Justin Shorter WR

balln

37 minutes ago, balln said:

We picked him in the 5th rd last year. Seemed like a reach. Couldn’t produce at two big time programs. When we needed WR development. Nacua , at Perry , wicks (and others w decent production) picked after him. Not gonna lie. It’s pretty disappointing we used a 5th on shorter only to cut him one year later. If you want to take fliers on size and speed - make it make sense? 7th or udfa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_NFL_draft

I don’t disagree but I’m also happy they finally cut ties with a lost cause. He was never worth the pick. Good on Beane for not being stuck on his draft pick. Now do better and draft more WRs and hire better scouts to look at WRs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Beane drafts more on physical traits than college production. Sometimes that works out and he finds value and sometimes it doesn't.

I agree, but when it comes to receivers specifically Beane seems allergic to speed. Not quite sure what his fascination is with big, plodding receivers who have below average speed, quickness, athleticism, and separation skills. This applies to non draft picks as well - see Andre Holmes, Kelvin Benjamin, Mack Hollins, and Chase Claypool. Tyrell Shavers also falls in this category.

Edited by buffblue
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Getting logical on this page???

sure for every 5th or later test has an impact their are 25 others that don’t.  The question in those successful becomes what was the reason? What did NFL scouting as a whole miss? Was it a perfect system fit?

Here's what one website said about that:

Why is Drafting Players so Difficult?

Drafting players is difficult at least in part because the scouting and evaluating part is the easy part. The more difficult part is developing the players that you drafted. How well players respond to coaching, and to a league where a player’s physical gifts are no longer a major advantage, are part of the factors that are difficult to assess pre-draft. How much work and discipline a player will exhibit after being handed millions can be an issue too.

Player development may also be affected by coaching ability, team culture, and fit in the particular scheme.

And there are other issues too that can impact draft success as well. Injuries. Off-field issues. Five first-round picks (of 14) for the Vikings over the last ten years had their careers derailed by injuries (Matt Kalil, Shariff Floyd, Teddy Bridgewater, Mike Hughes) or off-field incident (Jeff Gladney) that couldn’t have been anticipated in the pre-draft process. That was over a third of the Vikings’ total first-round picks.

And beyond Day One picks, teams are drafting players that have either some flaws, are more raw, haven’t faced top competition, have injury or off-field issues, or some combination of all four. All that leads some of the best drafting GMs, like Eric DeCosta of the Ravens, to say the NFL Draft is a luck-driven process. And that being the case, better to have more lottery tickets than less. Rick Spielman was a firm believer in that philosophy as well, which is also based on the idea that NFL teams undervalue later round picks, and overvalue first round picks, based on the history of draft pick compensation and actual player performance from each draft pick slot.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, balln said:

We picked him in the 5th rd last year. Seemed like a reach. Couldn’t produce at two big time programs. When we needed WR development. Nacua , at Perry , wicks (and others w decent production) picked after him. Not gonna lie. It’s pretty disappointing we used a 5th on shorter only to cut him one year later. If you want to take fliers on size and speed - make it make sense? 7th or udfa

Make it make sense: Shorter was one of the top recruits in the country as a senior. He has some elite physical traits that didn’t pan out during college. The reason that you take a flier on that guy in the 5th is because if you can harness those elite traits you have a stud. They couldn’t. It’s the same reason that you take a Josh Allen when a couple of potentially “safer” options in Rosen & Rudolph were on the board. They swung big and missed.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, balln said:

Much ado about nothing, our team doesn’t like to draft WRs in the first three rounds, (Coleman is the only one I can remember them drafting at a higher round in seven years) what that gets you is the occasional Shakir type of player that takes two years to get up to speed, that leaves two seasons of production out of the four that were available, is what it is here in Buffalo, any of our football nerds know if Carolina would draft WRs in the first two or three rounds? Not sure why our HC & GM are so adamantly against doing so, oh well, always hoping for the best, 

GO BILLS!!!

I also think he was drafted to fit a niche.  We didn't have big strong receivers who would be good endzone targets.  So, we took a flyer on a big physical receiver probably hoping that, at best, he would be used situationally but more likely be a guy on the practice squad who you could call up against teams where such a receiver would be useful (like we did with Hodgins).  Then, this past offseason we went out and got a ton of big physical (and better) receivers so his niche no longer exists.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, balln said:

I was high on AT Perry as a deep threat. He'd look really nice as wr#5 right now. 

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Make it make sense: Shorter was one of the top recruits in the country as a senior. He has some elite physical traits that didn’t pan out during college. The reason that you take a flier on that guy in the 5th is because of you can harness those elite traits you have a stud. They couldn’t. It’s the same reason that you take a Josh Allen when a couple of potentially “safer” options in Rosen & Rudolph were on the board. They swung big and missed.

Yea. Did I expect Shorter would work out? No. The history of those speed, size guys without the college production in the pros is bad. But is that a pick to hate on them for? No. Plenty of picks I'd question the strategy and the thinking behind. This wasn't one of them even though the results were not good.

48 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

For every Nakua, there are 5,000 Shorters or Stevensons.

We took our shot and missed. We’ve taken some others that have hit. Such is the NFL draft (and basketball and hockey).

37 minutes ago, MJS said:

A reach in the 5th round? There is no such thing. And he was projected to be a 5th round draft pick and graded as a "good backup with the potential to develop into starter." So, not a reach at all.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/justin-shorter/32005348-4f65-1252-2fb4-216da3af656d

Besides, he may be back on the practice squad. We'll see.

If you watched hom in college you would have known this woukd be the result. He was brutal at Fl . Im a Gator fan and when we drafted I busted out loud and laughed. 5 star bust. Went to Penn st. Left. Was even worse with the Gators. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. 

3 minutes ago, mollymalonesmafia said:

If you watched hom in college you would have known this woukd be the result. He was brutal at Fl . Im a Gator fan and when we drafted I busted out loud and laughed. 5 star bust. Went to Penn st. Left. Was even worse with the Gators. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. 

Hence why he got drafted in the 5th round despite excellent physical ability and metrics. You take risks like that in the 5th. High risk, high reward.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mollymalonesmafia said:

100%.  When they took him in the 5th, I was very surprised.  He hasn't been good since High School.  It was even more perplexing to see people on this board talking him up, like he was going to be a factor this year.

1 hour ago, JP51 said:

Our attention, insight attention and accumen drafting WR absolutely needs to drastically improve. I think Beane would even agree with that.  Such an impactful position in both production and cap percentage, you have got to be better. 

Our willingness to draft one in the higher rounds every year is our biggest problem.  It's rare to hit on a fourth and a fifth round pick (Davis and Shakir).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Everybody knows that drafting is an exact science and every draft pick should pan out.

Shorter was a 5th round developmental prospect, not a Day.1 or Day 2 projected starter.  Give me a freaking break.

The draft gurus around here who think they could do better...smh.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Not quite sure what his fascination is with big, plodding receivers who have below average speed, quickness, athleticism, and separation skills.

"There, but for the grace of God, go I"? 🤔

("I could have been a contender!")

Is it too late to see what future HoF WR Robert Foster has got on his plate? 🤣

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

For every Nakua, there are 5,000 Shorters or Stevensons.

The expected success rate of drafted prospects is wildly optimistic by fans.  I love reading draft scouting reports and even some game film, but scouting reports tend to highlight the “good” and it’s also a big step up from college to the NFL.

Further, if you follow the draft closely, you’ll hear reports that NFL teams often have far fewer players rated as “draftable” than there are picks in the draft.  Of course, “draftable” doesn’t mean guaranteed star or even guaranteed NFL player.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Everybody knows that drafting is an exact science and every draft pick should pan out.

Shorter was a 5th round developmental prospect, not a Day.1 or Day 2 projected starter.  Give me a freaking break.

The draft gurus around here who think they could do better...smh.

Lmao. Cant do much worse lately. Its also wha they get paid and trained to do. We have more misses than hits. Think about that. Its why our roster is where its at right now

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1