Justin Shorter WR

balln

2 hours ago, balln said:

We picked him in the 5th rd last year. Seemed like a reach. Couldn’t produce at two big time programs. When we needed WR development. Nacua , at Perry , wicks (and others w decent production) picked after him. Not gonna lie. It’s pretty disappointing we used a 5th on shorter only to cut him one year later. If you want to take fliers on size and speed - make it make sense? 7th or udfa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_NFL_draft

You should be running the show.

No, really.

1 minute ago, T master said:

Then if this season Colemen doesn't turn out to be what they thought he would & Xavier Worthy continues to be the player e was in college, and was sitting there for the taking only for the Bills to trade back, that will not look good on Beanes draft resume for the WR position .

We need to get past the Chiefs and their grabby DB’s in the playoffs when the flags don’t fly. Coleman is more physical, so he seems to fit our immediate needs better. 

I also would not be too quick to judge Coleman after a single year. He may take a little time.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I have long wanted Beane to add WRs throughout the draft.  After all how do you develop skill players if you don’t draft any?  That philosophy has clearly changed for Beane.  In the last 3 drafts he has utilized top 64 picks on Cook, Coleman and Kincaid.  Prior to these drafts Beane had never drafted an offense skill player in the first two rounds except Josh.  This change is overdue.  I hope he continues to add WR depth in next year’s draft.

I also agree Shorter was a lousy draft pick.  All that said, missing on a 5th rd pick is the norm.  I’m much more an annoyed about missing on Boogie Basham and Cody Ford.  Those are two 2nd round misses that have hurt the club.

I agree totally You get a 5th to pan out as a starter you are doing very well.  I do hope he has shifted his thought process and effectiveness here or we are going to have to overpay for our skill.  

1 hour ago, TFBillsfan said:

Beane has struggled thus far in his tenure with successfully drafting impactful WR’s. He’s mostly relied on addressing the position thru trades and FA. Outside of Coleman, he’s taking fliers on WR’s in the later rounds. I believe Davis, Shakir and Coleman are the only WR’s to make the roster under his tenure. I really don’t comprehend not finding Josh a young playmaker thru the draft in the early rounds. We need a legit playmaker to pair with Josh. Hoping that will be Coleman but not confident. 

Exactly.  Every top QB besides Mahomes has a top flight WR with him, and Mahomes has perhaps the best TE ever--and had Hill for a while, and they drafted Rice.  We just leave Josh hanging after shipping Diggs out.  

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The old Hindsight is 20-20 thread. 

people also B word “too soon to judge”.  

How and when would you suggest evaluating the GMs judgment on a pick?

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

people also B word “too soon to judge”.  

How and when would you suggest evaluating the GMs judgment on a pick?

I wouldn’t evaluate a GM over a single pick. The draft is hit or miss, so I’d look at his overall body of work. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T master said:

Then if this season Colemen doesn't turn out to be what they thought he would & Xavier Worthy continues to be the player e was in college, and was sitting there for the taking only for the Bills to trade back, that will not look good on Beanes draft resume for the WR position .

It's the bills... we already know how this is gonna play out. 

• Haha (+1) 1

What a difference between 5th round picks. Shakir (who lead the league in yards per target and catch percentage) and shorter.  

The draft stock of both Shakir and CVPG plummeted due to having freakishly short arms, like bottom 5%.  I’m sure they feel they’ve cracked the code on mid round value.  Only look at short armed players.  

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

I wouldn’t evaluate a GM over a single pick. The draft is hit or miss, so I’d look at his overall body of work. 

When does this happen? In hindsight?

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Left out.

Are we really bashing Beane for missing on a 5th rd pick?  This is same guy who found all-pro T Johnson in the 4th, Gabe Davis in the 4th, starting WR Shakir in the 5th, future starting C SVPG in the 5th and starting CB Benford in the 6th.

Consider the source.  He bashes 99% of the time.  Malcontent 

54 minutes ago, DeltaDigital said:

It's the bills... we already know how this is gonna play out. 

sounds like you need a new past time then

4 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Yup…this was a very poor pick…I remember watching his highlights when we picked him…

Whether it was his stiff herky jerky running style or his poor hands, nothing about this guy impressed me and I had a bad feeling it was going to be a miss…

Not sure what Beane saw in this guy…

Agreed.  As soon as I saw the tape I absolutely hated the pick.  The guy was clearly a stiff.  I have no clue what Beane was thinking with that selection.  One of the worst of his tenure.

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Left out.

Are we really bashing Beane for missing on a 5th rd pick?  This is same guy who found all-pro T Johnson in the 4th, Gabe Davis in the 4th, starting WR Shakir in the 5th, future starting C SVPG in the 5th and starting CB Benford in the 6th.

Not bashing. But when you have a Josh Allen / big qb contract - gotta HIT on some of these picks. We just don’t have any impact players. And the thesis of post was - there WERE WRs (multiple) to hit on in , in this particular draft

just a bummer.

Of all the things to complain about under Beane's management, you go after his day three draft strategy? He is the king of the league in that one hyperspecific area. Don't discount it - we've found an almost unbelievable amount of starting caliber talent in the throwaway rounds. One year's Justin Shorter is the next year's Tylan Grable. Couldn't reasonably ask for more.

By the way every team missed on Nacua. Including the Rams - they would have taken him three rounds earlier if they had known what he could be.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Of all the things to complain about under Beane's management, you go after his day three draft strategy? He is the king of the league in that one hyperspecific area. Don't discount it - we've found an almost unbelievable amount of starting caliber talent in the throwaway rounds. One year's Justin Shorter is the next year's Tylan Grable. Couldn't reasonably ask for more.

By the way every team missed on Nacua. Including the Rams - they would have taken him three rounds earlier if they had known what he could be.

Again- not so much a complaint on beane. Of course I’m not gonna rag on him for a 5th. Just a true fanboy disappointed expecting beane magic to make this dk metcalf body into a real WR. One year later. Cut. Not even signed to PS. I know it’s part of the biz. I’m just feeling the clock on the Allen era and bringing a Super Bowl to B Lo

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Left out.

It’s all a crap shoot.   Even can’t miss early first rounders fail.  There may be some issues with scouting and decision-making.  Why draft a man cover CB in the first round and expect him to be able to transition to zone (round peg in square hole)?

Picking a WR highly touted with a proven track record at a major college program increases the probability of that player making it in the NFL.  Taking a WR in the 5th round from a lower level school who doesn’t have impressive college football stats decreases the chances.