Justin Shorter WR

balln

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. Did I expect Shorter would work out? No. The history of those speed, size guys without the college production in the pros is bad. But is that a pick to hate on them for? No. Plenty of picks I'd question the strategy and the thinking behind. This wasn't one of them even though the results were not good.

He had very little production in college because he had Anthony Richardson throwing to him.

In some games Richardson couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

Beane has struggled thus far in his tenure with successfully drafting impactful WR’s. He’s mostly relied on addressing the position thru trades and FA. Outside of Coleman, he’s taking fliers on WR’s in the later rounds. I believe Davis, Shakir and Coleman are the only WR’s to make the roster under his tenure. I really don’t comprehend not finding Josh a young playmaker thru the draft in the early rounds. We need a legit playmaker to pair with Josh. Hoping that will be Coleman but not confident. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Left out.

Are we really bashing Beane for missing on a 5th rd pick?  This is same guy who found all-pro T Johnson in the 4th, Gabe Davis in the 4th, starting WR Shakir in the 5th, future starting C SVPG in the 5th and starting CB Benford in the 6th.

Cant speak for the board but I am certainly not bashing missing on a 5 he has hit some very productive players mid late rounds. I do have concerns on the attention, and priority he puts on the use of his assets in drafting of WR.  So NO complaining from me about missing on Shorter and Hitting on Shakir etc... more who are you passing up in Rds 1,2 and 3 we need to put some tickets in that basket. (I do like the Kincaid call) Draft is an educated crap shoot, but the players drafted day 1 and 2 have a greater likelihood of being productive.   I think we need to adjust our focus and priority accordingly especially as we are paying pretty good money for B/C receivers.... I feel like we need to be able to grow our own... Butler, Reed, Moulds, Evans Watki.... err maybe not lol.. etc....  (yes I know this was whaley lol) 

Edited by JP51

16 minutes ago, mollymalonesmafia said:

Lmao. Cant do much worse lately. Its also wha they get paid and trained to do. We have more misses than hits. Think about that. Its why our roster is where its at right now

Every GM in the league has more misses than hits if you're talking a 7 round draft.

The only non-starter that has been drafted in the 1st in this regime is Elam.  

Oliver, Allen, Kincaid, Edmunds (Bears), Rousseau, White (Rams)

13 minutes ago, JP51 said:

Cant speak for the board but I am certainly not bashing missing on a 5 he has hit some very productive players mid late rounds. I do have concerns on the attention, and priority he puts on the use of his assets in drafting of WR.  So NO complaining from me about missing on Shorter and Hitting on Shakir etc... more who are you passing up in Rds 1,2 and 3 we need to put some tickets in that basket. (I do like the Kincaid call) Draft is an educated crap shoot, but the players drafted day 1 and 2 have a greater likelihood of being productive.   I think we need to adjust our focus and priority accordingly especially as we are paying pretty good money for B/C receivers.... I feel like we need to be able to grow our own... Butler, Reed, Moulds, Evans Watki.... err maybe not lol.. etc....  (yes I know this was whaley lol) 

I have long wanted Beane to add WRs throughout the draft.  After all how do you develop skill players if you don’t draft any?  That philosophy has clearly changed for Beane.  In the last 3 drafts he has utilized top 64 picks on Cook, Coleman and Kincaid.  Prior to these drafts Beane had never drafted an offense skill player in the first two rounds except Josh.  This change is overdue.  I hope he continues to add WR depth in next year’s draft.

I also agree Shorter was a lousy draft pick.  All that said, missing on a 5th rd pick is the norm.  I’m much more an annoyed about missing on Boogie Basham and Cody Ford.  Those are two 2nd round misses that have hurt the club.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I thought all the 5th round picks from 2024 made the team

5 (141): C Sedrick Van Pran, Georgia.

5 (160): LB Edefuan Ulofoshio, Washington.

5 (168): ED Javon Solomon, Troy.

They did lol, we actually have done pretty well with 5th rounders recently. Shakir, Doyle, Neal, Milano. 

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, mollymalonesmafia said:

Lmao. Cant do much worse lately. Its also wha they get paid and trained to do. We have more misses than hits. Think about that. Its why our roster is where its at right now

We all knew this would be a tight year on the cap, a “get well year”, if you will. And we still have the 7th best Super Bowl odds in the league. Yeah, we’re pretty terrible. 

Obviously time will tell, but I think this last draft is going to fill a lot of holes over the next few years. I really liked this draft, especially if Keon can focus 100% on football and improve his route running and separation. I’m also optimistic about next year with more cap space and plenty of draft picks. My second favorite team this year is anyone playing the Vikings! 😂 

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I thought all the 5th round picks from 2024 made the team

5 (141): C Sedrick Van Pran, Georgia.

5 (160): LB Edefuan Ulofoshio, Washington.

5 (168): ED Javon Solomon, Troy.

Ours did, yes. My point was there are other teams who cut a good portion of their draft picks from this year already.

Not that I hold the Colts as any standard to aspire to. That's a low bar.

But cutting a 5th rounder from last year is no big deal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, balln said:

We picked him in the 5th rd last year. Seemed like a reach. Couldn’t produce at two big time programs. When we needed WR development. Nacua , at Perry , wicks (and others w decent production) picked after him. Not gonna lie. It’s pretty disappointing we used a 5th on shorter only to cut him one year later. If you want to take fliers on size and speed - make it make sense? 7th or udfa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_NFL_draft

Then if this season Colemen doesn't turn out to be what they thought he would & Xavier Worthy continues to be the player e was in college, and was sitting there for the taking only for the Bills to trade back, that will not look good on Beanes draft resume for the WR position .