Justin Shorter WR

balln

We picked him in the 5th rd last year. Seemed like a reach. Couldn’t produce at two big time programs. When we needed WR development. Nacua , at Perry , wicks (and others w decent production) picked after him. Not gonna lie. It’s pretty disappointing we used a 5th on shorter only to cut him one year later. If you want to take fliers on size and speed - make it make sense? 7th or udfa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_NFL_draft

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 3

4 minutes ago, balln said:

We picked him in the 5th rd last year. Seemed like a reach. Couldn’t produce at two big time programs. When we needed WR development. Nacua , at Perry , wicks (and others w decent production) picked after him. Not gonna lie. It’s pretty disappointing we used a 5th on shorter only to cut him one year later. If you want to take fliers on size and speed - make it make sense? 7th or udfa

Our attention, insight attention and accumen drafting WR absolutely needs to drastically improve. I think Beane would even agree with that.  Such an impactful position in both production and cap percentage, you have got to be better. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He did hit on Gabe Davis & Khalil Shakir on Day 3. 

That said, I think taking guys for Special Teams in RD5, when we haven't had particularly strong Special Teams play lately, is a tough sell and worth re-evaluating. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, balln said:

It happens man.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JP51 said:

Our attention, insight attention and accumen drafting WR absolutely needs to drastically improve. I think Beane would even agree with that.  Such an impactful position in both production and cap percentage, you have got to be better. 

Davis and Shakir are pretty solid hits. Both mid rd guys.  Both productive players in college at smaller schools.  Boise and UCF.  Shorter is a bit of a break from their norm with an ultra traits guy and highly regarded recruit. He didnt work out.  Shavers is a similar player and prospect but closer to the field imo. 

17 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Just looked at a couple of websites, the average number of 5th rounds that stick around is very low.  Depending on which site you go by, it's somewhere between 15% to 40%   So no not disappointing, just normal.

Getting logical on this page???

sure for every 5th or later test has an impact their are 25 others that don’t.  The question in those successful becomes what was the reason? What did NFL scouting as a whole miss? Was it a perfect system fit?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

He did hit on Gabe Davis & Khalil Shakir on Day 3. 

That said, I think taking guys for Special Teams in RD5, when we haven't had particularly strong Special Teams play lately, is a tough sell and worth re-evaluating. 

I think a big difference is those guys produced in college. Davis had 1200 yards and 12 tds his last year in college. Shakir had almost 1200 and 7 tds his last year. In one year, they almost out did what shorter did in 5.

college stats can be very deceiving but his lack of production in 5 years is really telling. Reminds me of Robert Foster.

22 minutes ago, JP51 said:

This is beyond debate.  Their college and (especially) pro personnel track record with receivers has been really poor.  Have to do some self-correction here.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, balln said:

Yup…this was a very poor pick…I remember watching his highlights when we picked him…

Whether it was his stiff herky jerky running style or his poor hands, nothing about this guy impressed me and I had a bad feeling it was going to be a miss…

Not sure what Beane saw in this guy…

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Ah thanks, I always wondered what position he played

Left out.

Are we really bashing Beane for missing on a 5th rd pick?  This is same guy who found all-pro T Johnson in the 4th, Gabe Davis in the 4th, starting WR Shakir in the 5th, future starting C SVPG in the 5th and starting CB Benford in the 6th.

A reach in the 5th round? There is no such thing. And he was projected to be a 5th round draft pick and graded as a "good backup with the potential to develop into starter." So, not a reach at all.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/justin-shorter/32005348-4f65-1252-2fb4-216da3af656d

Besides, he may be back on the practice squad. We'll see.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1