No Bills claimed on waivers. Time to calm down?

MWK

Only guy I was worried about getting claimed was Hardy. What we (all fanbases) tend to overlook is just how hard some of these cuts are for teams to go from 90 to 53. We all get attached, but if any of these guys are claimed on waivers, they must be on the 53. Just like we have preferences, so does every team in the league. And when teams are putting together their practice squads, they tend to lean on familiarity. Here’s hoping we can get Hardy back on the PS and continue developing him as a CB. 

Some of the excitement for fringe players confuses me.

For example, we all know what Trubisky can and can't do.  He's started 57 NFL regular season games.  So we have strong opinions about whether or not he should be our backup.  

But some of these fringe guys have barely - if at all - seen live NFL gameday action.  All we know about them is what we've seen in preseason and heard from second-hand camp reports from non experts.  Beane and the coaches, on the other hand, know what kind of attitudes they have, how well and hard they practice, how they get along with coaches and teammates, how coachable and trustworthy they are, and so on.  I'm not faulting Beane for any of the cuts when his knowledge of these guys is infinitely greater than mine.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

Some of the excitement for fringe players confuses me.

For example, we all know what Trubisky can and can't do.  He's started 57 NFL regular season games.  So we have strong opinions about whether or not he should be our backup.  

But some of these fringe guys have barely - if at all - seen live NFL gameday action.  All we know about them is what we've seen in preseason and heard from second-hand camp reports from non experts.  Beane and the coaches, on the other hand, know what kind of attitudes they have, how well and hard they practice, how they get along with coaches and teammates, how coachable and trustworthy they are, and so on.  I'm not faulting Beane for any of the cuts when his knowledge of these guys is infinitely greater than mine.  

I think that we're all too involved in parts of the game that fans didn't used to pay attention to. The combine is televised and mock drafts are a thing. People have strong reactions to 7th round picks. Then we get a lot more access via social media to training camp practices. So we form strong opinions about players when we don't really have the full information. Then, when we start sharing those opinions on social media and message boards, two things happen. First of all, a sort of groupthink sets in where those opinions become narratives and then facts. Secondly, the Internet doesn't allow people to change their hot takes because everyone has "receipts." Long story short, no one stressed about end of the roster cuts in the 90's because we had no idea who these guys were. Now we have enough info to form opinions but not enough to form informed opinions. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, PonyBoy said:

Great....Now what are we going to be upset about today? 🫤😀

Just wait.  If the Bills do not add Hardy to the Practice Squad the board will implode again.  

37 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Every year there's some Bills play er who wins what I call the Duke Williams award given to the player who everyone here is convinced will be grabbed up in second, but doesn't.  It shows you that NFL front office types and coaches, know what a true NFL roster player looks like more than most here do.

Or they just miss or value their own more. I’d like to see a list of cut players who went on to shine once given an opportunity. Of course Jason Peters comes to mind and at the time he was cut I was convinced another team would grab him. These guys don’t get it right all the time.