UDFA and local boy Joe Andreesson makes Bills roster

DJB

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think Depew High has football.

I think he made it specifically for the new fangled kickoffs, so he will be playing some.

I think he made it specifically for the new fangled kickoffs, so he will be playing some.

They do, but while Lancaster is Class AA, Depew is Class C. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Depew is 4 miles from center of Lancaster;  Lancaster is right next to Depew.

Depew High School is considered a small school with an enrollment at approximately 700 students in grades 9 - 12.

He may have chosen to go to Lancaster High School since Depew High School likely did not have enough players for 11 man football.

Parts of the village of Depew are in the Lancaster School District. The cut off is Columbia Dr.

16 hours ago, Logic said:

Great story, no doubt.

He is more raw and requires more refinement and seasoning than he showed in the Pittsburgh game. I agree with the notion that he likely wouldn't have made it to the practice squad, so the Bills' hand was somewhat forced.

I will say this: It's best not to get too attached to bottom-of-roster guys who miraculously make the 53 until a week or so has passed. The possibility of a cut from another team being signed by the Bills and forcing a fringe player or two off the roster exists and is not all that remote.

Exactly, there are the cuts after the cuts... somehow though I dont think he becomes a casualty. I know the story shouldnt be part of the process, but man I could see pitchforks if they cut him now LOL... but who knows.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JP51 said:

Exactly, there are the cuts after the cuts... somehow though I dont think he becomes a casualty. I know the story shouldnt be part of the process, but man I could see pitchforks if they cut him now LOL... but who knows.

Pitchforks are usual with Bills fans.  They are only in trouble when points are on flame.

:devil:

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:

They do, but while Lancaster is Class AA, Depew is Class C. 

I was thinking the same thing. Lancaster is a bigger school. May have transferred for more exposure. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think Depew High has football.

Promo, that’s likely as SF also kept 6 LB’s as it sounds as you mentioned Linebackers will most likely be more integral in this new kick off set up.  It will be more of a balance, elusiveness, and power than in the past with WR’s.

2 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

He lives in the Lancaster School District. No mystery here.

Ok. I thought I read he went to Depew first. If that was the case, he either was enrolled in the wrong school, or the family moved. 

16 hours ago, folz said:

I am not someone that gets hyped over bottom-of-the-roster preseason warriors. Like a receiver who makes a couple of nice grabs in the preseason vs. 3s and 4s.

But I have watched a lot of football, and Joe certainly passed the eye test for me. It's not like he played a few snaps and made a couple of nice plays. He was around the football on every single play whether he ended up making the play or not---and versus the ones, twos, and threes of Pitt. You can't teach those instincts and not every player has them. That's what stood out initially about Milano too (a 5th round pick that many fans didn't expect much out of), those instincts---having a nose for the ball, as they say. And it seemed the majority of Bills fans also didn't expect Bernard to be anything but a wasted pick. Maybe, just maybe, Brandon, Sean, and Bobby are better judges of LBs for our system than many of us are.

I don't think Joe is in any danger of falling off the roster or just a feel good story. I think he's the real deal.

And couldn’t come at a better time either w/ the Milano injury. He’ll gain some valuable experience 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Punching Bag said:

Pitchforks are usual with Bills fans.  They are only in trouble when points are on flame.

:devil:

LOL well said :)

17 hours ago, folz said:

I am not someone that gets hyped over bottom-of-the-roster preseason warriors. Like a receiver who makes a couple of nice grabs in the preseason vs. 3s and 4s.

But I have watched a lot of football, and Joe certainly passed the eye test for me. It's not like he played a few snaps and made a couple of nice plays. He was around the football on every single play whether he ended up making the play or not---and versus the ones, twos, and threes of Pitt. You can't teach those instincts and not every player has them. That's what stood out initially about Milano too (a 5th round pick that many fans didn't expect much out of), those instincts---having a nose for the ball, as they say. And it seemed the majority of Bills fans also didn't expect Bernard to be anything but a wasted pick. Maybe, just maybe, Brandon, Sean, and Bobby are better judges of LBs for our system than many of us are.

I don't think Joe is in any danger of falling off the roster or just a feel good story. I think he's the real deal.

Huge deal if he is... anytime you get an UDFA to be the real deal its just a huge win. 

Edited by JP51
  • Like (+1) 1

Seriously,  regardless of how you FEEL about the hype or the story,  can't we acknowledge how rare and impressive it is for anyone to make it from rookie camp tryout onto the active roster in the same year. 

Edited by wakingfane
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, wakingfane said:

Seriously,  regardless of how you FEEL about the hype or the story,  can't we acknowledge how rare and impressive it is for anyone to make it from rookie camp tryout onto the active roster in the same year. 

Our new returner Cosmagington was the same way this year I believe. Try-out for the Jets

20 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He wasn't even a UDFA. He was signed off a rookie tryout. You can probably count all the NFL players who made a team from a tryout on one hand!

Well, according to NFL.com, there are about 500 undrafted players on 53-man rosters. That is 29.5% of the league. So, nearly 1/3 of the league went undrafted. Of course, they didn't denote which were priority UDFA and which may have been tryout guys.

I couldn't find much info on tryout players, but here is a 2018 article from the Tampa Bay Bucs listing 5 tryout players who have made the Bucs 53-man roster. That meets your "one hand" prediction from just one team (out of 32).

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/five-times-a-tryout-player-made-it-20627393

RB Clifton Smith, T Demar Dotson, DE George Johnson, WR Donteea Dye, WR Adam Humphries. Combined they played 28 seasons in the NFL.

I couldn't find any comprehensive list, but here are a few more guys I found that made it in the NFL off of tryouts:

Adam Thielen, Malcolm Butler, John Randle, Antonio Gates, Chris Harris, Jr., James Harrison, Wayne Chrebet, Michael Lewis, Gunner Olszewski, D'ernest Johnson, Charcandrick West, Bernie Parmalee.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/27/2024 at 4:18 PM, Dablitzkrieg said:

So many threads for a player who really isn't that good, smh

That's highly subjective.. his NFL potential is yet to be seen 

But he was a division one All-American at Bryant FCS.. when do you be where he dethroned Shawn dolak the nation's leading tackler.. and led the bulls in tackles 

And tackles for loss 

Every single player on an NFL roster through the practice squad has talent... The difference is usually scheme fit and versatility and opportunity

He's not a bum

38 minutes ago, folz said:

Well, according to NFL.com, there are about 500 undrafted players on 53-man rosters. That is 29.5% of the league. So, nearly 1/3 of the league went undrafted. Of course, they didn't denote which were priority UDFA and which may have been tryout guys.

I couldn't find much info on tryout players, but here is a 2018 article from the Tampa Bay Bucs listing 5 tryout players who have made the Bucs 53-man roster. That meets your "one hand" prediction from just one team (out of 32).

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/five-times-a-tryout-player-made-it-20627393

RB Clifton Smith, T Demar Dotson, DE George Johnson, WR Donteea Dye, WR Adam Humphries. Combined they played 28 seasons in the NFL.

I couldn't find any comprehensive list, but here are a few more guys I found that made it in the NFL off of tryouts:

Adam Thielen, Malcolm Butler, John Randle, Antonio Gates, Chris Harris, Jr., James Harrison, Wayne Chrebet, Michael Lewis, Gunner Olszewski, D'ernest Johnson, Charcandrick West, Bernie Parmalee.

You are correct around 30% of the league is undrafted free agents 

There is a massive difference between a signed on drafted free agent and a rookie camp tryout player though 

Those guys are definitely less than 5% of the undrafted free agents.. it's very surprising

On 8/27/2024 at 4:15 PM, Logic said:

Great story, no doubt.

He is more raw and requires more refinement and seasoning than he showed in the Pittsburgh game. I agree with the notion that he likely wouldn't have made it to the practice squad, so the Bills' hand was somewhat forced.

I will say this: It's best not to get too attached to bottom-of-roster guys who miraculously make the 53 until a week or so has passed. The possibility of a cut from another team being signed by the Bills and forcing a fringe player or two off the roster exists and is not all that remote.

It's not that I think we found a surprise All Pro but it appears that he has excellent instincts and tackling ability. I tend to trust analysis from Cover One and their comp was to Dorian Williams as a downhill runner with a knack of shooting the gap. Considering how barren LB was at the end of last year having quality depth seems worth celebrating. With a year to develop who knows.