UDFA and local boy Joe Andreesson makes Bills roster

DJB

I am not someone that gets hyped over bottom-of-the-roster preseason warriors. Like a receiver who makes a couple of nice grabs in the preseason vs. 3s and 4s.

But I have watched a lot of football, and Joe certainly passed the eye test for me. It's not like he played a few snaps and made a couple of nice plays. He was around the football on every single play whether he ended up making the play or not---and versus the ones, twos, and threes of Pitt. You can't teach those instincts and not every player has them. That's what stood out initially about Milano too (a 5th round pick that many fans didn't expect much out of), those instincts---having a nose for the ball, as they say. And it seemed the majority of Bills fans also didn't expect Bernard to be anything but a wasted pick. Maybe, just maybe, Brandon, Sean, and Bobby are better judges of LBs for our system than many of us are.

I don't think Joe is in any danger of falling off the roster or just a feel good story. I think he's the real deal.

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 6

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, DJB said:

Stop it I’ve already bought his jersey and petitioning for his statue outside the Bills new stadium. 

There better be some #44 jerseys at the home opener.

2 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

…you say as you complain about it on the internet 🫣

He went out there and made an NFL roster, something neither of us will ever do. At the end of the day that’s impressive as hell, especially for a UDFA.

He wasn't even a UDFA. He was signed off a rookie tryout. You can probably count all the NFL players who made a team from a tryout on one hand!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

But it’s a good story about a local kid earning every snap of his career. UDFA kid got a shot and took advantage of his opportunity. Even if his career is short lived, he can say he made it. It’s worth rooting for.

Didn’t we have a udfa WR that was from Buffalo during the Fitz years ? I can’t remember his name. He contributed a few seasons. My mind is drawing a blank 

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Great story, no doubt.

He is more raw and requires more refinement and seasoning than he showed in the Pittsburgh game. I agree with the notion that he likely wouldn't have made it to the practice squad, so the Bills' hand was somewhat forced.

I will say this: It's best not to get too attached to bottom-of-roster guys who miraculously make the 53 until a week or so has passed. The possibility of a cut from another team being signed by the Bills and forcing a fringe player or two off the roster exists and is not all that remote.

Or sure, go ahead and bring everyone down…, 

🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Christ; this picture was from… what?  Probably 2006?  Makes me feel old AF.

Stands to reason, you are old AF, 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, RiotAct said:

haha I’m only 37, but if that pic is indeed from 2006 I was a sophomore at UB when it was taken.

Don’t feel bad I’m the true old AF guy, I turn 66 next year 😁

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Didn’t we have a udfa WR that was from Buffalo during the Fitz years ? I can’t remember his name. He contributed a few seasons. My mind is drawing a blank 

Naaman Roosevelt

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, folz said:

I am not someone that gets hyped over bottom-of-the-roster preseason warriors. Like a receiver who makes a couple of nice grabs in the preseason vs. 3s and 4s.

But I have watched a lot of football, and Joe certainly passed the eye test for me. It's not like he played a few snaps and made a couple of nice plays. He was around the football on every single play whether he ended up making the play or not---and versus the ones, twos, and threes of Pitt. You can't teach those instincts and not every player has them. That's what stood out initially about Milano too (a 5th round pick that many fans didn't expect much out of), those instincts---having a nose for the ball, as they say. And it seemed the majority of Bills fans also didn't expect Bernard to be anything but a wasted pick. Maybe, just maybe, Brandon, Sean, and Bobby are better judges of LBs for our system than many of us are.

I don't think Joe is in any danger of falling off the roster or just a feel good story. I think he's the real deal.

People may be surprised.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

Sure, but some players have the benefit of their draft stock giving them an added edge at roster cutdowns. If you invested a pick, you may be more likely to keep that player vs a guy who signed off the street. 

This x100.

found this out the hard way when I played minor league baseball 😤

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, billsfan714 said:

But he's from Depew!!! Go Wildcats!!!

41 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not sure why but he went to Lancaster High.

Depew is 4 miles from center of Lancaster;  Lancaster is right next to Depew.

Depew High School is considered a small school with an enrollment at approximately 700 students in grades 9 - 12.

He may have chosen to go to Lancaster High School since Depew High School likely did not have enough players for 11 man football.

I’m not sure why people are so cynical as he’s just barely making the team as a backup that most likely won’t see the field.  If he does he’s all heart like Rudy.

Im happy for him, but doesn’t think he would take the field for maybe a year or two.   He may develop into something special, or maybe he ends up as a career backup and makes his parents proud he has his own Bills jersey.

6 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Depew is 4 miles from center of Lancaster;  Lancaster is right next to Depew.

Depew High School is considered a small school with an enrollment at approximately 700 students in grades 9 - 12.

He may have chosen to go to Lancaster High School since Depew High School likely did not have enough players for 11 man football.

I think Depew High has football.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’m not sure why people are so cynical as he’s just barely making the team as a backup that most likely won’t see the field.  If he does he’s all heart like Rudy.

Im happy for him, but doesn’t think he would take the field for maybe a year or two.   He may develop into something special, or maybe he ends up as a career backup and makes his parents proud he has his own Bills jersey.

I think he made it specifically for the new fangled kickoffs, so he will be playing some.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Edited by PromoTheRobot