Bills acquire Jets DB and return man Brandon Codrington

DJB

This is a weird trade. This kid doesn’t know your defense, he’s another one trick special teamer. McDermott just can’t get out of the past. He always short changes the main units of the team for these limited use guys. Hamler or Isabella bring speed to your offense and perform return duties. Is the net return yardage going to win games? I think fast receivers help you more, even if they are merely decoys 60% of the time. Or keep TeCory Couch, he played some good ball. It’s difficult to believe nobody in the building can return kicks. This is not the roster thread but I find their decision making quite puzzling at times. For all the talk about Shavers he doesn’t appear on the 53, but Baylon (forever injured ) Spector is on there. Morris over Davidson, though the latter is a better receiver. Well, coming back around to this trade, I’m sure the jets traded Codrington because he was too good. Beane’s genius will shine through and I’ll eat my hat when he scores against NYJ.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Jimmy Harris 69 said:

This is a weird trade. This kid doesn’t know your defense, he’s another one trick special teamer. McDermott just can’t get out of the past. He always short changes the main units of the team for these limited use guys. Hamler or Isabella bring speed to your offense and perform return duties. Is the net return yardage going to win games? I think fast receivers help you more, even if they are merely decoys 60% of the time. Or keep TeCory Couch, he played some good ball. It’s difficult to believe nobody in the building can return kicks. This is not the roster thread but I find their decision making quite puzzling at times. For all the talk about Shavers he doesn’t appear on the 53, but Baylon (forever injured ) Spector is on there. Morris over Davidson, though the latter is a better receiver. Well, coming back around to this trade, I’m sure the jets traded Codrington because he was too good. Beane’s genius will shine through and I’ll eat my hat when he scores against NYJ.  

It’s definitely a weird trade and it gives me zero confidence in our special teams with the new rules this year. It’s so easy to take a full offseason and training camp with all your returners and flush it down the toilet for a guy the jets didn’t want to keep themselves. What about all of the trick plays you’ve been working on this whole time so you didn’t show your cards during preseason 👎…Smiley is a garbage special teams coordinator and should’ve been fired last offseason. The FO and coaching staff continually underwhelms when it comes to game planning and building around Josh. But hey we’ve got Josh so we’ll be ok, smiley, McD and all the jags can ride his coat tail as per usual 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy Harris 69 said:

Jets insiders reported the team was going to cut Codrington. By trading for him, the Bills ensured they wouldn’t have to beat out any other teams for his services. Call me skeptical of the move. Returners have to have speed, or a phenomenal blocking unit. For as much as we invest in special teams we’ve never been great at blocking returns. I think he’ll make good decisions fielding the ball, but will also look slow. Like a Chris Watson 2.0 “punt catcher.”

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

Exactly.  Seems the Jets are betting they will finish with a better record than the Bills in 2025 and are assuming the Bills will have a higher draft pick in the 7th round.  If they assume incorrectly, Buffalo actually improves their draft position in the late round (unless I'm not accounting for something).

it’s Codrington + Jets’ 7th round for Bills’ 6th round

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Process said:

How bad must Hamler have been for them to trade for a guy rather than just have him fill in for a few weeks?

I wondered that myself. Same with Isabella? Both have had their moments in the NFL. Maybe it was about the financials???

3 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

Too bad they didn't try Deon Cain as a return man. He did that pretty well in the spring league.

I'm not sure why Cain was signed so late in TC. He looked good at WR against Carolina.

For the Practice Squad.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

It's like Beane and Mcdermott don't understand speed,  this guy ran a 4.61 forty. They could have easily found something better on the street

Breaking news:  Kick returners are sometimes judged on other bases than speed. This may shock many.

One of those other factors is how well they guy runs back kicks.

Codrington ran back two kickoffs this season for a total of 75 yards. 6th highest in the league among all who returned even one kick. And four of those other five guys only ran back one kick, perhaps (underline perhaps) being so good on one kick from luck.

He ran back three punts, qualifying for the official list, which requires three or more returns.

He was 2nd best in the league on that list of the 20 guys with 3 or more returns.

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punt-returns/2024/preseason?limit=100&sort=pravg

Considering that this preseason is the only data we have to work with on the new kickoff method ...

No, they really could probably not have found something better on the street, based on available evidence. They could have found someone faster.

There is a difference.

I get what you were doing. But adding in the last sentence made pointing out his actual results this preseason seem worthwhile to me.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

All I see is a Meh roster overall and them sticking with people who are Meh

and bringing in bargain basement players who are Meh.

Underwhelmed is the word of the day.

That you see a Meh roster overall is on you.

Vegas has them as varying between the 6th to 8th favorites.

That ain't meh. It ain't elite either, but it ain't meh.

Curious move.  If he can make a few good returns than its a win.  No one really did anything with the return job.  Hamler wasn't sure handed enough and Hardy was going to try and return everything.  Dont hate it. 

10 hours ago, Jimmy Harris 69 said:

This is what the anti-STs guys always say on here. "Is the extra guy on STs going to win games?"

The actual answer is that it's more likely to help the team than what a different 53rd man would add to the offense or defense.

Where are all the 52nd and 53rd men winning all these games that you folks seem to assume are all over the place among teams that don't do what we do with our STs guys. Fact is you do see guys on the last couple of guys on the roster make a difference on O or D but it is extremely unusual. Generally if the 52nd or 53rd guy has to play one week, the team is picking up someone better on waivers to use the next week.

Whereas the specialty STs guys on the contrary play a bunch of snaps and sometimes make big plays, a nice tackle on a kick, a good block that though usually unnoticed may spring a guy for extra yards, and occasionally a Matakevich will make a beautiful play by recovering that surprise onside kick the way he did or forcing a fumble, or just a guy like Codrington not fumbling, which nobody notices, but it can nonetheless be hugely important.

You're right that Codrington is unlikely to score against the Jets. Even more unlikely to make any impact would be a #53 guy sitting on the bench.

And again, we didn't trade a 2024 6th. They're already used. We didn't even trade next year's 6th, a 2025. 

We traded a 2026 pick!!!!!!!!! 2026!!! Hell, we got back a 7th in the same year. This was a tiny price to pay, and it's not like it would likely have brought us a starter or a quality backup if used elsewhere.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

If he's playing on defense we've had a very bad day

They got him to also cover Marvin Harrison Jr for opening week.

Think Jeff Van Gundy hanging on Alonzo Mourning’s leg

54 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Curious move.  If he can make a few good returns than its a win.  No one really did anything with the return job.  Hamler wasn't sure handed enough and Hardy was going to try and return everything.  Dont hate it. 

It's a curious move from the Jets' standpoint if he's really a difference-maker.  The Jets DIRECTED him to the Bills - they made sure, basically for free, that no other team but the Bills could have him.  If he wins a single game for us this season it's a terrible move from the Jets' standpoint, but you have to wonder why they'd do something like this if he was truly special.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Breaking news:  Kick returners are sometimes judged on other bases than speed. This may shock many.

One of those other factors is how well they guy runs back kicks.

Codrington ran back two kickoffs this season for a total of 75 yards. 6th highest in the league among all who returned even one kick. And four of those other five guys only ran back one kick, perhaps (underline perhaps) being so good on one kick from luck.

He ran back three punts, qualifying for the official list, which requires three or more returns.

He was 2nd best in the league on that list of the 20 guys with 3 or more returns.

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punt-returns/2024/preseason?limit=100&sort=pravg

Considering that this preseason is the only data we have to work with on the new kickoff method ...

No, they really could probably not have found something better on the street, based on available evidence. They could have found someone faster.

There is a difference.

I get what you were doing. But adding in the last sentence made pointing out his actual results this preseason seem worthwhile to me.

Tasker has said it and I think he is right it is now less about pure speed and more about contact balance. I have no ide if this guy is good or will work out but I am pretty confident the answer wasn't Hamler or Isabella. If Hardy is fully healthy I'd have been happy to ride with him even though his decision making was questionable in pre-season but if he is not they had to make a move.