Zach Davidson vs. Marquez Valdes-Scantling

Coach55

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Davidson hasn't done enough imo to be worthy of a spot. I actually think that McKitty is a better fit for what Buffalo wants to do in both the run and pass game. I dont think either make it unless Morris is put on IR but I would take McKitty or Davidson.

If Morris out for a long time I have no issue keeping Davidson on active roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Coach55 said:

If the Bills are smart and are trying to put together the best roster, they should rethink the whole offense this year putting both Knox and Kincaid on the field for 75%+ of the plays (think 2006 Patriots with Hernandez and Gronk).  If such is the case, I would make a strong argument that the Bills should keep Zach Davidson as a 4th tight end on the active roster (5th if you include Gilliam).  If you do this, it reduces the WR roster to 5 making MVS the odd man out.  Not sure if Brady is that forward thinking, but personally, I would rather have a 6'7" tight end who catches everything thrown at him as opposed to a speedster that never lived up to his potential and has a notorious drop problem (who in this case has also been injured practically all of pre-season).  Thoughts?

Why not keep both?? Davidson ain't getting cut dude... not even close. He is on the team and will bet as productive as KIncaid. He has opened eyes league wide. They literally pulled him off the field in preseason game #2 to bubble wrap him after he put a move on the LBer like I've never seen before. His hands are solid and he is as good as Kincaid. Some argue better. We don't need extra useless WR's when we have Kincaid and Zach. But MVS has a spot. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Low Positive said:

We are already down to 5 WITH MVS.

1. Coleman
  2. Shakir
  3. Samuel
  4. Hollins
  5. MVS

Am I missing someone?

Sorry , but looking at that as a final 5 and , if you don’t include the tight ends and what appears to be a better running game with Davis as a rising talent , and that’s a pretty unimpressive group to start a season  with.  😳🙃.  Mostly because of inexperience, injuries lingering, and just lack of time to develop chemistry against a team game planning , and again just on its own disregarding the tight ends , and at first glance that’s one of the least impressive wr groups they’ve asked Josh to work with!?!   Not really a group that strikes fear into defensive coordinators , yet. 

I know it will get better , but honestly, the early games could be a struggle.   Just watching the local buzz down here around the jags ( throw in their history of playing us tough , Davis and Morse ) and that game really looks like one that could slip away as an early game like last year.  Preseason doesn’t mean much , but it doesn’t  mean nothing either, and  many times it can be an indicator of depth or possible chemistry  if for example , like Jax , you beat an Atlanta team 31-0 with both QBs and both sides of the ball looking good.

I mean , who would have bet serious $ at the end of last year and the way it ended , that this is the best staring 5 wr’s Beane could come up with?  I’m a little shocked there are just no dominant names on that list and I hope it works out , yet once again it feels like Beane neglects to really work toward helping Josh reach his full potential .  Maybe he will have a great year , it just seems hard to envision looking at that wr room. 

Was watching macafee a little today , and Lombardo made an interesting point. He’d said if a team reaches the number 52, which is the number of combined rushes and completed passes in an early season game , they tend to have more early success as that combination in his experience is indicative of a team that has had more success and hard work together at camp.    Don’t shoot the.messenger; he was on with Pat talking about how hard it is to get a grasp on the early season contests , the first 4-5 weeks, and he came up with this combination as something to look for ( such as betting Trends) and said in his experience around the NFL for many years , this combo was an indicator of a team having worked harder or showing evidence of a better work load / “ harder camp” as he put it , and correlated with better early success in the very difficult to predict early games.   Just something to watch with the bills the first couple of games perhaps?    Well, looking forward to real games, but this just has enough questions and somewhat of a weird start with all the changes, that it seems like a very unpredictable season staring us in the face! ✌️🙃

Zach Davidson sucks at blocking. A 3rd TE is primarily going to be a blocker and special teamer. He might get 5 or 6 targets all year.

Just sign him to the practice squad and keep developing him. I'm sure he'll be available.

4 hours ago, Coach55 said:

If the Bills are smart and are trying to put together the best roster, they should rethink the whole offense this year putting both Knox and Kincaid on the field for 75%+ of the plays (think 2006 Patriots with Hernandez and Gronk).  If such is the case, I would make a strong argument that the Bills should keep Zach Davidson as a 4th tight end on the active roster (5th if you include Gilliam).  If you do this, it reduces the WR roster to 5 making MVS the odd man out.  Not sure if Brady is that forward thinking, but personally, I would rather have a 6'7" tight end who catches everything thrown at him as opposed to a speedster that never lived up to his potential and has a notorious drop problem (who in this case has also been injured practically all of pre-season).  Thoughts?

I get the point but...

How is copying the 2006 Patriots with lesser athletes at the TE position qualify as forward thinking?

• Haha (+1) 1

ZD can't play special teams and is a liability as a in-line blocker.  This is why Mckittry (sp) was thought to be a more valuable commodity than ZD if Morris was put on IR.  I agree, ZD is a legit receiving threat but to put this guy on the active roster -remember you can only inactivate so many players each week- when his number would be seldom called anyway.  Not quality roster usage, imo.  Duly noted about MVS being less than stellar in terms of production and health, though.  

14 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Did Deon Cain get cut?

yes

11 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

Why not keep both?? Davidson ain't getting cut dude... not even close. He is on the team and will bet as productive as KIncaid. He has opened eyes league wide. They literally pulled him off the field in preseason game #2 to bubble wrap him after he put a move on the LBer like I've never seen before. His hands are solid and he is as good as Kincaid. Some argue better. We don't need extra useless WR's when we have Kincaid and Zach. But MVS has a spot. 

Hmmmm?

14 hours ago, MJS said:

Zach Davidson sucks at blocking. A 3rd TE is primarily going to be a blocker and special teamer. He might get 5 or 6 targets all year.

Just sign him to the practice squad and keep developing him. I'm sure he'll be available.

This seems to be the outcome.  Now if Kincaid or Knox missed a game or two I think Davidson would make sense to be active and could be used as more a receiving threat.  But 3rd Te needs to be able to do everything.  

18 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

MVS has proven NFL production while Davidson has a few catches vs 4th stringers. 

MVS has the irrefutable ability to drop passes. His production often pales in comparison. 

19 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

One, MVS would be the 5th WR unless you are assuming Cain or Hamler beat him out and MVS is the "6th WR".  Bills are keeping 5 WR's at the min (and I think it will be 5 specifically).  

So if your point is that the Bills can only keep 5 WR's to keep Davidson, well I already think that is the case, and that 5th guy seems to be leaning towards MVS (unfortunately) but I would say Cain or Hamler might still have a chance and make MVS a surprise cut.  

I would very much like to see Davidson make the roster as I do not think he will be safe on the PS and I do think Knox will be gone next year and Davidson has good upside as a possible replacement for him.

And...I think the best path to the roster for Davidson is the fact that I have a feeling Beane is already realizing a move may have to be made with Knox next year given his cap number next year (I think its like $14M or something crazy like that if I am not mistaken) unless they can rework something with Knox.

I don’t know the post june 1 numbers, but his dead cap is almost 17M if he’s cut. Looks as if we will pay 2-3M more in cap in order to release him.  He’s not great, but if that is that case, cutting him makes no sense imo