Zach Davidson vs. Marquez Valdes-Scantling

Coach55

If the Bills are smart and are trying to put together the best roster, they should rethink the whole offense this year putting both Knox and Kincaid on the field for 75%+ of the plays (think 2006 Patriots with Hernandez and Gronk).  If such is the case, I would make a strong argument that the Bills should keep Zach Davidson as a 4th tight end on the active roster (5th if you include Gilliam).  If you do this, it reduces the WR roster to 5 making MVS the odd man out.  Not sure if Brady is that forward thinking, but personally, I would rather have a 6'7" tight end who catches everything thrown at him as opposed to a speedster that never lived up to his potential and has a notorious drop problem (who in this case has also been injured practically all of pre-season).  Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

5 minutes ago, Coach55 said:

If the Bills are smart and are trying to put together the best roster, they should rethink the whole offense this year putting both Knox and Kincaid on the field for 75%+ of the plays (think 2006 Patriots with Hernandez and Gronk).  If such is the case, I would make a strong argument that the Bills should keep Zach Davidson as a 4th tight end on the active roster (5th if you include Gilliam).  If you do this, it reduces the WR roster to 5 making MVS the odd man out.  Not sure if Brady is that forward thinking, but personally, I would rather have a 6'7" tight end who catches everything thrown at him as opposed to a speedster that never lived up to his potential and has a notorious drop problem (who in this case has also been injured practically all of pre-season).  Thoughts?

We are already down to 5 WITH MVS.

1. Coleman
  2. Shakir
  3. Samuel
  4. Hollins
  5. MVS

Am I missing someone?

• Like (+1) 2

Davidson hasn't done enough imo to be worthy of a spot. I actually think that McKitty is a better fit for what Buffalo wants to do in both the run and pass game. I dont think either make it unless Morris is put on IR but I would take McKitty or Davidson.

• Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

MVS has proven NFL production while Davidson has a few catches vs 4th stringers. 

Yes, and lots of production when it matters most, the post-season. If I recall, he's never dropped a playoff pass.

19 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

We are already down to 5 WITH MVS.

1. Coleman
  2. Shakir
  3. Samuel
  4. Hollins
  5. MVS

Am I missing someone?

Cain, as mentioned.  Haven't seen him reported as cut, yet.

How many catches does Davidson have in the NFL?   Just wondering how you know he catches everything.    You really think something you make up in your head is more “forward thinking” than an entire organization with a lot of resources that uses data and AI to make actual informed decisions?  Just realize the bills are not on par with your smarts. 

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think you almost have to keep MVS in order to have something resembling a deep threat outside. 

That being said,  I'd also find a way to keep Davidson if at all possible.  But this team despises in-house developmental receiving prospects at the bottom of the roster,  so I doubt they will. 

• Like (+1) 1

The only way you keep 4 TEs is to get rid of Gilliam and play one of the TEs as a FB. 

MVS will make plays for this team and is far more important even as WR5 than Morris or Davidson will ever be. 

Davidson vs Morris makes little difference. If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably go with Morris. Has Davidson done anything in the games? Seems like he is a standout in shorts but disappears when the pads go on. 

One, MVS would be the 5th WR unless you are assuming Cain or Hamler beat him out and MVS is the "6th WR".  Bills are keeping 5 WR's at the min (and I think it will be 5 specifically).  

So if your point is that the Bills can only keep 5 WR's to keep Davidson, well I already think that is the case, and that 5th guy seems to be leaning towards MVS (unfortunately) but I would say Cain or Hamler might still have a chance and make MVS a surprise cut.  

I would very much like to see Davidson make the roster as I do not think he will be safe on the PS and I do think Knox will be gone next year and Davidson has good upside as a possible replacement for him.

And...I think the best path to the roster for Davidson is the fact that I have a feeling Beane is already realizing a move may have to be made with Knox next year given his cap number next year (I think its like $14M or something crazy like that if I am not mistaken) unless they can rework something with Knox.

2 hours ago, Coach55 said:

Hernandez and Gronk are either the best TE tandem ever or definitely top 2. Kincaid and Knox aren't even in the same building. Knox is a good blocker with 50/50 hands and Kincaid hasn't yet show any ability for yac. If he thinks that he can run that offense then we are in for a rough year. You want to do play action heavy that cool, but any decent corp of linebackers will shut that down. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Not yet. He will tho. I'd PS him.

I want him on the 53. He looked the part last week and was a stud at Clemson. Obviously that was a long time ago with injuries in between but he’s no worse of a gamble than Claypool/Isabella/Hamler/MVS (to a lesser extent).