ESPN Player Survey...Allen Most Trash Talking Overrated QB in NFL

Again, I'm just happy to have our guy in the discussion for "Top QB".

Even if he didnt make the Top 3, he made the Top 5. Disagree on the overrated but whatever, that's just defensive players with hurt feelings. Biggest trash talker makes sense, and also probably why some players said he's overrated. See: butthurt.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The entire NFL, especially players, are part of a system. It's like football development inc. You go to position camps. Then you go to a top high school, moving if you need to. Then you go to a top college program. Josh did none of that. The path would have been a move to Fresno or, even better, Folsom. Then he would have played at Cal or Stanford. Look at Gronk, who left Williamsville to go to Pennsylvania to get more visibility. I think that NFL players feel like he didn't pay his dues or play by the system to get where he is and they resent it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Prediction for 2024 - Allen throws 10 INTs max. 

That would be great, but its unlikely. He had 7 in his games with Brady as OC. In fact he only had 3 games where he didnt have an INT (Vegas, Miami and Dallas). Josh Allen is a gunslinger and will live and die by it

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

That would be great, but its unlikely. He had 7 in his games with Brady as OC. In fact he only had 3 games where he didnt have an INT (Vegas, Miami and Dallas). Josh Allen is a gunslinger and will live and die by it

7 in 9 games including postseason, which are the most important games and should be included. That rate is 13 games over a 17 game season (he was on a 17 INT pace under Dorsey - 10 in 10 games). I just have a hunch that he's committed to being more careful with the ball this season. That hunch is based in part not on any evidence, but my sense that he's gotta be sick of the narrative and that he's talented and smart enough to overcome it. He had 10 INTs in 2020 (and 37 TDs). We'll see, of course.  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That just isnt our guy. Like Jim Kelly and Brett Favre before him, our guy likes to sling it and make things happen. The INTs come with it. Just part of scoring so many TDs.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That just isnt our guy. Like Jim Kelly and Brett Favre before him, our guy likes to sling it and make things happen. The INTs come with it. Just part of scoring so many TDs.

Yup. He has the gunslinger mentality. Because he has the strong arm, he is willing to take risks and that is one of the reasons why he is able to make plays that most QBs can't make or won't even try to make. At the same time, he is prone to turnovers because of it. I think Allen is good for 30-40 TD passes every year along with a number of rushing TD's. But he is also probably good for around 15 INT's a year as well.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen has 174 total touchdowns (passing, rushing and receiving) in the past four seasons. That's 23 more than anyone else since 2020 and the most in a four-year span by any player in NFL history. He has 75 turnovers in that span, 14 more than anyone else.

He is the modern day Brett Favre, really.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve posted often and defended Allen when he’s been criticized,  Set my view about larger pictures and small mindednesses aside.

I’ve reached a point where I could care less about those who don’t get it.

Dude’s an elite baller who I’d not trade for another QB.   Beane’s finest moment.   He is the quintessential “Buffalo” Bill.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I could see it based on the style of offense we are likely to run this year. Probably very little deep passing relative to what we're used to. I expect a ball control offense with a lot more running and quick passes to the short and intermediate areas. Most of Allen's INTs last year came on deep shots or under/over combos that a DB was able to easily read and undercut... and I don't expect either of those to be staples of our offense this year. I don't recall any INTs that Allen threw in the direction of a TE or Shakir last year and that is likely going to be the bulk of our offensive targets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I'm still firmly in the camp that a lot of Allen's INTs were actually just Gabe Davis mistakes. They seemingly were never on the same page last season.

I'm not saying we've upgraded from Davis, it's a side grade at best, but I do expect Allen's INTs to drop this season. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

A few things:

1. The NFL is over-rating the Texans so much. I think they have a losing record this year

2. Look at Stroud getting some trash talking votes early

3. I wonder how many players voted Allen as over-rated and biggest trash-talker

4. Aaron Rodgers even being in the conversation for best QB is insane. I think Brady could come out and play and be better than Rodgers today.