Tim Patrick please (On his way to Detroit)

2 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Patrick was a pretty good player before the injuries, so if he ends up being released, he might find Buffalo an attractive place to check out, because:

1)   playing with Josh Allen is good for a receiver

2)  the Bills are one of the better teams in the league 

3)  after losing Diggs and Davis, and potential injury issues with Samuel and MVS, there might be a shot for playing time and an important role.

I probably wouldn't trade an asset for him, but if he's available, I'd be in favor of bringing him in for a workout and see if there's a fit.  It does seem odd to me that if he's having such a good camp and preseason that he can't crack the top-5 or 6 in Denver.

They have a plethora of young WR talent they don’t want to lose. He won’t get through waivers imo. I would give up a 6th or 7th for him but I think you’re probably right, the bills are cautious in these situations and will just wait to see if he clears waivers and miss out. 

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

The dude at the Whole Foods fish counter I got to looks like he's been working out.  We could try him. 

I heard he's faster than Keon Coleman, so there's that too.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, NeverOutNick said:

They have a plethora of young WR talent they don’t want to lose. He won’t get through waivers imo. I would give up a 6th or 7th for him but I think you’re probably right, the bills are cautious in these situations and will just wait to see if he clears waivers and miss out. 

I don’t think he would be subject to waivers as a vet, he should be free to sign with any team he wants if cut

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Is he subject to waivers? I wouldn't have thought so?

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No I misspoke. So in that case I guess if we can’t trade for him for a 7th we can just bring him in and sign him. I really do think he’d instantly be our #3/4 WR over Hollins. He’s very dependable when healthy 

1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

Hamler can fill that role as well and Tim, when healthy, is great at finding space to get open. He looks fully healthy this preseason and was Bo’s favorite weapon. I just want guys who can create separation and catch the dang ball lol and he checks both boxes 

Is Hamler making the team over MVS?  I'm willing to say no chance.

Is it worth bringing in Patrick at this point, who might be marginally better than MVS overall, but would be learning a whole new playbook?

4 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

No I misspoke. So in that case I guess if we can’t trade for him for a 7th we can just bring him in and sign him. I really do think he’d instantly be our #3/4 WR over Hollins. He’s very dependable when healthy 

If he is still the same guy. That is where the doubt is. I'd be willing to bring him in. But two years out of football and two major injuries at age 30.... I think he is a shot to nothing at this stage. Shame for him, hadn't he just got paid when the first injury struck?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Is Hamler making the team over MVS?  I'm willing to say no chance.

Is it worth bringing in Patrick at this point, who might be marginally better than MVS overall, but would be learning a whole new playbook?

Why no chance? Did MVS do anything to make you think he’s worth a roster spot or do we just give people spots based on what they’ve done in the past. He's continuously a liability at anything that’s not the deep ball. He is Gabe Davis without the blocking. 

Patrick is an actual WR who does all of the little things. Is he an athletic freak no but at this point getting Josh dependable WRs that don’t drop the ball and can find open spaces in coverage and the red zone is what he needs 

1 minute ago, NeverOutNick said:

Why no chance? Did MVS do anything to make you think he’s worth a roster spot or do we just give people spots based on what they’ve done in the past. He's continuously a liability at anything that’s not the deep ball. He is Gabe Davis without the blocking. 

Patrick is an actual WR who does all of the little things. Is he an athletic freak no but at this point getting Josh dependable WRs that don’t drop the ball and can find open spaces in coverage and the red zone is what he needs 

Hmmm. See the problem with this (and believe me I am no MVS fan) is that your argument for Patrick is "look what he did before missing two years of football with separate serious injuries and turning 30" at the same time as arguing MVS shouldn't be here on past performance. 

And while I don't particularly think MVS has done much this summer to seal a roster spot what has Hamler done? 5 catches on 6 targets for 5.8 yards a play. His calling card is supposed to be speed and explosiveness and we haven't seen it. I know you thinl I have something against him, but I don't. I had a 2nd round grade on him coming out. I liked him. Find the thread where we signed him - I was in favour it was a shot worth taking. But he hasn't shown anything to earn a shot.

I genuinely would consider only rostering 4 receivers if it wasn't for Samuel's foot. See if we can find something worth having on the scrap heap. If that's a punt on Patrick fine. If it's a punt on someone else fine. But the receiver situation is a mess. 

6 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Hamler makes it if they have legit concerns about Samuel.

MVS has shown his ability in practice, to go along with past performance.  Hamler has shown his quicks, but he's not a field stretcher.  I could careless about 40 time, MVS separates on deep balls.

Hamlers past performance, he's been injury riddled and while healthy now is a much greater risk.

I tend to think Shavers is ahead of Hamler too.  S/T, blocking, and a young player who is ascending

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmmm. See the problem with this (and believe me I am no MVS fan) is that your argument for Patrick is "look what he did before missing two years of football with separate serious injuries and turning 30" at the same time as arguing MVS shouldn't be here on past performance. 

And while I don't particularly think MVS has done much this summer to seal a roster spot what has Hamler done? 5 catches on 6 targets for 5.8 yards a play. His calling card is supposed to be speed and explosiveness and we haven't seen it. I know you thinl I have something against him, but I don't. I had a 2nd round grade on him coming out. I liked him. Find the thread where we signed him - I was in favour it was a shot worth taking. But he hasn't shown anything to earn a shot.

I genuinely would consider only rostering 4 receivers if it wasn't for Samuel's foot. See if we can find something worth having on the scrap heap. If that's a punt on Patrick fine. If it's a punt on someone else fine. But the receiver situation is a mess. 

I disagree on Hamler. I don’t fault him for not breaking a bunch of tackles on the couple catches he got last game because immediately after he caught the ball he went upfield and was swarmed by defenders. Our QBs aren’t doing a great job putting WRs in position to win but then again they are Jags that are taking up space to get through the preseason.

Hamler has shown explosiveness with the ball in his hands and you saw that when he ran the ball at the end of this game and on the kick return he didn’t drop lol. 

Patrick isn’t sexy but when healthy he’s very reliable. Hes not a guy we’re going to want to punch the TV over for dropping a ball on a routine comeback route. 

I 100% agree with you that our WR room outside of the main 4 is a mess and if we’re truly being honest those main 4 should be moved down a peg for a true #1…but I get it we’re hoping Kincaid is that guy this year. I just hope we have a little better depth and versatility so we don’t have to count on MVS or even Hollins regularly 

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

I don’t think he would be subject to waivers as a vet, he should be free to sign with any team he wants if cut

56 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Good point

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He isn't subject to waivers unless rules change this year but hard to fit in cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/22099/tim-patrick#:~:text=Tim Patrick signed a 3,dead cap value of %246%2C071%2C666.

Tim Patrick signed a 3 year , $34,000,000 contract with the Denver Broncos, including $3,000,000 signing bonus, $18,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $11,333,333. In 2024, Patrick will earn a base salary of $9,500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $15,571,666 and a dead cap value of $6,071,666.

3 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I disagree on Hamler. I don’t fault him for not breaking a bunch of tackles on the couple catches he got last game because immediately after he caught the ball he went upfield and was swarmed by defenders. Our QBs aren’t doing a great job putting WRs in position to win but then again they are Jags that are taking up space to get through the preseason.

Hamler has shown explosiveness with the ball in his hands and you saw that when he ran the ball at the end of this game and on the kick return he didn’t drop lol. 

Patrick isn’t sexy but when healthy he’s very reliable. Hes not a guy we’re going to want to punch the TV over for dropping a ball on a routine comeback route. 

I 100% agree with you that our WR room outside of the main 4 is a mess and if we’re truly being honest those main 4 should be moved down a peg for a true #1…but I get it we’re hoping Kincaid is that guy this year. I just hope we have a little better depth and versatility so we don’t have to count on MVS or even Hollins regularly 

Hamler's only really impressive play of the pre-season where he showed any explosiveness to me is the running back play where he got stopped short by the pylon. When they have thrown it to him in traffic he has demonstrated a lack of vision and a lack of burst and we haven't had chance to see if he can separate deep. I get it you think we need speed and explosiveness (we definitely do) and you wan Hamler to be an option to provide that. So do I. But I have to separate what I want from what I have seen and I just haven't seen what I would have hoped to in order to give me confidence about him making an impact in the regular season. Putting him on the roster is a wing and a prayer to me. 

I understand the argument for Patrick a little more. But it is the same argument as for MVS. It is look at what he has done before - if he could repeat that it'd be good. I agree. It would. But can he? And there are reasons to be sceptical on both of them. But if he is cut, sure I'm open to it. I'm open to the Metchie idea floated earlier too. But at this stage these are all punts. A guy guaranteed to improve us beyond a below average top 4 and a mess behind them is unlikely to land in our lap sadly. I think they have to hope to get to trade deadline in good shape and see if there is a deal to be done at that point. Here's an idea if the Saints totally suck would they take Minnesota's 2nd for Chris Olave? Likely a high 2nd round pick? Might help them have ammunition for a Quarterback with a new regime next year? 

1 minute ago, Punching Bag said:

He isn't subject to waivers unless rules change this year but hard to fit in cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/22099/tim-patrick#:~:text=Tim Patrick signed a 3,dead cap value of %246%2C071%2C666.

Yea we can't absorb that. And tbh he isn't worth that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1