CeeDee Lamb gets paid: 4 year $136M extension

BarleyNY

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Are you saying Miami hasn't won a playoff game because they paid Tyreek Hill?

It was more towards the future but yeah.  Bad karma for choking his ex girlfriend and punching her in the stomach while pregnant.  Seriously though, I just question the giving big money to two WR's and QB strategy.

12 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

Lamb is a top 5 WR and might even be higher than that. If you don't pay him, I don't know who you pay. Lamb isn't the reason they flop in the playoffs. That distinction is on Dak and McCarthy. 

Buffalo doesn't have hold outs like this because Beane likes to get ahead of these contracts and get extensions done well before the contract is going to expire. Which in some ways is good as the cap is always increasing which makes an earlier contract cheaper but in some ways it's bad because the extensions don't always work out. This has been most obvious with guys like Diggs and Bass, but has also been the case with several others based on injury. So while us casual fans haven't really had to gasp at an ungodly contract given out by Beane, we certainly have gasped at the dead cap hit we have which is linked to why we haven't had ungodly contracts. 

It's also about the talent of the players we have. We have no Lamb or Aiyuk on this team. We traded Diggs. Who would hold out on our current or even former rosters outside of Josh? We have no star talent on this team and haven't for most of Beane's tenure. If anything our lack of hold outs is probably more of symptom you would want to see on occasion like with Chris Jones last year.

Lamb may not be “ the reason “ they flop in the playoffs , but what has he done to propel them on exactly , not much or if he was that dominant they wouldn’t be failing every year.  I do see your point but I think you’re missing mine ,, belichicks , and possibly the only argument beane can fallback on,,,it’s not about superstars other than the qb position in a qb driven league .  It’s incontrovertible that this is a qb driven league , or we wouldn’t be seeing KC looking to three peat despite their lack of star receivers.  They have two other stars , kelce ( and it took until the playoffs for him to be impactful last year ) , and jones on defense.    Most of their success is related to mahomes efficiency and Reid’s creativity , and they aren’t loaded with superstars , but like Belichick said , they plan to and do peak AS A TEAM in December and Janurary.    They play well in all three phases including their kicking game ( another fact as we lost to them twice as our kicker was out performed  by theirs).   

It’s hard to argue with BELICHICK ( 8 lombardies earned ) and another coach who has obviously had more success than any BUFFALO COACH , and that’s parcells.  That’s who Belichick learned this philosophy from and was successful with , getting one of his lombardis at Buffalos expense in SB25 ( wide right!)   It’s not about having superstars ( we should hope this is true as just like you stated , we don’t have stars yet on this roster other than the critical  qb spot with Allen , and we might have one budding at the tight end position.  BUT, we have had pro bowl players at safety , white, “ Edmund’s” , who were deemed by most on here as critical pieces to run Mcd’s scheme , and even they found out Beane had a cap for their perceived value ( so many argued on here that Edmund’s was a “ superstar “ with his supporters even threatening to fight if he was criticized ) , YET BEANE stayed true to his valuation of Edmund’s and bingo, guess who is in Chicago and not being paid HERE any outrageous sum?!  Suddenly he was replaced by a more IMPACTFUL PLAYER, and all the fervor for Edmund calmed. Beanes drafting success is another topic, but he arguably has had chances to overpay , and other than free agents, he  has been fairly consistent in setting limits.   Jones has never been known for much restraint as a gm. 

So let’s see this year and next , when I believe their star LB’s contract is also due,  if paying lamb that much actually results in some unusual ROI, like his best season to date associated w a SB appearance.   In this one instance I am in agreement with Belichick; it’s not about superstars , it’s about which TEAM plays best in dec/ Jan, and I don’t think any NON QB touches the ball enough individually to  be the noticeable difference that results in a bringing home a Lombardi.
Let’s see if paying him like that helps bring home a title to Dallas; it’s just a difference in philosophy and I tend to agree with beane’s approach more;  he just needs to add some more dependable talent for Josh to throw to fulfill his full potential, and not keep surrounding him with the majority of his receivers being guys that would be marginal starters on other clubs, like the two fins WRs last year. We don’t need 4 diggs types, and we also don’t need 4 Davis types. Beane hasn’t hit a good balance of talent regarding the wr corp for the majority of Allen’s 6-7 years here. 

18 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

And in 2022 he had 1359 yards and 9 touchdowns for a 12.7 yards per catch average. 

Can you imagine if a Bills receiver put up numbers like that?

Or would Bills fans complain that Josh is forcing the ball too much to Cee Dee ?

It’s complicated.  The Dolphins and Cowboys are stupid for paying Tyreek and CeeDee $30-34 million per year to rack up 1800 years and 13 TDs, but paying Diggs $31 million to play for the Texans is addition by subtraction.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Lamb may not be “ the reason “ they flop in the playoffs , but what has he done to propel them on exactly , not much or if he was that dominant they wouldn’t be failing every year.  I do see your point but I think you’re missing mine ,, belichicks , and possibly the only argument beane can fallback on,,,it’s not about superstars other than the qb position in a qb driven league .  It’s incontrovertible that this is a qb driven league , or we wouldn’t be seeing KC looking to three peat despite their lack of star receivers.  They have two other stars , kelce ( and it took until the playoffs for him to be impactful last year ) , and jones on defense.    Most of their success is related to mahomes efficiency and Reid’s creativity , and they aren’t loaded with superstars , but like Belichick said , they plan to and do peak AS A TEAM in December and Janurary.    They play well in all three phases including their kicking game ( another fact as we lost to them twice as our kicker was out performed  by theirs).   

It’s hard to argue with BELICHICK ( 8 lombardies earned ) and another coach who has obviously had more success than any BUFFALO COACH , and that’s parcells.  That’s who Belichick learned this philosophy from and was successful with , getting one of his lombardis at Buffalos expense in SB25 ( wide right!)   It’s not about having superstars ( we should hope this is true as just like you stated , we don’t have stars yet on this roster other than the critical  qb spot with Allen , and we might have one budding at the tight end position.  BUT, we have had pro bowl players at safety , white, “ Edmund’s” , who were deemed by most on here as critical pieces to run Mcd’s scheme , and even they found out Beane had a cap for their perceived value ( so many argued on here that Edmund’s was a “ superstar “ with his supporters even threatening to fight if he was criticized ) , YET BEANE stayed true to his valuation of Edmund’s and bingo, guess who is in Chicago and not being paid HERE any outrageous sum?!  Suddenly he was replaced by a more IMPACTFUL PLAYER, and all the fervor for Edmund calmed. Beanes drafting success is another topic, but he arguably has had chances to overpay , and other than free agents, he  has been fairly consistent in setting limits.   Jones has never been known for much restraint as a gm. 

So let’s see this year and next , when I believe their star LB’s contract is also due,  if paying lamb that much actually results in some unusual ROI, like his best season to date associated w a SB appearance.   In this one instance I am in agreement with Belichick; it’s not about superstars , it’s about which TEAM plays best in dec/ Jan, and I don’t think any NON QB touches the ball enough individually to  be the noticeable difference that results in a bringing home a Lombardi.
Let’s see if paying him like that helps bring home a title to Dallas; it’s just a difference in philosophy and I tend to agree with beane’s approach more;  he just needs to add some more dependable talent for Josh to throw to fulfill his full potential, and not keep surrounding him with the majority of his receivers being guys that would be marginal starters on other clubs, like the two fins WRs last year. We don’t need 4 diggs types, and we also don’t need 4 Davis types. Beane hasn’t hit a good balance of talent regarding the wr corp for the majority of Allen’s 6-7 years here. 

I get your point, but I think it's more complicated than that. The key is getting a high level talent like Lamb to play within a team as you're pointing out. Talent still matter a lot. Otherwise this whole thing would just be about building chemistry. Chemistry is not what allowed Chris Jones to plow into Allen last year and stop a TD catch from occurring. Paying a really talented guy a hell of a lot of money is what allowed that to happen. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It was more towards the future but yeah.  Bad karma for choking his ex girlfriend and punching her in the stomach while pregnant.  Seriously though, I just question the giving big money to two WR's and QB strategy.

they had to pay Tua so let's not include that in the calculus. nobody is getting rid of the league's passing leader

i can accept that they might have bitten off more than they can chew w Waddle's deal but the idea that you don't want great players (who are always going to be the most expensive) on your team is for the birds

So does paying all this money make him a better player?  More willing to work harder and excel?   Does it elevate Dak and his teammates?   

I think not.  Dallas in the exact same position they were yesterday-I suspect weaker actually.   

the only winner is lamb.  Good for him I hope Dallas is worse for this. 

5 hours ago, Billl said:

It’s complicated.  The Dolphins and Cowboys are stupid for paying Tyreek and CeeDee $30-34 million per year to rack up 1800 years and 13 TDs, but paying Diggs $31 million to play for the Texans is addition by subtraction.

That depends on what Bean does with that number 2 next year. Still from this standpoint it’s hard to believe it’s not a loss. But Diggs gave up and how bad he would have brought the ship down this year is an unknown that can’t be answered. 

Jerry Jones does this all the time. He rejects initial requests, throwing it in to a long negotiation process, which I guess is normal. But at the end of the day, he ends up with these ridiculous contracts throwing a bunch of cash at the player asking for it.  It's likely desperation. 

On 8/28/2024 at 12:11 PM, Fleezoid said:

Jerry Jones does this all the time. He rejects initial requests, throwing it in to a long negotiation process, which I guess is normal. But at the end of the day, he ends up with these ridiculous contracts throwing a bunch of cash at the player asking for it.  It's likely desperation. 

At Jerry’s advanced time on earth, I’ve wondered for awhile now exactly how much he’s elbows deep into roster management/contract details, or if he delivers sound bites only, and has little to nothing to do for actual work? 

• Agree 1