CeeDee Lamb gets paid: 4 year $136M extension

BarleyNY

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So much for that guy on WGR this morning that wanted to trade Elam (and maybe a draft pick) for Lamb.

I can’t believe ScottLaw calls into that show…

59 minutes ago, Bills Bud said:

Good for them. They have an elite WR unlike us. We just make excuses. You can pay a QB and still pay elite WRs. Miami did it as well.

Damn straight.  The Cowboys and Fish keep winning playoff games and Super Bowls while the Bills…

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Interesting to see the divide in the league right now:

Teams that are willing to pay $30million+ to sign a stud WR1 vs teams that decide to go the "WR by committee" route.

The Chiefs opted to go the latter route and let Hill walk. The Bills initially were part of the "pay megabucks to a WR1" camp, but then traded Diggs away and are going with option two now.

Will be interesting to see how trends involve in the league with this issue.

As for Lamb getting paid...I can't help but wonder if the other WR dominos (Chase, Aiyuk, etc) begin to fall now.

What you have is owners that are willing to sign wr’s to huge contacts because they make it up in jersey sales. It’s the opposite of money-ball approach. 

It ultimately isn't sustainable if you want to win superbowls (imo). 

27 minutes ago, eball said:

I can’t believe ScottLaw calls into that show…

Damn straight.  The Cowboys and Fish keep winning playoff games and Super Bowls while the Bills…

Bills don’t win either 

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Interesting to see the divide in the league right now:

Teams that are willing to pay $30million+ to sign a stud WR1 vs teams that decide to go the "WR by committee" route.

The Chiefs opted to go the latter route and let Hill walk. The Bills initially were part of the "pay megabucks to a WR1" camp, but then traded Diggs away and are going with option two now.

Will be interesting to see how trends involve in the league with this issue.

As for Lamb getting paid...I can't help but wonder if the other WR dominos (Chase, Aiyuk, etc) begin to fall now.

But if Beane saw this developing and chose the route of not paying/avoiding, the $30M+ WR trend, what is his excuse for not doubling up in the draft?...so furstrating.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Avisan said:

Man.  34 mil per year is STEEP.  That's a pretty big chunk of the cap for one player.  Wild how much the top end of contracts has exploded.

yeah, that is ridiculous.  NFL = NBA.   starting to lose interest.  this is stupid

4 hours ago, Billl said:

1862 yards and 14 TDs isn’t elite?  

And in 2022 he had 1359 yards and 9 touchdowns for a 12.7 yards per catch average. 

Can you imagine if a Bills receiver put up numbers like that?

Or would Bills fans complain that Josh is forcing the ball too much to Cee Dee ?

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Bills Bud said:

Give Allen an elite WR like Hill or Lamb then we could get over the hump

Give Allen Spags as his D coordinator, Allen hasn’t been the reason for failing to get over the hump

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I used to think owners were smart. I was wrong...

Jones has truly lost his mind and obviously is desperate.  Let’s be frank, biologically his time to get another title is running out.  If you want to see a very interesting talk about paying players , check out belichicks video just posted on YouTube on the macafee show which is 35 min long. It’s a great insight into contracts and how to look at the early season and even his analysis of this ridiculous dynamic kickoff situation. 

Belichicks insight on contracts and preseason evaluations is really interesting , like paying a db too much in Atlanta.  He believed you prioritize your best player , usually your qb , and you can’t create problems by overpaying others who might have good stats , but perhaps aren’t really true game impacting players.  IMO, the COWBOYS have done nothing special with CeeDee , and without researching it , I think he tends to play soft and can miss  time and it’s very hard to justify he is worth 34 mil a year.    

Bill quoted parcells saying “ it’s not about who has the best team , it’s about which team is playing the best “ , referring to December and the playoffs.  You don’t need superstars , you need a TEAM , playing its best football in DECEMBER AND JANUARY..  I think this type of contract is an indicator of why the boys have continued to fall short of expectations.   Jones wants to find his” aikman  , smith , Irvin “ past and I guess he thinks by just paying his qb/ wr like those HOF’s, they will somehow play up to that type of worth. It’s become laughable, but at the same time a kick in the nuts to fans who are asked to support ridiculous ticket increases / psl’s etc , as it’s obvious these owners now are capable of printing money and it seems limitless when more of these insane contracts like we are seeing keep popping up.  Atlanta and Dallas look like they have lost touch with reality, compared to Beane ( outside of the miller debacle ), even despite things like paying Bass perhaps too early and the diggs questionable ROI, he at least seems to have an equitable pay structure in place and you don’t see many holdouts or contract squabbles affecting the franchise. 

Bill also stated how the first few weeks of the season mean very little as you don’t really even know your own team yet , and I think this is really going to come into play with the  BILLS.   It takes time to learn your players and team, and he stated the preseason itself means nothing regarding really evaluating a players value to the team , as it takes 3-4 weeks of evaluation when teams actually are game planning and trying to attack certain players.  That’s when good players show up in those 5 weeks early in  the season.  It’s after those weeks when you see which teams / players are really prepared to play. It’s an interesting 35 min with Bill , title on YouTube is  BILL BELICHICKS BRUTALLY HONEST ASSESSMENT OF THE KICKOFF, CEEDEE CONTRACT , and its cool to see him relaxed, not hooded , actually sharing honest thoughts for once as it’s such a contrast from his usual pressers.  

Again tho , imo , these contracts are ridiculous ( Bill pointed out the Atlanta db HASN’T  had an Int in 2 years!  Yes he has pbu’s ,  but to BILL,  that’s not as impacting as int’s.).  Remind you of anything like those who valued Edmund’s so much for pbu’s or he “ prevented teams “ from throwing in an area ; yet tfl’s , sacks, ints and tangible impact plays were not his strength.    Anyhow , I’ve Hated the boys since sb 27/28 , so hoping this is another flop move by Jerry and the boys keep proving he has lost his football mind!   For us , no need to panic early , just keep figuring it out and be the best team ( including the kicking game ) in late December and January just one time! Go Bills! 

56 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Jones has truly lost his mind and obviously is desperate.  Let’s be frank, biologically his time to get another title is running out.  If you want to see a very interesting talk about paying players , check out belichicks video just posted on YouTube on the macafee show which is 35 min long. It’s a great insight into contracts and how to look at the early season and even his analysis of this ridiculous dynamic kickoff situation. 

Belichicks insight on contracts and preseason evaluations is really interesting , like paying a db too much in Atlanta.  He believed you prioritize your best player , usually your qb , and you can’t create problems by overpaying others who might have good stats , but perhaps aren’t really true game impacting players.  IMO, the COWBOYS have done nothing special with CeeDee , and without researching it , I think he tends to play soft and can miss  time and it’s very hard to justify he is worth 34 mil a year.    

Bill quoted parcells saying “ it’s not about who has the best team , it’s about which team is playing the best “ , referring to December and the playoffs.  You don’t need superstars , you need a TEAM , playing its best football in DECEMBER AND JANUARY..  I think this type of contract is an indicator of why the boys have continued to fall short of expectations.   Jones wants to find his” aikman  , smith , Irvin “ past and I guess he thinks by just paying his qb/ wr like those HOF’s, they will somehow play up to that type of worth. It’s become laughable, but at the same time a kick in the nuts to fans who are asked to support ridiculous ticket increases / psl’s etc , as it’s obvious these owners now are capable of printing money and it seems limitless when more of these insane contracts like we are seeing keep popping up.  Atlanta and Dallas look like they have lost touch with reality, compared to Beane ( outside of the miller debacle ), even despite things like paying Bass perhaps too early and the diggs questionable ROI, he at least seems to have an equitable pay structure in place and you don’t see many holdouts or contract squabbles affecting the franchise. 

Bill also stated how the first few weeks of the season mean very little as you don’t really even know your own team yet , and I think this is really going to come into play with the  BILLS.   It takes time to learn your players and team, and he stated the preseason itself means nothing regarding really evaluating a players value to the team , as it takes 3-4 weeks of evaluation when teams actually are game planning and trying to attack certain players.  That’s when good players show up in those 5 weeks early in  the season.  It’s after those weeks when you see which teams / players are really prepared to play. It’s an interesting 35 min with Bill , title on YouTube is  BILL BELICHICKS BRUTALLY HONEST ASSESSMENT OF THE KICKOFF, CEEDEE CONTRACT , and its cool to see him relaxed, not hooded , actually sharing honest thoughts for once as it’s such a contrast from his usual pressers.  

Again tho , imo , these contracts are ridiculous ( Bill pointed out the Atlanta db HASN’T  had an Int in 2 years!  Yes he has pbu’s ,  but to BILL,  that’s not as impacting as int’s.).  Remind you of anything like those who valued Edmund’s so much for pbu’s or he “ prevented teams “ from throwing in an area ; yet tfl’s , sacks, ints and tangible impact plays were not his strength.    Anyhow , I’ve Hated the boys since sb 27/28 , so hoping this is another flop move by Jerry and the boys keep proving he has lost his football mind!   For us , no need to panic early , just keep figuring it out and be the best team ( including the kicking game ) in late December and January just one time! Go Bills! 

Lamb is a top 5 WR and might even be higher than that. If you don't pay him, I don't know who you pay. Lamb isn't the reason they flop in the playoffs. That distinction is on Dak and McCarthy. 

Buffalo doesn't have hold outs like this because Beane likes to get ahead of these contracts and get extensions done well before the contract is going to expire. Which in some ways is good as the cap is always increasing which makes an earlier contract cheaper but in some ways it's bad because the extensions don't always work out. This has been most obvious with guys like Diggs and Bass, but has also been the case with several others based on injury. So while us casual fans haven't really had to gasp at an ungodly contract given out by Beane, we certainly have gasped at the dead cap hit we have which is linked to why we haven't had ungodly contracts. 

It's also about the talent of the players we have. We have no Lamb or Aiyuk on this team. We traded Diggs. Who would hold out on our current or even former rosters outside of Josh? We have no star talent on this team and haven't for most of Beane's tenure. If anything our lack of hold outs is probably more of symptom you would want to see on occasion like with Chris Jones last year.

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, QCity said:

And this is why you draft WRs early. Going forward it's going to be a herculean feat to get a young stud WR in FA. They've surpassed pass rushers for the #2 spot.

Most WRs don't peak until the end of their first deal, and you have to gamble $15m/year on a guy that is more likely than not going to be  bust that never does anything, so not sure it's going to make much difference. I'd argue it'll be a battle between teams going for a high end #1 and a bunch of scrubs vs teams that build a comittee style approach, until the roster meta changes and some new position is the in-demand one.

I've never been super impressed by Lamb. He had a massive year at the perfect time, but I don't see him as the type of X factor that will win you games by himself the way I'd want a guy making over 13% of the cap to be.

11 hours ago, Bills Bud said:

Good for them. They have an elite WR unlike us. We just make excuses. You can pay a QB and still pay elite WRs. Miami did it as well.

I would give the bag to Aiyuk because I think he's that good but get back to me when Miami wins a playoff game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

22 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Lamb. Parsons is a fantastic, elite player, but there are a lot of rumors that no one in the locker room would miss him if he got traded. 

Probably next offseason since he’ll be a free agent. 

I think Diggs is to old to get this kind of deAL, BUT WHO KNOWS.