The Athletic QB Tier rankings

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

If Josh is better, why wouldn't he be the pick for MVP this year ?  It really baffles me.

It is only because of the success Mahomes has had in the Post Season.   

Mahomes has 3 super bowls 

Burrows went to 1 super bowl and was a few minutes away from winning it.

Allen has made it to the AFC Championship game

Lamar has made it to AFC Divsional game with early exits.

That is how everyone is ranking these QBs.

No it isn't.
Mahomes' regular season accolades put him on top of everyone except Rodgers, but he's clearly a shadow of himself.

If you want to talk just regular season though, Josh probably gets bumped down below Jackson based just on accolades. I personally wouldn't take Jackson over him, but it's hard to discount when Josh's best accomplishment is one 2nd-team all-pro node and 2 pro bowls in 6 years.

5 hours ago, Neo said:

I am willing to accept Allen, Mahomes, Burrow in any order.

There’s no one else I’d chose over one of those to start a football game for me.

He scores more touchdowns than anyone and has more turnovers than many.   A Lamborghini gets lousy gas mileage.

100%. I usually don't care if those are the top three. Mahomes has to be one, then you can make a case for Burrow or Allen #2, just depends on the style you prefer. When people want to slip in Lamar into that group is when I have an issue with it. Even with his two MVP's he's just not at that level. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Billl said:

I’ve got Allen as the clear second best QB in the league, but I don’t see how even the biggest Allen homer can believe that the Chiefs would have 3 Super Bowl wins with Allen.  Josh threw for 3100 yards and 20 TDs in 2019 and played poorly against the Texans in the playoffs.  There’s zero chance that Kansas City wins that year with Josh.  Reasonable people can agree or disagree about the last two years, but Mahomes was better in 2019 by orders of magnitude.

i don't think the Chiefs with Allen lose to the Bengals in 2021

3 hours ago, 90sBills said:

New here huh?

No lol. I just think no one will argue it this year. Last year and the year before I argued that Mahomes was in a league of his own and plenty of people wanted to fight me lol. This year I think they are on the same level and people just put Mahomes in his own tier. Everyone has an opinion: I told people I'd take Jefferson over Diggs 10 times out of 10 in his rookie year (Diggs first year in Buffalo) and everyone came at me lol. I also thought Josh Allen was going to be a bust. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Cash said:

Slightly off-topic, but I think Allen has a pretty strong chance to win MVP this year. Obviously a lot has to go right for that to happen, but the national perception/narrative is set up in Allen’s favor. With us losing Diggs/Davis/et al, the team is expected to take a step back on both offense and defense. IF the Bills keep winning at the same pace as the last few years, it’s probably because Allen is putting up big numbers - totals, efficiency, or both. 

In that scenario, the MVP voters will tend to give Allen 100% of the credit for the team still being good, and likely will be writing about how Allen is making a bunch of nobodies look good. 

I disagree. The media will never give Josh Allen the credit he deserves and will certainly not vote him MVP. They have their narratives to prop up and that’s far more important to them. 

• Eyeroll 1

22 hours ago, balln said:

I think this validates that he truly is perceived as top 3. True tier 1. 

What’s most interesting is- Lamar was tier 2. And I agree with that. And I’m gonna stir the pot once again. I don’t think he was mvp last year. He just wasn’t. He’s propped up by media for other reasons…..

Finally an honest ranking. Lamar Jackson is CLEARLY below those three, but in many ways he is overrated and above criticism, especially by players. They put him on a pedestal.

1 minute ago, 90sBills said:

At this point let’s just make the Super Bowl please. 

I don't see it this year. I hope I am wrong about that. With a lot of money coming off the books after this year I could see the Bills reloading not rebuilding for 2025. Beane will have money available to be aggressive in FA to get some elite level talent to improve the team.

Just now, Gregg said:

I don't see it this year. I hope I am wrong about that. With a lot of money coming off the books after this year I could see the Bills reloading not rebuilding for 2025. Beane will have money available to be aggressive in FA to get some elite level talent to improve the team.

I completely agree. This is a reset season. Hopefully they can make a serious championship run next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Staying true to your name......

Did you just insult the most successful Bills era? The SB losses were devastating but at least those teams made it to the big game with a chance to win a ring. That’s something this team hasn’t been able to do. So let’s make it to the big game first. 

3 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Did you just insult the most successful Bills era? The SB losses were devastating but at least those teams made it to the big game with a chance to win a ring. That’s something this team hasn’t been able to do. So let’s make it to the big game first. 

No, I just poked fun at you name and how it related to your post .........

• Like (+1) 1