The Athletic QB Tier rankings

The Athletic just published a tier ranking of 30 NFL QBs (rookies are excluded) as determined from a composite tier ranking of 50 NFL coaches and executives.  Josh was in Tier 1, as expected, but his composite score was 1.2 which means approximately 10 of the 50 would have had him in Tier 2, but below Joe Burrow.  This is interesting in that one might consider the profile of those choosing Tier 2.  Josh is something of a loose cannon at times and there would be those that are scared by that and might consider it a flaw. 

Anyways, this brings me to the Pro Football Reference side by side comparison of Josh and Patrick over their last 4 years which was something I wanted to present to previous discussions.  Big difference in YAC favoring Patrick and rushing yards/TDs favoring Josh.  Lots to consider there.

One can isolate regular season or post season numbers.  YAC is the biggest difference, imo, as it is a difference of over 3,000 yards.  It makes me wonder if the WR room was more reconstructed with an eye toward improving the YAC in the offense.  This is something we haven't seen much evidence of at this point, but it might be the secret sauce to a Bills offensive improvement over previous years.

Pro Football Reference Josh vs. Patrick --Years 2020 thru 2023

Screenshot 2024-08-26 102612.jpg

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bottom line, We have a Franchise QB who is hands down one of the best in the NFL. He is one of the Best to come along in a long, long time and not just for Buffalo but the NFL.

I don't give a **** where he is ranked, I want what he wants, superbowl wins. And please understand this isnt coming at you in anyway for posting this.  Its just many fans (not saying you) get all upset over rankings, hell I used to when I was younger. Screw rankings, win superbowls and we will all be happy and our boy will be in the HOF.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Bottom line, We have a Franchise QB who is hands down one of the best in the NFL. He is one of the Best to come along in a long, long time and not just for Buffalo but the NFL.

I don't give a **** where he is ranked, I want what he wants, superbowl wins. And please understand this isnt coming at you in anyway for posting this.  Its just many fans (not saying you) get all upset over rankings, hell I used to when I was younger. Screw rankings, win superbowls and we will all be happy and our boy will be in the HOF.

After over 20 years in QB hell, it's just so much fun to have a guy the whole world knows belongs in the top-5 and top-3 discussions. I dont care where they rank him because it's all subjective and nitpicking at that point.

Fully enjoying the ride.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

The Athletic just published a tier ranking of 30 NFL QBs (rookies are excluded) as determined from a composite tier ranking of 50 NFL coaches and executives.  Josh was in Tier 1, as expected, but his composite score was 1.2 which means approximately 10 of the 50 would have had him in Tier 2, but below Joe Burrow.  This is interesting in that one might consider the profile of those choosing Tier 2.  Josh is something of a loose cannon at times and there would be those that are scared by that and might consider it a flaw. 

Anyways, this brings me to the Pro Football Reference side by side comparison of Josh and Patrick over their last 4 years which was something I wanted to present to previous discussions.  Big difference in YAC favoring Patrick and rushing yards/TDs favoring Josh.  Lots to consider there.

One can isolate regular season or post season numbers.  YAC is the biggest difference, imo, as it is a difference of over 3,000 yards.  It makes me wonder if the WR room was more reconstructed with an eye toward improving the YAC in the offense.  This is something we haven't seen much evidence of at this point, but it might be the secret sauce to a Bills offensive improvement over previous years.

Pro Football Reference Josh vs. Patrick --Years 2020 thru 2023

Screenshot 2024-08-26 102612.jpg

Wonder how many thought Allen would be a bust coming out of college.

It absolutely baffles me that Burrow is ranked higher. Burrow has always had Higgins and got Chase in year 2. The Dolphins are the only team with a better 1-2 but even past that he hasn't finished 2 out of his 4 seasons and his Passing TD to Int ratio isn't even much better than Allen and his Total TD to Turnover ratio is worse. Allen is asked to do so much more than the other 3 elite QBs (Mahomes, Jackson, Burrow).

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

One of the "coaches an executives" actually voted Josh in tier 3!  That is so laughably ridiculous that whoever made that vote should never be allowed near a football team again.

That must be someone that overvalues robotic QB play.

I think this validates that he truly is perceived as top 3. True tier 1. 

What’s most interesting is- Lamar was tier 2. And I agree with that. And I’m gonna stir the pot once again. I don’t think he was mvp last year. He just wasn’t. He’s propped up by media for other reasons…..

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

At this point this is a little like trying to argue who was the better DE, Bruce or Reggie White. Both were awesome, had different stats in different systems. At that point, who cares who is a tiny bit "better" than the other? They were both awesome, game changers.

• Like (+1) 1

I am willing to accept Allen, Mahomes, Burrow in any order.

There’s no one else I’d chose over one of those to start a football game for me.

He scores more touchdowns than anyone and has more turnovers than many.   A Lamborghini gets lousy gas mileage.

• Like (+1) 1

As a non-American, I am truly fascinated by the methodology (and the often ridiculous arguments) used to rank quarterbacks in the NFL.

In no other team sport that I am aware of is the productivity and success of a player as dependent on the quality (or lack thereof) of those around them as an NFL quarterback.

So Mahomes, who has been blessed with Kelce and Tyreek, or Burrow who was kissed on the ***** with Chase, Higgins and Boyd are ranked top two, whilst Allen has basically had Diggs and not much else.

Ergo, it is rarely a like-for-like comparison. 

It truly beggars belief that a clueless Aussie needs to point this out to a bunch of so-called experts who grew up with the sport.

Maybe I am biased but allow me to quote our OC: "Give me Josh Allen - all day, every day"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

One of the "coaches an executives" actually voted Josh in tier 3!  That is so laughably ridiculous that whoever made that vote should never be allowed near a football team again.

It was actually Beane, he knows how expensive that next extension is going to be

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

As a non-American, I am truly fascinated by the methodology (and the often ridiculous arguments) used to rank quarterbacks in the NFL.

In no other team sport that I am aware of is the productivity and success of a player as dependent on the quality (or lack thereof) of those around them as an NFL quarterback.

So Mahomes, who has been blessed with Kelce and Tyreek, or Burrow who was kissed on the ***** with Chase, Higgins and Boyd are ranked top two, whilst Allen has basically had Diggs and not much else.

Ergo, it is rarely a like-for-like comparison. 

It truly beggars belief that a clueless Aussie needs to point this out to a bunch of so-called experts who grew up with the sport.

Maybe I am biased but allow me to quote our OC: "Give me Josh Allen - all day, every day"

Plus, Mahomes has Andy Reid, and even Burrow has an Offensive-minded HC too.

Where Josh is on his 3rd OC. (4th under McDermott)

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I wonder if it's the same person who said he was overrated (there's a long thread devoted to that comment). In thinking about who might have said that, I am thinking about two teams that he has historically been pretty meh against: the Jets and the Bengals. He's had a couple of good games vs the Jets over the years, but he's had a lot forgettable performances too. Going back to 2019, he hasn't looked especially good vs the Bengals either, and he didn't play well at all in the January 2023 playoff game against them. So maybe from one of those teams?

• Like (+1) 2

Interesting comments in the piece on Aaron Rodgers:

Rodgers dropped into Tier 2 for the first time in 11 Tiers appearances after suffering a torn Achilles tendon last season.

Some thought this was ridiculous.

“Were the guys that did not put Rodgers in Tier 1 from the 29 teams whose offenses would be better with him instead of their current QBs?” one voter protested.

Only Mahomes, Burrow and Allen commanded more Tier 1 votes than the 23 for Rodgers. But with seven votes in Tier 3 and two in Tier 4, Rodgers slipped from the elite ranks.

“Maybe he falls off,” an offensive coach placing Rodgers in Tier 1 said. “I just know the last time I saw him play, he can carry it. I’m going off that.”

Not everyone thought Rodgers was playing so well when he finished in Green Bay.

“You go back and watch those first four plays before he got hurt, he did not look good,” a head coach placing Rodgers in Tier 3 said. “He looks old. If they can’t protect him and they can’t run the football, it’ll be just what you saw late stages in Green Bay. He became ineffective. I’m looking at what he is, not who he is.”

A voter whose team practiced against the Jets last summer said he thought Rodgers appeared “fragile” and might not last five games this season. The Achilles injury and Rodgers’ age (he turns 41 in December) created uncertainty.

No player in Tiers history has rated as high as Rodgers did this year while getting votes in Tier 4.

“The complaint in Green Bay was he did not have the receiver help he needed as he got older,” another voter said. “You cannot say that now with what they have around him on the Jets. If we get a Rodgers year where the Jets are back in playoffs and winning playoff games, that’s just what happens when you have a Tier 1 quarterback.”

31 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Burrow is way overrated by the general media and public. It's like the fact that he's injury prone is just dismissed.

Best ability and all...

From the piece:

The 43 Tier 1 votes for Burrow are six fewer than he received last year after his latest injury, which required surgery on his throwing wrist, amplified durability concerns.

“You love everything about him, but at some point, physically, his body is going to fail,” a defensive coach who has faced Burrow multiple times said.

Burrow’s confidence is one of his most endearing qualities.

“He is a cool, calm, collected, confident version of Kirk Cousins,” another coach said. “He might have a little better arm strength, but the skill set is very similar, except Burrow is not an overthinker. He just has this confidence that he’s right, and he throws with that purpose and that confidence, and normally, he is right.”

Injuries cost Burrow six games as a rookie (knee) and seven last season (calf).

“He is definitely a 1,” a head coach said. “He is an accurate, touch passer with anticipation, but they gotta be careful. He is getting hurt on his throwing arm. You have injuries to your legs like he’s had, that will affect your arm. I’m curious to see how the ball comes off his hand this year.”

1 hour ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

He Is on the Jets or Dolphins