Great Stevie Johnson Interview

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

so you are saying every other OC in the NFL was more concerned with their own ego ("this is how you do it") to allow Stevie the "freedom" to dominate DBs with his unique route running abilities?

Yeah that makes no sense at all.  it's about winning. Anyone would take him if he actually was what you described.  I mean Gailey had 2 more OC jobs in the Division--Chan could have pulled Stevie off his couch to the Dolphins in 2020.

No, Stevie had a couple of decent seasons and then he was done.  Simple as that.

It was about timing, imo.

He wasn't always where he was supposed to be when he was supposed to be there. He'd likely get there eventually, but maybe a half second late.

There was a sort of inconsistency at play and I kind of thought it took a cerebral and unconventional QB like Fitz to be able to deal with that sort of unpredictability.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

It was about timing, imo.

He wasn't always where he was supposed to be when he was supposed to be there. He'd likely get there eventually, but maybe a half second late.

There was a sort of inconsistency at play and I kind of thought it took a cerebral and unconventional QB like Fitz to be able to deal with that sort of unpredictability.

I’ll buy that 

2 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Man, listening to Murph really makes me sad that we will now have Josh Allen's career highlights permanently narrated by Chris Brown. It's such a huge step down.

Weird.  That's kind of what I thought when Van Miller retired and Murph took over.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Logic said:

Stevie was a real one.

His skillset SPECIFICALLY worked in the system he played in here in Buffalo, and because Fitz was his QB.

Both Chan and Fitz let him have the freedom to use his unconventional route running tactics, so long as he got where he was supposed to get to and got open. Not every offense in the league -- in fact, almost NO offense in the league -- would let him operate the way he did. It's why he never replicated his success in SF or SD, and why he was out of the league by age 30.

I'll never forget the fits he used to give Darrelle Revis. I think Revis struggled against him specifically BECAUSE he was so unorthodox. Revis knew how to defend every WR trick in the book. But Stevie had an entirely different book of tricks all his own.

Stevie was a unique and idiosyncratic player and personality. Always really enjoyed watching him. 

Thanks for sharing this interview.

Steve Johnson was an unconventional route runner.  He usually got where he was supposed to be but he never made the cuts to get there the way plays were drawn up.   That can work when you've got a QB who is very comfortable ad libbing, but it tends to make offensive coordinators turn gray.  Some QBs would struggle with receivers like that.

17 hours ago, scuba guy said:

All I remember of him is the dropped pass and his td, where he pulled up his shirt and it said why so serious.

That's all you remember?

Were you on a 6 year bender or something?

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I’ll buy that 

yeah I mean Stevie had no business becoming a 1,000 yard receiver in the league but he did because the team at that time let him work. 

He would’ve been an immediate cut on some other teams prioritizing succinct route running and timing routes. 

More than one way to skin a cat.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

yeah I mean Stevie had no business becoming a 1,000 yard receiver in the league but he did because the team at that time let him work. 

He would’ve been an immediate cut on some other teams prioritizing succinct route running and timing routes. 

More than one way to skin a cat.

there are dozens of mediocre route runners on NFL rosters.  A JAG like John Brown had 2 100 yard seasons.

It makes no sense to say no one wanted a guy who could always get open:

"Look Stevie, I know you can beat your man one way or another, but I, the OC, only want you to run the very crisp routes that I have diagrammed for you"

sounds dumb, right?

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Man, listening to Murph really makes me sad that we will now have Josh Allen's career highlights permanently narrated by Chris Brown. It's such a huge step down.

"Touchdown pass by Josh Allen! He's a pistachio farmer and it's safe to say he's driving this defense nuts! Keon Coleman with the reception! Neon Keon you remind me of Celine Dion! But instead of your heart going on, it's your receiving skills you got going on!"

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

"Touchdown pass by Josh Allen! He's a pistachio farmer and it's safe to say he's driving this defense nuts! Keon Coleman with the reception! Neon Keon you remind me of Celine Dion! But instead of your heart going on, it's your receiving skills you got going on!"

Oh god. It's hilariously sad how this isn't far from one of his absurd calls.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

so you are saying every other OC in the NFL was more concerned with their own ego ("this is how you do it") to allow Stevie the "freedom" to dominate DBs with his unique route running abilities?

Yeah that makes no sense at all.  it's about winning. Anyone would take him if he actually was what you described.  I mean Gailey had 2 more OC jobs in the Division--Chan could have pulled Stevie off his couch to the Dolphins in 2020.

No, Stevie had a couple of decent seasons and then he was done.  Simple as that.

You're making wildly more out of what I said than what I actually said.

Stevie Johnson was a unique route runner. On most teams, he would've failed because he didn't do things very conventionally, and if you tried to force him to do so, he wouldn't have succeeded. Presumably, the two teams he was on after the Bills DID ask him to do things more conventionally, and his success dropped off considerably, and he was out of the league within two seasons.

If you honestly think that head coaches and OCs don't often have massive egos, or that they aren't often "my way or the highway" guys, then I don't know what to tell you. 

Never said the dude was a Hall of Famer, only that he had a strange and singular way of running routes that happened to give Darrelle Revis fits, and that his style likely wouldn't have thrived on other teams with a less open-minded OC and QB

Here's an article about Stevie's unique route running, specifically showing it's success against Darrelle Revis, since you're choosing to be weirdly rude and combative about the whole thing.

Have a lovely day, you charming cad.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/6/28/3123004/buffalo-bills-stevie-johnson-route-running-unorthodox

31 minutes ago, Logic said:

You're making wildly more out of what I said than what I actually said.

Stevie Johnson was a unique route runner. On most teams, he would've failed because he didn't do things very conventionally, and if you tried to force him to do so, he wouldn't have succeeded. Presumably, the two teams he was on after the Bills DID ask him to do things more conventionally, and his success dropped off considerably, and he was out of the league within two seasons.

If you honestly think that head coaches and OCs don't often have massive egos, or that they aren't often "my way or the highway" guys, then I don't know what to tell you. 

Never said the dude was a Hall of Famer, only that he had a strange and singular way of running routes that happened to give Darrelle Revis fits, and that his style likely wouldn't have thrived on other teams with a less open-minded OC and QB

Here's an article about Stevie's unique route running, specifically showing it's success against Darrelle Revis, since you're choosing to be weirdly rude and combative about the whole thing.

Have a lovely day, you charming cad.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/6/28/3123004/buffalo-bills-stevie-johnson-route-running-unorthodox

Why on earth would any OC not want a guy with a unique method for getting open?  where's the "Logic" in that? Open is open, a catch is a catch. 

rude and combative?  you're making less sense with each post.  stop digging....

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why on earth would any OC not want a guy with a unique method for getting open?  where's the "Logic" in that? Open is open, a catch is a catch. 

I explained myself clearly. I linked an article detailing exactly what I was talking about. It's all out there on Youtube to be watched by anyone with the time and inclination to do so. Your opinion is your opinion. Clearly no input, explanation, or video evidence to the contrary will sway you. That's fine. I truly don't care.

Hope you have a great Tuesday. 

2 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Oh god. It's hilariously sad how this isn't far from one of his absurd calls.

I remember him saying something so stupid about James cook I turned off the broadcast. He really doesn't need to chill a bit and stop with all the Dad joke commentary. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Stevie was often to the spot late and not necessarily at the right spot.  Fitzpatrick had a very good sense of when/where Stevie would come open and could get him the ball anyway.  Very strong connection, and very difficult to defend.

Also not something every OC and their systems can/will tolerate.  It places a severe importance on mutual execution outside of the design of the play.

2 hours ago, Avisan said:

Stevie was often to the spot late and not necessarily at the right spot.  Fitzpatrick had a very good sense of when/where Stevie would come open and could get him the ball anyway.  Very strong connection, and very difficult to defend.

Also not something every OC and their systems can/will tolerate.  It places a severe importance on mutual execution outside of the design of the play.

Loved me some Fitz, but this concept that only he could find an open Stevie isn't believable.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Loved me some Fitz, but this concept that only he could find an open Stevie isn't believable.

I'm not sure where the disconnect is?  Fitz and Stevie had very good chemistry which allowed them to be very productive outside of the bounds of typical play structure.  Typical play structure in the modern era is highly regimented in terms of timing and exactly where players are on the field.  That structure is what allows players to be "schemed open" on a given play.

Johnson was effective as the #1 option in an offense helmed by a QB that could freestyle with him, but was not nearly as effective outside of that setting.

On 8/26/2024 at 8:47 AM, scuba guy said:

All I remember of him is the dropped pass and his td, where he pulled up his shirt and it said why so serious.

That's really sad because in today's NFL, Stevie is a legit top 7-ish receiver IMO. His route running was so far ahead of the game and he would routinely cook Revis (in his prime... how don't you remember that?) He get's to San Diego, mentors Keenan Allen and no surprise, guess who is one of the best route runners in the league?

1 hour ago, Avisan said:

I'm not sure where the disconnect is?  Fitz and Stevie had very good chemistry which allowed them to be very productive outside of the bounds of typical play structure.  Typical play structure in the modern era is highly regimented in terms of timing and exactly where players are on the field.  That structure is what allows players to be "schemed open" on a given play.

Johnson was effective as the #1 option in an offense helmed by a QB that could freestyle with him, but was not nearly as effective outside of that setting.

the disconnect is the belief that no other OC or QB could value a WR who had unusual ways to get open.  A better QB than Fitzy certainly could use a guy like that. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

the disconnect is the belief that no other OC or QB could value a WR who had unusual ways to get open.  A better QB than Fitzy certainly could use a guy like that. 

I mean I'm sure some other combo theoretically could have, but ultimately he did nothing of note on the field after leaving Buffalo.