Bills cuts

14 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I had Jones making the squad in most of my projections, but then I realized today that his dead cap was zero if cut while Morrow’s was 750K.  That zero dead cap made Jones expendable if he didn’t dominate in camp, which he didn’t.  It will be interesting to see if he becomes one of the 6 vets they sign to the PS. 

One other note about Andreessen vs Ulofoshio.  Andreessen’s dead cap if cut is $2500, while Ulofoshio’s is 314K.  The Bills are pinching pennies this year.  If someone isn’t head and shoulders above another depth player, the Bills are probably cutting the guy with the smallest dead cap.

Just for the sake of accuracy Ulofoshio is under a rookie contract.  If cut his 2024 dead cap hit is $78k and $235k in 2025.

In essence it's a post June 1st cut.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/90493/edefuan-ulofoshio

16 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Watching the Denver game (local channel)  Zach Wilson is connecting on bombs and may not make the team, looks much better than Trubisky

I would take Zach Wilson in a second. Plenty of good potential with him. Not his fault that he got drafted by the Jets.

• Agree 3

I'd also take Wilson. More talent than any backup QB we have. He has some mobility and can make all the throws. He just isn't consistent at all. 

Also someone has to make the notable cuts around the league topic so everyone can get excited about players they've heard before

I think the reasons a team would release players early, are to give the players a leg up on finding a new team to try to stick with, and to open up roster spaces so the Bills can bring in players other teams cut to see if they might be useful, probably just for the practice squad.  For the Bills, except for a possible QB3, I can't see how a new player could absorb the system quickly enough to be useful.

It seems to me, with the NFL increasing the number of regular season games, that they should also be increasing the size of the roster. Multiple teams are really beaten up after that many games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Ulofoshio may be an IR stash. 

As Joe Buscaglia pointed out, the Bills may try to stash him on IR for the year, as his rib injury mysteriously takes a very long time to heal...

They've done this several times in recent years with rookies they want to keep but otherwise wouldn't have roster space for, including with ANOTHER 5th round pick in Justin Shorter.

It's a roster loophole, and the Bills have been known to take advantage of it. Don't be surprised if you hear about a really bad hangnail soon for Ulo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

As Joe Buscaglia pointed out, the Bills may try to stash him on IR for the year, as his rib injury mysteriously takes a very long time to heal...

They've done this several times in recent years with rookies they want to keep but otherwise wouldn't have roster space for, including with ANOTHER 5th round pick in Justin Shorter.

It's a roster loophole, and the Bills have been known to take advantage of it. Don't be surprised if you hear about a really bad hangnail soon for Ulo.

Bills trainers are placing banana peels and trip wires in front of specific lockers as we speak under the direction of Beane.

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Bills have rostered 6 LBers every season under McD, I don’t see that changing. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Bills have rostered 6 LBers every season under McD, I don’t see that changing. 

Bills have always kept 1 LB as a strictly PS type guy.  If those jobs have moved into another position, I could see a chance they only keep 5

with someone on the PS that can come back during the season.

40 minutes ago, Logic said:

It's only a loophole as long as the player is willing to go along with it. If they get cleared by a doctor and want to play they can force an injury settlement and get released from IR.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

It's only a loophole as long as the player is willing to go along with it. If they get cleared by a doctor and want to play they can force an injury settlement and get released from IR.

And considering he played the final 2 preseason games and are already short LBers, I don’t see the point.

Just now, Big Turk said:

Agreed, but I think in a lot of cases the player IS willing to go along with it.

I think some guys -- late rounders, in particular -- would rather be stashed for a year, collect their pay, and then get a fresh start in year two with a playbook and coaching staff they already know, vs hitting free agency and taking the risk that no other team signs them.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5

47 minutes ago, Logic said:

Spleen. Spleen is auto IR and no way they can steal him off the PS

• Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agreed, but I think in a lot of cases the player IS willing to go along with it.

I think some guys -- late rounders, in particular -- would rather be stashed for a year, collect their pay, and then get a fresh start in year two with a playbook and coaching staff they already know, vs hitting free agency and taking the risk that no other team signs them.

Eddy U isn’t some raw 7th rounder, though. We may be able to use him on special teams.