Bills cuts

32 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Wow, I thought one of Shavers or Hamler would make it.  They must be very confident in MVS and Samuel.

I was expecting Shavers to make it over MVS but clearly the FO wants the playoffs experience. 

With Shorter and Shavers both cut, it is clear that while Beane does well overall with the lower picks, that skill doesn't translate to the WR area. For some reason, the entire process of stocking the WR cabinet is a major weak point in an otherwise competent FO. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

37 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

Surprise NFL Roster Cuts

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/surprise-nfl-roster-cuts-2024/

Buffalo Bills | WR Tyrell Shavers

I want to find a DB named Jack so when Bills have DB move into run stuff formation they can call it  Jack-in-the-Box formation.

image.png.7e9c0585e710d28bee03d5f8859185a3.png

Jack in the Box from Astro City Comic.

I would of kept Shavers over MVS

• Agree 3

23 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The move that maybe surprised me the most based on everything I'd read and seen posted was keeping Toohill over Jonathon at DE

It surprised Sal Capaccio as well - he had them keeping 6 DE, but he had Jonathan over Toohill

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, julian said:

I agree, I’m fine moving on from him. The owners love and trust him so barring another 13 second coaching debacle, he’s going nowhere anytime soon, and even that might not move the needle enough for Terry to show him the door.

Sad but true. 13 seconds was unforgivable in my opinion. Don’t want to waste all of Allen’s years. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I was expecting Shavers to make it over MVS but clearly the FO wants the playoffs experience. 

With Shorter and Shavers both cut, it is clear that while Beane does well overall with the lower picks, that skill doesn't translate to the WR area. For some reason, the entire process of stocking the WR cabinet is a major weak point in an otherwise competent FO. 

Hmmm.  Shavers is an UDFA.  Shorter is a late 5th round pick.  Shakir is a late 5th round pick.  Gabe Davis is a late 4th round pick.  Hodgins is a late 6th round pick.  

Davis played for us 4 years and signed a low #1/high #2 contract in FA.  Shakir seems to be someone we're counting on this year.  That's at least 40% hit rate, if you don't count Hodgins having played decently for the Giants (just got cut though)

I personally think the weak point is that Beane hasn't invested enough 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks in WR - not that he's especially poor at ID'ing Day 3 WR talent in the draft.

I think if you look at Beane's overall draft record it's not breaking 40% at CB or LB or any other position drafted on day 3, and actually, 40% is pretty good

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I fear that I will never understand the Mack Hollins love by fans (or the team).

I'm not saying the guy is Jerry Rice or anything. But cherry picking tweets from 4-5 years ago and before his years of improvement is extremely disingenuous.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Outside of Allen I can't make a good argument for another player that is supremely physically gifted on this roster.  Beane and McD have built a roster of scheme specific role players with very few that can win individual match-ups.  Even worse with the exception of Kincaid and Cook most of the next tier guys are on defense - Oliver, Rousseau, Johnson, Douglas, and the corpses of Milano and Miller.  

In almost every case save Herbert in LA, the other top tier QBs have at least one and sometimes more than one top end talent. 

As always our only hope is Allen, but he is going to need Brady to scheme some easier throws and build a consistent ground game outside of Allen scrambling.  

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Hmmm.  Shavers is an UDFA.  Shorter is a late 5th round pick.  Shakir is a late 5th round pick.  Gabe Davis is a late 4th round pick.  Hodgins is a late 6th round pick.  

Davis played for us 4 years and signed a low #1/high #2 contract in FA.  Shakir seems to be someone we're counting on this year.  That's at least 40% hit rate, if you don't count Hodgins having played decently for the Giants (just got cut though)

I personally think the weak point is that Beane hasn't invested enough 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks in WR - not that he's especially poor at ID'ing Day 3 WR talent in the draft.

I think if you look at Beane's overall draft record it's not breaking 40% at CB or LB or any other position drafted on day 3, and actually, 40% is pretty good

Fair. But I mixed two points in my post. 

1. He hasn't hit on many lower picks at the Wr position . Which you disagree with , and I am fine with that but given the lack of top end talent, I would expect more "swing for the fences " picks 

2. Prioritizing WRs in the draft, which has been discussed and debated ad nauseum on this board

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Fair. But I mixed two points in my post. 

1. He hasn't hit on many lower picks at the Wr position . Which you disagree with , and I am fine with that but given the lack of top end talent, I would expect more "swing for the fences " picks 

2. Prioritizing WRs in the draft, which has been discussed and debated and nauseum on this board

I don't disagree that the hit rate at WR (2/5) has not been great on the day 3 picks.

I'm just pointing out it's not necessarily better at other positions - yeah, we got a starting CB in the 6th in Christan Benford, a starting nickel in the 4th in Taron Johnson.  But what's your take on Dane Jackson, Damar Hamlin, Jacquan Johnson, and Siran Neal?    Most people here seemed to think Johnson and Neal had no business starting on D and made the team as STers, which is true.  Consensus also seemed to be that Jackson needed an upgrade (which, Elam was supposed to be) and so did Hamlin.  And Rachad Wildgoose, Alex Austin, and Daequan Hardy didn't make the team.  So let's call Jackson and Hamlin positives (they did both start) and Neal and Jacquan Johnson negatives, fair?  So that would be 4 out of 8 hit rate, 50%

I guess that's better than 40%, but at the 8 DB vs 5 WR numbers, it's not a significant difference

22 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Outside of Allen I can't make a good argument for another player that is supremely physically gifted on this roster.  Beane and McD have built a roster of scheme specific role players with very few that can win individual match-ups.  Even worse with the exception of Kincaid and Cook most of the next tier guys are on defense - Oliver, Rousseau, Johnson, Douglas, and the corpses of Milano and Miller.  

In almost every case save Herbert in LA, the other top tier QBs have at least one and sometimes more than one top end talent. 

As always our only hope is Allen, but he is going to need Brady to scheme some easier throws and build a consistent ground game outside of Allen scrambling.  

Spencer Brown has 10 for RAS maybe try looking if you can’t name another supremely gifted player. Literally the most athletic tackle ever. 

cole bishop at 9.8+ (though no agility testing). 

ed Oliver 9.88

knox 9.23 for more offense 

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Who are the bottom players on this roster?  Toohill has to be close to the bottom if not player 53.  Spector and Andreessen have to be near the bottom.  Evans (in 4 weeks), MVS and Ingram have to be there as well.

49 - MVS

50 - Spector

51 - Ingram

52 - Andreessen

53 - Casey Toohill

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Spencer Brown has 10 for RAS maybe try looking if you can’t name another supremely gifted player. Literally the most athletic tackle ever. 

cole bishop at 9.8+ (though no agility testing). 

ed Oliver 9.88

knox 9.23 for more offense 

Brown so far is at best an average RT.  He still has much to prove to get a second deal.  Injuries have held him back no doubt.  He has gotten better. But if he had a 10 and that is supposed to mean something, how does he last until the fourth round and still struggle moving his feet in pass protection? 

Oliver is a good to very good DT with zero pro bowls and no where near a top 10 draft pick talent.  He is not really elite at anything - size, speed, or strength, and has been injured a fair amount.  He makes a handful of plays and can dominate at times.  He lacks consistency and again has no physical trait that is elite.  

Knox is the most physically gifted TE the Bills have ever had but that is a bit back-handed as the Bills have had the worst collective history of TEs in the league.  Not a single ProBowl player since the merger.  He is one of my favorite players, but either due to injury or lack of consistency he wasn't even good enough to keep Beane from drafting a TE to replace him.