Bills cuts

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's a massive black mark againat this regime if true! Cutting a talented prospect at a premium position because his special teams play isn't good enough?? I'd rather my kicked McDermott in the nuts theory turn out to be correct than this.

I don't think so.

There are other factors:  Ingram took a BIG step this offseason, Elam has shown some more consistency- basically the CB room in general has looked better than expected (at least to me).

I don't know about the 90/10 rationale.  Hardy was a solid, albeit undersized, corner who showed solid ability.  Outside play was a bit of a pleasant surprise to me, he's been a primary slot guy (which I think is still his best position).  

But he's going up against competing for a backup role with: Ingram and Lewis primarily, and didn't show enough to be a reliable returner at this level (yet).

It's a late round pick, not losing sleep over it.  The Jets returner looks ALOT more natural in that role, worse CB tho IMO.  Tough choice, I'd rather have the better returner right now

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I already updated with McKitty.  What about Keaton Bills and Te'Cory Couch.  I assume they have been cut, but I don't think I've seen it "officially"

ikkedxzrsfapaybdzlhs.jpg

The Bills placed OT Travis Clayton, RB Darrynton Evans and LB Matt Milano on Injured Reserve (IR). The Bills designated both Milano and Evans as eligible to return this season.

Edited by Punching Bag
Added IR
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Seems like it was just a numbers game. Behind Benford, Douglas, and Elam - they preferred Ingram and Lewis over him. Lewis being listed as a Safety, but would definitely be the next CB they call up if there were 1 or 2 injuries as he's played just as much there as Safety.

I don't buy this excuse. I would rather just keep 7 DBs instead of keeping Toohill as the 10th DL. Hardy >>>>>>>> Toohill. The numbers game is meaningless when faced with that simple fact.

I mean they could have just IR'd him if they didn't want to keep him on the initial roster. Ah but no we had to use that spot on our RB4.

This is the capstone on a very perplexing offseason IMO.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Allen2Coleman said:

I like Mckitty too. Is Morris that great of a blocker to overrule these others??? I never paid that great of attention to that…

Morris is a good blocker - would never guess he was a college WR.  And he is a demon on STs both coverage and return game. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

And I'll admit, I didn't watch every Pre-Season snap or focus on him. They had him on the Outside? That's surprising to me as he was a Nickel Draft Prospect.

Seems like it was just a numbers game. Behind Benford, Douglas, and Elam - they preferred Ingram and Lewis over him. Lewis being listed as a Safety, but would definitely be the next CB they call up if there were 1 or 2 injuries as he's played just as much there as Safety.

So it came down to KR being the most important thing for that last spot. Especially when none of the WR's or Safeties are guys you'd put back there (maybe Shakir but they probably don't want to expose him to that). Or Codrington, who I know even less about, impressed them more at the CB position as well as KR duties.

Yea they had him do some nickel and some outside in game 1 and after that he has played exclusively outside. Targeted 10 times he has given up 2 catches for 13 yards. It has been a lot with 3s but some 2s and @HappyDays is right he has played well there.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's a massive black mark againat this regime if true! Cutting a talented prospect at a premium position because his special teams play isn't good enough?? I'd rather my kicked McDermott in the nuts theory turn out to be correct than this.

We are talking about a 6th round pick and CB5 on the team. I think you are being a little dramatic man. 

I'll give McDermott some benefit of the doubt when it comes to DBs. If they thought he had good potential at CB I don't think they release him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I don't buy this excuse. I would rather just keep 7 DBs instead of keeping Toohill as the 10th DL. Hardy >>>>>>>> Toohill. The numbers game is meaningless when faced with that simple fact.

I mean they could have just IR'd him if they didn't want to keep him on the initial roster. Ah but no we had to use that spot on our RB4.

Everyone is caught up on Toohill, my guess is he won't even be on the team 24 hours from now. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Punching Bag said:

The Bills placed OT Travis Clayton, RB Darrynton Evans and LB Matt Milano on Injured Reserve (IR).

The Bills designated both Milano and Evans as eligible to return this season.

Is Clayton the International player who would have a PS exemption anyways?

1 minute ago, Doc said:

If I'm not mistaken, a cut player has to be signed to another team's 53 man roster.  If so and if Hardy is injured, I can't see anyone doing that.

Nah a cut player can be signed to a practice squad. They can only be waiver claimed to a 53. If they pass through waivers they can sign anywhere. The Bills might be playing that game of chicken but its risky. 

1 minute ago, freddyjj said:

Yes

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, freddyjj said:

They drafted him.

Travis Clayton is an English professional American football offensive tackle for the Buffalo Bills of the National Football League. He played rugby union in England and joined the NFL as part of the International Player Pathway Program, being selected by the Bills in the seventh round of the 2024 NFL draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Wow this is the capstone D Hardy? Really?

You know we have an excellent secondary coaching group, probably the one area I have the utmost confidence in.  They'll either bring Hardy back to the P/S, and or Couch, to develop.

What has Hardy shown in the return game, to rationalize holding onto him?  Some questionable decision making, which he's improving on.  But shouldn't we be looking to fine the best group of 53 to help us win?

Hardy isn't seeing the field, unless we suffer 3 injuries at CB.  I'm hopeful that doesn't happen.

I see Toohill as expendable, with any roster move this week OR in the near future.  So it's less about advocating for him to stay.

Hardy would be going to IR over Evans...1 injury in the RB room and Evans is dressing after week 4.  Can't say that about Hardy (again see above)

44 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Cline and Kingsley looked better to me

Sports politics yet again. They went with the “name” and the guy who has played meaningful snaps over potential. Unless the player is the equivalent of a Lebron James, or a superstar like that, there will always be politics as a “back of the roster” player. It sucks, I’ve gone through it myself (though not at the pro level).

One more thing which confuses me.

People talking about Hardy being possibly injured, but if he is injured, is it possible to cut him?

If yes, why didn't we cut Buechele, Burgess and Delaney and have them on Injured Reserve with their cap hits counted against cap space?

23 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Is it?  

Beane is primarily responsible for acquiring players.

But I think cutting players is more collaborative.  The coaching staff works with these guys day in and day out.  They know who should stay and who must go.

I imagine, Beane, McD, and the coordinators all meet to discuss cuts, each bringing their own perspective and insights.  

I wonder who gets the final call but if I was in charge, I'd leave it in the hands of the head coach.  

The Hard Knocks series has given good insight on this.  They’ve shown the coaching staff all together making their cases for keeping players.  There’s no way a GM not named Doug Whaley would make the final roster decisions alone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1