Bills cuts

1 minute ago, Allen2Coleman said:

Lots of people think McDermott rules the roost since he came first, but I would imagine he has great  input, but Beane has to consider everything including cap implications. 

Also, people hate McDermott so they want to pin all bad decisions on him. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Allen2Coleman said:

I like Mckitty too. Is Morris that great of a blocker to overrule these others??? I never paid that great of attention to that…

He is a MUCH better special teams player. He is a much bettet blocker than Davidson too. He is probably a better blocker than McKitty but that one is close.

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Has Beane said that? 

Yes. In his intro presser. As did Pegula.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

My guess is that Hardy was drafted 90% for his return abilities, and they just weren't impressed with that aspect of his game.

Yes, he looked good as a Cornerback in the preseason.  But the Bills already have Rasul Douglas, Christian Benford and Taron Johnson as starters, Kaiir Elam itching to get on the field and another promising youngster in Jamarcus Ingram.

They probably value a guy who will actually play this season (as a returner), over a guy who would be the #5 outside guy the entire year.

Hopefully they can bring him back to the practice squad.

Couldn't trade him? 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The 53 is Beane's call. He obviously consults the staff but the 53 is on Beane.

Is it?  

Beane is primarily responsible for acquiring players.

But I think cutting players is more collaborative.  The coaching staff works with these guys day in and day out.  They know who should stay and who must go.

I imagine, Beane, McD, and the coordinators all meet to discuss cuts, each bringing their own perspective and insights.  

I wonder who gets the final call but if I was in charge, I'd leave it in the hands of the head coach.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But then why use a designate to return spot on him? Especially if the rumour that Hardy is hurt is correct? Why not protect a rookie? 

I didn't see the IR desig on Evans until just now...sorry catching up.

Hardy decision making likely got on McD nerves.  Coach is a stickler with fundamentals/decision making.  Reason McKenzie was in the doghouse too.

That's just a guess.  I really liked Hardy but we have very solid depth (inside/out) in the secondary.  They likely saw the Jets rookie as an upgrade on the returner role, simple as that.  

Also speculating they have a feeling that Gore Jr might be scooped up.  They are going to be heavily utilizing the rungame/RBs in passing game this year.  If we stay healthy in thr backfield thru 4 weeks, it's a nice problem when Evans returns (insurance policy, Evans is a nice back in a limited role)

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is a MUCH better special teams player. He is a much bettet blocker than Davidson too. He is probably a better blocker than McKitty but that one is close.

Yes. In his intro presser. As did Pegula.

Wasn’t thinking about special team🤦‍♂️ You are right about that👍

Just now, Allen2Coleman said:

I just want to be more explosive on offense and I just don’t see Morris bringing much to the table. I liked Davidsons size advantage.

I'd have kept Davidson to be clear, but he could only stay if you kept 4 tight ends. Your third tight end has to block and play teams. That is pretty much a given. Davidson does neither. He was never in competition with Morris he was in competition with guys at other spots fighting over those ladt 3 or 4 roster spots.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

My guess is that Hardy was drafted 90% for his return abilities, and they just weren't impressed with that aspect of his game.

That's a massive black mark againat this regime if true! Cutting a talented prospect at a premium position because his special teams play isn't good enough?? I'd rather my kicked McDermott in the nuts theory turn out to be correct than this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

Is it?  

Beane is primarily responsible for acquiring players.

But I think cutting players is more collaborative.  The coaching staff works with these guys day in and day out.  They know who should stay and who must go.

I imagine, Beane, McD, and the coordinators all meet to discuss cuts, each bringing their own perspective and insights.  

I wonder who gets the final call but if I was in charge, I'd leave it in the hands of the head coach.  

On the 53 the final call js Beane. McDermott has the gamedays actives and coaching staff. The Bills were really clear about this when Beane was hired and as I say the people who have been in the building say it works exactly as they say it does. Beane and McDermott are really collabrative as is the organisation generally but they stay in their lanes and take the final calls they are contracted to take.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Can only imagine the Hardy calculation is he is hurt so can't sign anywhere immediately and when he is healthy the Bills hope to swoop back in??

If he goes to PS and then on the roster, will he have his original rookie contract? Or is it gone for good with this cut? 

8 minutes ago, juno999 said:

McD said earlier this Summer, Hardy was drafted for his KR/PR abilities.

I can believe that, but I thought he showed a lot of promise as a DB. Just a numbers game I guess. He unfortunately returned a lot of kicks he should have let go and may have doomed himself.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd have kept Davidson to be clear, but he could only stay if you kept 4 tight ends. Your third tight end has to block and play teams. That is pretty much a given. Davidson does neither. He was never in competition with Morris he was in competition with guys at other spots fighting over those ladt 3 or 4 roster spots.

Good insight 👍

12 minutes ago, juno999 said:

Marino is a mixed bag.  He was convinced the Bills would re-sign Edmunds, hated the Terrell Bernard pick, and even hated the Dorian Williams pick.  Not sure I'd lock it in on whatever he says.

But he sure is a bag of hot wind, isn't he?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

And none of that matters. What does matter is the lack of talent at key impact positions like WR and pass rush. Beane traded Diggs and let Gabe walk and replaced them with JAGs. There was no Floyd move on defense. I just don’t get doing a cap reset in the middle of a QB’s prime years.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

If he goes to PS and then on the roster, will he have his original rookie contract? Or is it gone for good with this cut? 

Gone for good. He's be on the relevant minimum for a rookie. Unless cut again he'd become an RFA after 3 years and a UFA after 4.

Just now, Low Positive said:

And none of that matters. What does matter is the lack of talent at key impact positions like WR and pass rush. Beane traded Diggs and let Gabe walk and replaced them with JAGs. There was no Floyd move on defense. I just don’t get doing a cap reset in the middle of a QB’s prime years.

You kinda always have to do one mid Quarterback tenure. That isn't to say I agree with every decision they have made either in the run up to, or during, this league year. But at some point a transition year from Josh Allen team version 1 to Josh Allen team version 2 was gonna be necessary. You just have to hope they remain competitive this year and by this time next year we are all pretty sure the team got better as against where we are today. If that isn't the case then it is an unacceptable failure.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Forget his kick returning. He looked great playing outside CB. Showed a real knack for zone transitions and got his hands on a lot of passes. Now I'll admit I did not happen to dive into Brandon Codrington film so maybe he's shown out too, but our own draft pick that we've spent the offseason developing performs as well as he has at a premium position and we just toss him to the curb? I am not one to get hung up on roster cuts but this one makes zero sense to me.

And I'll admit, I didn't watch every Pre-Season snap or focus on him. They had him on the Outside? That's surprising to me as he was a Nickel Draft Prospect.

Seems like it was just a numbers game. Behind Benford, Douglas, and Elam - they preferred Ingram and Lewis over him. Lewis being listed as a Safety, but would definitely be the next CB they call up if there were 1 or 2 injuries as he's played just as much there as Safety.

So it came down to KR being the most important thing for that last spot. Especially when none of the WR's or Safeties are guys you'd put back there (maybe Shakir but they probably don't want to expose him to that). Or Codrington, who I know even less about, impressed them more at the CB position as well as KR duties.

21 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

People talk about Jonathan like he's the next Bruce or at least Jerry Hughes.  He looks more like a Shaq Lawson type with less get up.  The coaches watch these guys every day in practice.  They know who they want from the start of training camp.  For what its worth I liked Branson Dean.  Thought he made a whole lot of plays against the Panthers.  And I liked Deon Cain.  But they were basically just filling space until cut down day.  

Have to trust McBeane that they know what they are doing.  

Jonathan is completely underwhelming. A “meh” of a player. I’m not part of the Jonathan fan club whatsoever. In fact, I’m sick of hearing about all his potential that seems to disappear when he hits a field. But he gives you more pass rush potential than Toohill. Toohill is diet Ryan Denney on his best day. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1