Bills cuts

3 minutes ago, FLFan said:

The waiver claim deadline is Noon today.  After that, teams can begin to build practice squads.  

yes I know , i just wanted to know if anyone had heard anything early.

like this.

Edited by MikePJ76

4 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

yes I know , i just wanted to know if anyone had heard anything early.

You typically won’t. They, if I recall, send out a press release from the NFL with all claims and best reporters won’t know either because there could be multiple teams putting in claims . Only vested veterans can sign to the PS right now 

Edited by gonzo1105

52 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Okay. Casey Toohill is the #5 DE on the depth chart. Which of those two players would you rather have? For me it's a no brainer.

Cam Lewis has mostly sucked every time he's actually taken the field. For some reason this regime has an attachment to him.

You're probably right that I'm getting too worked up over a depth CB. But isn't that the point of the draft? You take a developmental prospect and coach him up and keep him around if he shows any kind of promise. This team has been devastated by injuries at the CB position the past few years. This is almost certainly Douglas' last year here. It is not a position you can just hand wave away and say eh we'll figure it out. You have to evaluate who is the best talent that you have and keep them around as long as possible, especially on a cost controlled late draft pick rookie contract.

It just blows my mind that McDermott's excuse boils down to "we drafted him to be a punt returner." So for that reason we'll totally ignore what he showed at the position that actually matters and keep Casey Toohill on the roster instead. It is bizarre decision making.

Toohill is DE6 actually. Groot, Von, AJE, Smoot, Solomon, Toohill.

I agree Toohill over Hardy makes no sense as a decision. But if he is hurt it comes down to Evans over Hardy. Which also makes no sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Toohill is DE6 actually. Groot, Von, AJE, Smoot, Solomon, Toohill.

I agree Toohill over Hardy makes no sense as a decision. But if he is hurt it comes down to Evans over Hardy. Which also makes no sense to me.

I wonder if they had plans to keep Evans over Johnson as the 3 but not sure that is still worth IRing a guy for 4 weeks. Just sign him when he’s healthy again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Okay. Casey Toohill is the #5 DE on the depth chart. Which of those two players would you rather have? For me it's a no brainer.

I get what you are saying.  Hardy seemed more productive in the preseason games I watched.

But you also need to keep in mind that we traded for the CB/Returner from the Jets.  Keeping Hardy too would have given us 8 cornerbacks, versus 4 defensive ends.

Cam Lewis has mostly sucked every time he's actually taken the field. For some reason this regime has an attachment to him.

You're probably right that I'm getting too worked up over a depth CB. But isn't that the point of the draft? You take a developmental prospect and coach him up and keep him around if he shows any kind of promise. This team has been devastated by injuries at the CB position the past few years. This is almost certainly Douglas' last year here. It is not a position you can just hand wave away and say eh we'll figure it out. You have to evaluate who is the best talent that you have and keep them around as long as possible, especially on a cost controlled late draft pick rookie contract.

This is definitely something I believe that Brandon Beane needs to consider in future drafts.

Every spring he seems to prioritize draft capital (10 picks last year, 8 next year).  Then he struggles to keep his picks on the roster when cut day comes along.  We seem to lose a member of our draft class every year to other teams.

Compared to other top NFL teams, the Bills have a very deep roster... but they also seem to lack impact/superstars.  Look at us against the Chiefs, 49ers, etc.  It's very possible this is a byproduct of Beane prioritizing quantity over quality.  

If Beane can consistently find solid players on Day 2-3 of the draft (only to later be forced to cut them)... then why not use some of those resources to move-up in the 1st Round and get a better prospect?  

It just blows my mind that McDermott's excuse boils down to "we drafted him to be a punt returner." So for that reason we'll totally ignore what he showed at the position that actually matters and keep Casey Toohill on the roster instead. It is bizarre decision making.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I get what you are saying.  Hardy seemed more productive in the preseason games I watched.

But you also need to keep in mind that we traded for the CB/Returner from the Jets.  Keeping Hardy too would have given us 8 cornerbacks, versus 4 defensive ends.

This is definitely something I believe that Brandon Beane needs to consider in future drafts.

Every spring he seems to prioritize draft capital (10 picks last year, 8 next year).  Then he struggles to keep his picks on the roster when cut day comes along.  We seem to lose a member of our draft class every year to other teams.

Compared to other top NFL teams, the Bills have a very deep roster... but they also seem to lack impact/superstars.  Look at us against the Chiefs, 49ers, etc.  It's very possible this is a byproduct of Beane prioritizing quantity over quality.  

If Beane can consistently find solid players on Day 2-3 of the draft (only to later be forced to cut them)... then why not use some of those resources to move-up in the 1st Round and get a better prospect?  

Its reasonable to think that the bottom 20 or even 30+ roster spots on most teams are similar talent wise. Look at the at the number of college football players coming out each year. I find it hard to believe you need to spend $ and prioritize certain guys over others when we are talking the bottom or even middle of the roster. The guys are similar at that point it comes down to either how good the top part of your roster is or coaching. That is why I believe you go all in on as many superstars that you can afford and fill the rest of your roster as needed. 

Add in the amount of wasted $ like the $1.6M L Collins just added to our dead cap number.

Edited by ngbills

3 minutes ago, damj said:

Ok, I gave them 24 minutes.

Why haven't the Bills released the Practice Squad list?

Give them a chance they couldn't sign anyone until 24 minutes ago.... were you hoping they'd be waiting there pens in hand?

22 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Its reasonable to think that the bottom 20 or even 30+ roster spots on most teams are similar talent wise. Look at the at the number of college football players coming out each year. I find it hard to believe you need to spend $ and prioritize certain guys over others when we are talking the bottom or even middle of the roster. The guys are similar at that point it comes down to either how good the top part of your roster is or coaching. That is why I believe you go all in on as many superstars that you can afford and fill the rest of your roster as needed. 

Add in the amount of wasted $ like the $1.6M L Collins just added to our dead cap number.

I don't think that is as safe an assumption as you do. That said, I agree the Bills have tended too far towards depth and not enough towards stars but as I said to @Chaos the other day it is a little bit chicken and egg. Have they spent less on stars because they spent more on depth or have they spent more on depth because they haven't had enough stars to justify paying them. In the Bills case over the last 5 or 6 years it has been a bit of both at different times. 

Agree with the Collins comment. I said when they signed him I thought it was a silly signing he was washed. 

3 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

I kind of thought the other day that Toohill was going to make it because Jonathan has shown very little and they need another experienced player at edge in case Solomon struggles and Miller is not miller.  Someone has to play the run here. 

I am hoping they make a move today for a more traditional strong side defensive end, yes I know they have a bigger body in smoot but I would like to see them add one more.  There are really none available so I doubt it happens.

My offseason worry all along has been defensive line and not wide receiver like so many others and I fear this line struggles and an injury or two could cripple the line completely.

Agree. When our second DL rotates in. We’re gonna get smoked. D is gonna be awful this year 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, balln said:

Agree. When our second DL rotates in. We’re gonna get smoked. D is gonna be awful this year 

well I didn't say that.  I have concerns though.  

Awful is a word I have or would not use however.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Okay no one was claimed so we are safe to build our PS as we'd like.

So all of that hubbub about guys and no one gets claimed  nor do we claim anyone. Doesn’t mean we didn’t try tho 

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

Carolina claimed three CBs and yet didn't claim Hardy. Perhaps we were overvaluing his performance as a CB in preseason games?

They suck. Carolina is not a team I’m looking as the talent evaluator measuring stick 

Just now, Low Positive said:

Carolina claimed three CBs and yet didn't claim Hardy. Perhaps we were overvaluing his performance as a CB in preseason games?

Correct. Too small to play outside, not stout enough to play modern nickel.  Im curious if Buffalo thinks he can develop into a special teamer and return man.  If so he is worth a ps spot.