Bills cuts

15 hours ago, HappyDays said:

That's a massive black mark againat this regime if true! Cutting a talented prospect at a premium position because his special teams play isn't good enough?? I'd rather my kicked McDermott in the nuts theory turn out to be correct than this.

The guy showed promise (against mostly 3rd/4th stringers), but let's take a breather for a second.

As a cornerback, Hardy would have been #5 on the depth chart behind Douglas, Benford, Elam and Ingram.  In the slot, he would be #3 on the depth chart behind Johnson and Lewis.  Does this team have space for another developmental DB, who isn't likely to crack the starting lineup for another 2-3 seasons at best?  Especially when you consider this regime can pretty much draft and develop good CBs at will.

I was surprised they cut him too.  But there is sound reasoning behind it.  It's great to have a deep pipeline.  But guys who aren't going to see the field NEED to be contributors on special teams.  They saw more value in replacing him with a returner, who will actually touch the ball multiple times every week.

• Like (+1) 2

I am listening to Sal on wgr (Why can this station not get the audio levels under control) he is going over all the guys who could go to IR today.  Seems like Baylon Specter could be headed there today to make room.

1 hour ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Perhaps. But he was never going to be above Douglas, Elam, Benford, Ingram, Johnson, or Cam Lewis at this stage. So if they didn't feel like he could contribute (or be a determent to) special teams as CB7, then he was never going to make it. Plus, he's apparently hurt.

I'd love him on the practice squad.

If he’s hurt he can’t be cut. 

Buffalo Bills practice squad tracker: Latest reports, rumors, news (Live tracker)

Players who will reportedly join Bills practice squad if they clear waivers

Wide receiver Tyrell Shavers will join the Bills’ practice squad if he clears waivers, per source. Shavers was one of the few surprise cuts from Tuesday.

Offensive lineman Richard Gouraige will join the Bills’ practice squad if he clears waivers, per source. Gouraige, a 2023 UDFA addition, has played at tackle and guard through two summers in Buffalo. Gouraige had PFF’s second-highest run block grade among all offensive linemen on the roster this summer.

Defensive tackle Branson Deen is expected to join the Bills’ practice squad if he clears waivers, per source. Deen, an undrafted free agent signing from this summer, flashed at summer despite the team being deep at the position.

The Bills want Frank Gore Jr. on their practice squad, per Jordan Schultz. Gore Jr. rushed for over 100 yards in the Bills’ preseason finale.

Bills OL Mike Edwards is expected to join the Bills’ practice squad if he clears waivers, per source. Edwards joined the team as an undrafted free agent out of Campbell.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Buffalo Bills practice squad tracker: Latest reports, rumors, news (Live tracker)

Players who will reportedly join Bills practice squad if they clear waivers

Wide receiver Tyrell Shavers will join the Bills’ practice squad if he clears waivers, per source. Shavers was one of the few surprise cuts from Tuesday.

Offensive lineman Richard Gouraige will join the Bills’ practice squad if he clears waivers, per source. Gouraige, a 2023 UDFA addition, has played at tackle and guard through two summers in Buffalo. Gouraige had PFF’s second-highest run block grade among all offensive linemen on the roster this summer.

Defensive tackle Branson Deen is expected to join the Bills’ practice squad if he clears waivers, per source. Deen, an undrafted free agent signing from this summer, flashed at summer despite the team being deep at the position.

The Bills want Frank Gore Jr. on their practice squad, per Jordan Schultz. Gore Jr. rushed for over 100 yards in the Bills’ preseason finale.

Bills OL Mike Edwards is expected to join the Bills’ practice squad if he clears waivers, per source. Edwards joined the team as an undrafted free agent out of Campbell.

Cool! Mike Edwards and I graduated from the same high school, roughly 25 years apart. Go Tigers!

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Anybody have a good reason as to why we used 1 of our 8 designed to return spots on Darrynton Evans?

Did they not think he'd make it to the PS?  Carrying 4 RB's or holding onto him in case someone gets hurt?

You have 2 at 53 and 6 remainder of the season.  Stash for a few weeks if Codrington Bear doesnt work out he can return kicks. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

I meant Cordington has much better tape this pre season returning punts/kicks than Hardy does. Who knows why they picked Hardy? Maybe they liked his speed and thought he’d make a good returner but his decision making is suspect. Cordington doesn’t have the measureables but he has a good college pedigree with returns and he looked a helluva lot better than Hardy in the 3 preseason games.

Goes without saying I watched all of Hardy’s college games. 

He was the return guy for only 6 games. He’s not real experienced, but I think he can be coached up to make better decisions. 

IMO he was a much better NCB than PR. Very sticky in coverage, good tackler, and good blitzer. 

Im not sure what the deal is with the injury rumors but it seems to have legs. 

Again, IMO, the only way he doesn’t end up on Bills practice squad or 53 is if he’s scooped up by another team. 

26 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

As a cornerback, Hardy would have been #5 on the depth chart behind Douglas, Benford, Elam and Ingram.

Okay. Casey Toohill is the #5 DE on the depth chart. Which of those two players would you rather have? For me it's a no brainer.

27 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

In the slot, he would be #3 on the depth chart behind Johnson and Lewis. 

Cam Lewis has mostly sucked every time he's actually taken the field. For some reason this regime has an attachment to him.

You're probably right that I'm getting too worked up over a depth CB. But isn't that the point of the draft? You take a developmental prospect and coach him up and keep him around if he shows any kind of promise. This team has been devastated by injuries at the CB position the past few years. This is almost certainly Douglas' last year here. It is not a position you can just hand wave away and say eh we'll figure it out. You have to evaluate who is the best talent that you have and keep them around as long as possible, especially on a cost controlled late draft pick rookie contract.

It just blows my mind that McDermott's excuse boils down to "we drafted him to be a punt returner." So for that reason we'll totally ignore what he showed at the position that actually matters and keep Casey Toohill on the roster instead. It is bizarre decision making.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Okay. Casey Toohill is the #5 DE on the depth chart. Which of those two players would you rather have? For me it's a no brainer.

Cam Lewis has mostly sucked every time he's actually taken the field. For some reason this regime has an attachment to him.

You're probably right that I'm getting too worked up over a depth CB. But isn't that the point of the draft? You take a developmental prospect and coach him up and keep him around if he shows any kind of promise. This team has been devastated by injuries at the CB position the past few years. This is almost certainly Douglas' last year here. It is not a position you can just hand wave away and say eh we'll figure it out. You have to evaluate who is the best talent that you have and keep them around as long as possible, especially on a cost controlled late draft pick rookie contract.

It just blows my mind that McDermott's excuse boils down to "we drafted him to be a punt returner." So for that reason we'll totally ignore what he showed at the position that actually matters and keep Casey Toohill on the roster instead. It is bizarre decision making.

Rasul Douglas is in the last year of his deal

Benford will be in a contract year next year

Elam has one year left on his rookie deal and then the 5th year option

Ingram is a guy they've been developing for a few years and will have to decide if he's worth an actual contract in the next few years

They've done a great job, it seems, in building a strong CB room with good, young depth, but it's a premium position and by all accounts Hardy showed a ton of promise.  We're going to need these rookie contract guys more than ever moving forward.  So, to me, it just has to be they weren't as high on him as the reports state... or maybe they view returner as a legit starter position with the new rules.  

Regardless, keeping a JAG vet DE6 over a promising young CB5 is interesting.. to say the least. 

If it helps, Jets fans do think Codrington is a returner stud, but they also say he can't play a lick of defense.  So.. (shrug)

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If you are not starting you have to play special teams.  He is not the return man, with the new kickoff I dont think he plays on any coverage unit.  Gotta have a role on Sundays.  Toohill provides some pash rush ability but imo he is a product of the new kick off.  Start of the play is more natural for edge and bakers.  Years past Shavers is probably on the roster instead of Toohill. 

15 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

If you are not starting you have to play special teams

Yes seemingly special teams is the reason they are keeping a bad veteran DE over a promising young CB. I don't agree with that logic to put it plainly.

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Happy I am not arguing your overall point and based on preseason it looks like they should've kept Hardy, but this is not a correct argument.

Being 5th on the depth chart as DE and CB are not the same  things.

If CB2 goes down, CB3 gets on the field and CB5 is still probably inactive.

If DE2 goes down, DE5 gets on the field and  becomes part of the rotation.

In other words, we need DE5 more than CB5.

I'd still keep Hardy though. Hopefully he gets back on PS.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

Being 5th on the depth chart as DE and CB are not the same  things.

Actually Toohill is #6 on the depth chart behind Solomon I would assume. Either way I won't dispute that it's not a 1:1 comparison between the positions but as far as building the best 53 man roster I won't be convinced that Toohill should be on it and Hardy should be cut.

29 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Rasul Douglas is in the last year of his deal

Benford will be in a contract year next year

Elam has one year left on his rookie deal and then the 5th year option

Ingram is a guy they've been developing for a few years and will have to decide if he's worth an actual contract in the next few years

They've done a great job, it seems, in building a strong CB room with good, young depth, but it's a premium position and by all accounts Hardy showed a ton of promise.  We're going to need these rookie contract guys more than ever moving forward.  So, to me, it just has to be they weren't as high on him as the reports state... or maybe they view returner as a legit starter position with the new rules.  

Regardless, keeping a JAG vet DE6 over a promising young CB5 is interesting.. to say the least. 

If it helps, Jets fans do think Codrington is a returner stud, but they also say he can't play a lick of defense.  So.. (shrug)

I think the bottom line is that they needed a reliable returner and Hardy showed poor decision making in the preseason.  There is no doubt he is a promising player to develop as a CB and hopefully nobody claims him so they can get him on the PS.

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yes seemingly special teams is the reason they are keeping a bad veteran DE over a promising young CB. I don't agree with that logic to put it plainly.

With the new rule changes, it is more important to have better kick coverage than a guy who was reckless (as per coach) with the football on PR

I think the hope is that they can slip Hardy on the PS. We’ll see in a half hour if that is true or not. 

They prob felt that if he wasn’t worth keeping as a PR guy, that he had no spot rn because he’s not good enough  to see the field as a CB 

I would have tried to trade a DB at the deadline to squeeze him in like a Hamlin or Lewis but the S position isn’t settled because of injuries so that would be hard to do. 

I also wonder if they weren’t shy about letting him go because if they do lose him they have another promising DB in Couch that they could get on the PS easier. 

6 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Has anyone heard any practice squad additions or waiver claims yet?

The waiver claim deadline is Noon today.  After that, teams can begin to build practice squads.