Bills cuts

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

I hope you’re right.  His metrics don’t suggest that he’s doing the work himself - not exactly a speedster.  Happy to be wrong about their choices today.

Yeah it's not his speed.

It's his vision and ability to set up blocks (on punt returns).

He was a multi year top returner I'm college.  It's already transitioned to the pre-season. Have no doubt he will play a key role in many games this year

6 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Have you even tried to research Brandon's ability in the return game?  

Brandon is not the CB as Hardy, but it's not a dramatic difference.  We didn't have the next coming of Revis Island.

Brandon will impact every game with his return skills, more so than Hardy would have.

Just wait and see, then come back to own this

To be fair we have no idea how good Hardy can be as a CB given time. No one expected Benford or Dane Jackson to start for us when they were drafted 

39 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

What about D Tackle?  Do you like Carter and Austin Johnson backing up Oliver and Jones?  Can those two really contribute? 

I think it’s a pretty big upgrade over last year. Settle and phillips sucked last year. Carter is a fairly high draft pick who was productive in college and Johnson is an experienced 55 game starter. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

To be fair we have no idea how good Hardy can be as a CB given time. No one expected Benford or Dane Jackson to start for us when they were drafted 

Agree on that.  It's a nice problem to have, with the excellent depth at CB right now.  Having all healthy coming out of preseason, has been challenging in past years.  Hopefully we keep this group healthy for this season.

1 injury, Hardy makes it.  It's a number game.  For those arguing him over Toohill, I'm not sure Toohill lasts long for us.  I think we will looking for a better 10th DL, if not now, then early this season.

Brandon is a clear upgrade in the return game, no future projection needed there.  Not as valuable as a solid corner, but we need a dependable returner now (and Brandon will be more than just dependable).

Hardys decision making and vision in return game, was an unpleasant surprise.  Wish we had a spot for him, but I'm keeping all our depth over him.

I think people put way too much stock into Pre-Season games. I barely pay attention to them these days outside of who is unexpectedly running with 1's (like Andreessen) and who they're protecting, especially in the last game.

Every year people fall in love with play against 3's in the 3rd and 4th Quarters and freak out that they didn't make it. It really doesn't matter how they perform if they're low man in the pecking order numbers wise. What they're seeing in Practice and how they're picking up the playbook weighs more than what they do in a Pre-Season game. There were a ton of people who wanted to cut Shakir in favor of Isabella last season just because he did more against guys who would be on the street in a week.

I just go back to that if they felt Hardy was the stud he's being made out to be - they wouldn't have traded for Codrington. It's silly to look at 10 targets on a late 6th Round Pick against 2's and 3's and act like it's some insane miscarriage of justice that he didn't make it over someone with years of experience in the system.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

I think it’s a pretty big upgrade over last year. Settle and phillips sucked last year. Carter is a fairly high draft pick who was productive in college and Johnson is an experienced 55 game starter. 

On paper, the DT room is a major upgrade over last year.

Oliver hopefully continuing to ascend

Healthy Daquan Jones

Austin Johnson >>> Settle/Phillips

Dewayne Carter high ceiling 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Should have kept Hardy who was a really good player. Injuries happen and nothing wrong with solid depth. 

This for me is a surprise move.  I was really impressed by him both the first 2 preseason games and he reportedly did well in camp as well.  I watched the All-22 and he was impressive those 2 games (did not watch it on the final preseason game). 

I guess there is talk of some injury related to it, but does anyone know if there is a confirmed injury?  I guess that would make more sense if so, but I hope he is either brought back after other maneuvers or at least makes it onto the PS.  

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Allen2Coleman said:

If true, Too much power for someone who should be let go if he doesn’t perform this season IMO. 

I agree, I’m fine moving on from him. The owners love and trust him so barring another 13 second coaching debacle, he’s going nowhere anytime soon, and even that might not move the needle enough for Terry to show him the door.

Edited by julian

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I played second row behind a prop who NEVER washed his practice gear. I’m not even sure if he washed it BETWEEN seasons. Get that ripe stuff warmed up and you could gag a maggot! 

I apologize, I’ll go vomit at the thought now. 

I hear ya. Was real nice when a night of drinking meant their bowels weren’t fully in control. Ah the good times. Luckily there were good parties. 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I mean...even the 2019 Bills -- whose roster seemed irrefutably worse than this year's roster -- won 10 games and made the playoffs. That was with a second year Josh Allen. 

The Bills haven't won single digit games since Allen's rookie year.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I hope no one changed their W-L outlook based on who the Bills waived/released today. In fact I am sure no team's odds changed based on who was released today. The only caveat would be if there was a key player that was placed on season-ending IR that wasn't expected and I don't think that happened league-wide.

The bottom of the roster (#49-53) churns all throughout the season for every team. It's necessary with injuries but what happens at the top of the roster that impacts how a team does, not who is the 6th WR or whether a team keeps 6 edge rushers or 5 vs. 10 DBs vs. 11.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Yeah it's not his speed.

It's his vision and ability to set up blocks (on punt returns).

He was a multi year top returner I'm college.  It's already transitioned to the pre-season. Have no doubt he will play a key role in many games this year

Again the Jets literally directed him to us - they made sure we could have him, for basically free, and that no other team would have a chance to get him.  And the Bills’ special teams decision making during this regime has been a disaster, whether because of bad luck (Ariza, Hines) or moronic roster management.  Maybe you’re right and he takes over the league as a returner this year but Hardy can straight up ball on defense.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Forget his kick returning. He looked great playing outside CB. Showed a real knack for zone transitions and got his hands on a lot of passes. Now I'll admit I did not happen to dive into Brandon Codrington film so maybe he's shown out too, but our own draft pick that we've spent the offseason developing performs as well as he has at a premium position and we just toss him to the curb? I am not one to get hung up on roster cuts but this one makes zero sense to me.

He did not look “great”.  He looked adequate to good against bottom of the roster competition.  He was never going to make this team as a CB this year.  The talent ahead of him was much better.  He looked decent as a returner.  I think Marinos  report that he is injured is likely true thus the Bills had to fill the hole that Hardy probably would have filled.  Maybe he comes back to the practice squad, depending on the nature of the injury.  

• Like (+1) 2