Bills cuts

11 minutes ago, Process said:

We are talking about a 6th round pick and CB5 on the team. I think you are being a little dramatic man. 

I'll drop it because I don't want to take over the entire thread. The last thing I'll say is that I really am not the type to ever get worked up over roster cuts. While others have been freaking out over Gore or Andreessen possibly being claimed by another team, I don't worry about that at all. This one is just so out of the blue and against all rationale that I can't begin to understand it. Hardy to my eyes has looked great and has inside/outside flexibility. Not just to my eyes either, anyone who's watched Bills preseason film has agreed that he has been a bright spot in every game.

Fingers crossed he makes it through waivers because of the injury and we get him back on the PS. But I will die on the hill that it is a risk not worth taking.

• Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Damn I wanted Cain to make it. Hardy being cut is the only thing that makes that absurd Jet trade look sensible 

We should remember that this board (myself included) thinks that cutting Harty and keeping Toohill was a mistake. Let's revisit the move later in the year. I've long suspected that the consensus view here turns out to be right a lot more than it's wrong.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

One more thing which confuses me.

People talking about Hardy being possibly injured, but if he is injured, is it possible to cut him?

If yes, why didn't we cut Buechele, Burgess and Delaney and have them on Injured Reserve with their cap hits counted against cap space?

Possible injury settlement OR its not deemed serious enough...all speculation by Joe Marino right now.  We will get more details.

No shockers outside of Hardy who by all accounts was playing well in camp and looked good to the amateur eye in pre-season. The Bills did sure up the kick returning game with Codrington via a trade with the Jets. Only other real notables were Shorter (man what a waste of a somewhat early 5th round pick, one year on IR then cut his second season), L.Collins (writing on the wall wasn't playing well but still a notable vet reclamation project cut), Gore Jr (team was just set at RB will be on the PS if unclaimed), Davidson (same situation as Gore Jr), and Kinglsey Jonathan (hung around a bit on the roster had a chance to make the 53).

Not much else to be surprised by. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

That’s ridiculous.  There should be about a dozen D-lineman released from other teams today who would be an upgrade

McD just HAS to HAVE that DL rotation!

• Angry 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I'll drop it because I don't want to take over the entire thread. The last thing I'll say is that I really am not the type to ever get worked up over roster cuts. While others have been freaking out over Gore or Andreessen possibly being claimed by another team, I don't worry about that at all. This one is just so out of the blue and against all rationale that I can't begin to understand it. Hardy to my eyes has looked great and has inside/outside flexibility. Not just to my eyes either, anyone who's watched Bills preseason film has agreed that he has been a bright spot in every game.

Fingers crossed he makes it through waivers because of the injury and we get him back on the PS. But I will die on the hill that it is a risk not worth taking.

Again, you have to acknowledge that Hardy doesn't see the field unless 3 guys go down at CB.

Ingram, Elam, Lewis...all ahead of him.  

Now if you want to say Hardy should be kept over either of those 3, that should be your gripe.  But I'd find that hard to believe.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, finn said:

We should remember that this board (myself included) thinks that cutting Harty and keeping Toohill was a mistake. Let's revisit the move later in the year. I've long suspected that the consensus view here turns out to be right a lot more than it's wrong.

Nah I’m good with it. I knew Toohill was going to make it. This is a business. That guy was making it as soon as he was signed 

• Agree 1

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

Now if you want to say Hardy should be kept over either of those 3, that should be your gripe.  But I'd find that hard to believe.  

Wow I forgot that Cam Lewis made the roster. Yes that makes my decision even easier. Absolutely I would keep Hardy over him based on what I've seen. No question.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't buy this excuse. I would rather just keep 7 DBs instead of keeping Toohill as the 10th DL. Hardy >>>>>>>> Toohill. The numbers game is meaningless when faced with that simple fact.

I mean they could have just IR'd him if they didn't want to keep him on the initial roster. Ah but no we had to use that spot on our RB4.

This is the capstone on a very perplexing offseason IMO.

Are you that upset because they didn't keep Hardy?  He flashed some ability.  But we are loaded at corner.  I would have kept McKitty over Toohill.  He had some juice catching and with YAC.  I would have also tried to keep Dion Cain.  He had some burst also.  What about D Tackle?  Do you like Carter and Austin Johnson backing up Oliver and Jones?  Can those two really contribute?  Rousseau is the key to the d line.  Needs to be an unstoppable force.  Otherwise pretty meh.  Toohill or not.

The only thing I can think of when it comes to keeping Evans is they were going to keep him over Johnson as the RB# 3 until he got hurt. 

From last year it does seem to be that Brady likes utilizing his backs in pass routes so maybe in that regard Evans is a better fit that Johnson be maybe you see some of these RBs in a tight slot or F position during the season, Splitbacks etc. 

It’s obvious Hardy is seriously injured but did they not like him enough to IR him for the season? That’s where I’m miffed on that one. 

Morris and Trubisky must only need a week or two or he’s good to go not to IR them. 

If we were planning on keeping Toohill I’d be interested to see who’s out on waivers. I had mentioned Viliami Fehoko but don’t think he makes it down to our waiver position. 

I don’t know if this roster is entirely settled at the moment and expect a few call ups to cover injury risk against the Cards 

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Except Pegula and Beane have both said publicly that the final call on the 53 is Beane's and I have spoken to two people who worked in that building, one a coach, on a personnel guy and both said the same - Beane takes the calls, no doubt about it. Do I believe he and McDermott are almost always aligned? Sure. But the accountability for the 53 is on the GM.

People can think what they like but they are making up narratives in their heads.

Nobody would argue that the accountability will always fall on the shoulders of the guy with the GM title, the point some are making is McDermott has as much input on his roster as any coach in the league and it’s a substantial amount of input to the point of veto power IMO.

Bean isn’t adding a single draft pick or player of standing that McDermott isn’t giving the ok.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, julian said:

Nobody would argue that the accountability will always fall on the shoulders of the guy with the GM title, the point some are making is McDermott has as much input on his roster as any coach in the league and it’s a substantial amount of input to the point of veto power IMO.

Bean isn’t adding a single draft pick or player of standing that McDermott isn’t giving the ok.

If true, Too much power for someone who should be let go if he doesn’t perform this season IMO. 

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

If I'm not mistaken, a cut player has to be signed to another team's 53 man roster.  If so and if Hardy is injured, I can't see anyone doing that.

I agree, which is why I think some cutdown day chess might be in play with Hardy. Hopefully, he is brought back after a corresponding move.

11 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Again, you have to acknowledge that Hardy doesn't see the field unless 3 guys go down at CB.

He should’ve been kept over the scrub they traded for today.  Who also won’t see the field at CB.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wow I forgot that Cam Lewis made the roster. Yes that makes my decision even easier. Absolutely I would keep Hardy over him based on what I've seen. No question.

Cam brings more S/T value, and flexibility.  

Cam is a extremely valuable backup on gamedays, just due to that fact.

Again, I'm a huge advocate for Hardy.  Local kid to me, great toughness/attitude/etc.

Brandon is a similar gritty type, BTW and much better returner.   Can't wait until he breaks a long return this season.

If Hardy didn't disappoint as a return man, we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Cam is a coaching staff favorite, and he'd be difficult to unseat given our current safety injuries.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, balln said:

McD just HAS to HAVE that DL rotation!

20 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

That’s ridiculous.  There should be about a dozen D-lineman released from other teams today who would be an upgrade

If that is true than Beane will try and get one. He can’t get one before they’re released. 

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He should’ve been kept over the scrub they traded for today.  Who also won’t see the field at CB.

Have you even tried to research Brandon's ability in the return game?  

Brandon is not the CB as Hardy, but it's not a dramatic difference.  We didn't have the next coming of Revis Island.

Brandon will impact every game with his return skills, more so than Hardy would have.

Just wait and see, then come back to own this

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Have you even tried to research Brandon's ability in the return game?  

Brandon is not the CB as Hardy, but it's not a dramatic difference.  We didn't have the next coming of Revis Island.

Brandon will impact every game with his return skills, more so than Hardy would have.

Just wait and see, then come back to own this

I hope you’re right.  His metrics don’t suggest that he’s doing the work himself - not exactly a speedster.  Happy to be wrong about their choices today.  Also I find it hard to believe the Jets are just giving away an elite returner to a division rival.  Literally they’d be better off cutting him and taking the chance he signs elsewhere if he’s some kind of phenom.

Edited by Coach Tuesday