Bills cuts

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Interesting.  It's guys like Shavers that are hyped up in camp and then when he gets cut everyone is triggered.  But the reality is, the 6th receiver or whatever are not gonna be the difference between the Bills getting to the playoffs or not.  There are WR's getting released today across the league who are better than Shavers.

It's funny a guy like Shavers it seems one media guy starts tweeting about him and then a bunch of others follow suit and a narrrative spreads.  The truth is watching practices every player has good and bad reps - and sometimes media guys seem to just concentrate on the good (or bad) for a particular player which fits the narrative (see McGovern 'bad snaps' narrative early in camp).  I went to two practices right after pads went on and Hamler jumped right out to me among all the WRs - was winning all his battles and catching everything.  And there were tweets from the media those days talking about Shavers (who I barely noticed doing anything) and not one mention of Hamler

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NeverOutNick said:

I’m confused does this mean he’s cut?

I took the marathon continues as he is on the team.  I am probably wrong.   

Like most nfl players they can not say what they mean.

1 hour ago, Bruffalo said:

Narrator:  "It wasn't" 

No offense to the Bills Media or anything here but this happens every year.  Our bottom talent guys aren't going to suddenly become meaningful players because they went through another Bills training camp. The guys that elevate themselves from their status are like 1/100, you maybe see 10 across the entire NFL each year.  

The odds are certainly against them, but the Bills have proven every year that guys on the PS get an opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if Shavers and Shorter (and maybe X Johnson), assuming they make it back on the PS, have first dibs on competing for the Mack Hollins role next year with Mack on a 1 year deal

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm fine with them bringing in Tim Patrick if that's what they wanna do and if it's for a conditional future 7th or something, but...

I don't necessarily think he's any better than MVS or Hollins.

Tim Patrick's career high in single season receiving yardage is 742. That was four years ago. He hasn't played football since 2021 and he's 30 years old.

By comparison, MVS's career high single season receiving yardage is 690. Hollins' is also 690. But both of those guys, at least, played the past two seasons and already know the Bills' playbook.

I'm team "bring in more WR help" all day long, but Tim Patrick...I dunno what he would really be adding to this team.

Big difference in QBs and offenses.  Living in Colorado I see a lot of Broncos games.  Tim Patrick was a decent WR3 who had a knack

for finding the endzone.  11 TDs in 2020 and 2021.  The injuries are for sure a concern.

IMO FWIW.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I know it is completely irrelevant, but can somebody explain to me what is to point of saying "per source" at the end of this tweet (and not just this tweet)?

I mean if she doesn't say specific source than what is the point? It is clear that she is not stating her opinion.

I am just wondering if this has some special meaning unknown to me (some kind of legal protection or so), or it is redundant nonsense as I suspect.

I think she's just letting us know that this wasn't officially announced by the Bills.  

If the Bills say they cut someone, they're cut.  If a "source" says they cut someone, there remains a chance the source is wrong.

8 minutes ago, BillsFooteball said:

Assuming Collins tweet is that he got cut. I know it’s nice to have veteran but he looked terrible and just think he’s done. Good move 

One practice I went to, after he came out of the tunnel he started to "jog" to his position group and was barely able to move - dude's knee looked totally jacked up just trying to do that

If Hardy is hurt, don’t be surprised if he is IR designated to return. The Bills have never kept 11 DBs before and I thought a trade made sense but this buys them time in that regard. That opens up the Ferguson release and resign option.

If this happens Hamler makes it as the 6th WR. 

Think Collins being cut means we either go with 9 OL or Gouriage made it as 10. 

I expect the Bills to sign a QB that is a vet after cuts 

• Like (+1) 4

42 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Shavers got manhandled as a gunner on the one play they highlighted him....

Fans are obsessed with 5th 6th and 7th WR who might be "weapons"

If they sign him after week 1 his salary would not be guaranteed, as a vested vet it would be guaranteed if he is on the roster week 1...........

Back when I was in college (before the social media, internet, microwaves, or stone tools), I couldn't even name the Bills entire starting lineup.  Now I care about the 5th and 6th WR, even knowing that they are not "weapons" and that the choice of the final receiver slot isn't likely to effect our W-L record in the slightest.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Big difference in QBs and offenses.  Living in Colorado I see a lot of Broncos games.  Tim Patrick was a decent WR3 who had a knack

for finding the endzone.  11 TDs in 2020 and 2021.  The injuries are for sure a concern.

IMO FWIW.

Fair enough.

I still wonder this: He hasn't played football since 2021 and is now 30 years old and coming off a slew of season ending injuries.

Why is it that the Broncos -- no paragons of exciting WR depth themselves -- want to trade him away?

If the Broncos deem all of Courtland Sutton, Josh Reynolds, Marvin Mims, and rookie DeVaughn Vele to be better than Patrick, well...that's kind of a telling assessment of his ability to contribute meaningfully on offense, IMO.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2