Bills cuts

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

The only way Andreessen is safe is if they decide to keep him as a 6th LB or if they are going to keep him over Ulofoshio which I have a hard time believing since he was a draft pick.

Ulofoshio is played at OLB. Andreessen was played at MLB. So it won't come down to those two. 

At OLB, we just have Dorian Williams and Edefuan Ulofoshio. Which is kinda scary. So Ulofoshio isn't going anywhere.

What it's ultimately going to come down to, if it's an either or situation, is him vs. Morrow or him vs. Spector, if he isn't going to PUP him and they're only keeping 5.

Right now, I think he's probably safe as with Spector injured and Jones released, we only have 5 healthy LB's and that's the minimum we keep.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

9 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Then why not announce all the cuts and give them all the same opportunity?  Is it basically these guy suck the worst and they don’t plan to PS them?

I think for some players it is that there are others above them and they were easy cuts to identify and no they will not be making the PS.  

Sometimes you make these moves to sneak a guy through as teams can’t act on the waived guys until people clear waivers on final cutdown day - so sometimes these guys get hidden early on while teams are still focusing on their roster.

Sometimes it is proximity- these guys were around and the Bills talked to the player and the agent allowing them to be amongst the first - there may be other guys that they just have not gotten to talk to everyone and will get to them tomorrow.

Beane has stated he likes to meet with each player and answer questions and give feedback - so my guess is it is not a quick in and out and he gets to guys as he gets to them.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

No Bass yet, I see.

How long do you have?

43 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I still remember the day they said he wasn’t at OTAs and I said “who?”

Good times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, LEBills said:

yea the obvious thing if they want to IR a third player is to cut Reid Furgeson (2500 dollar cap hit) have the player make the roster, then IR and resign Ferguson. So Milano and Morris out of the gate probably, then if they wanted to they could IR MVS or Spector. 

The problem is if you IR a 3rd person it’s for the season. That’s typically why they’ve IRd young guys. 

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Ulofoshio is played at OLB. Andreessen was played at MLB. So it won't come down to those two. 

At OLB, we just have Dorian Williams and Edefuan Ulofoshio. Which is kinda scary. So Ulofoshio isn't going anywhere.

What it's ultimately going to come down to, if it's an either or situation, is him vs. Morrow or him vs. Spector, if he isn't going to PUP him and they're only keeping 5.

Right now, I think he's probably safe as with Spector injured and Jones released, we only have 5 healthy LB's and that's the minimum we keep.

Last year we also kept 6 LBers, if we opt for that then our guys are set. Andressen spent the last 3 weeks calling the defense when it counted, that means something. They could’ve had Deion Jones do it, who has MLB experience.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We don’t even know if Spector is going to be out for the beginning of the season. Morrow would be the backup MLB. If for whatever reason Spector goes to IR I expect them to bring on a vet from another roster 

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Deion Jones has been awful that is not surprising and I don’t think it’s an indicator that Andreessen is being kept

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. It increases the odds. But it isn't guarantee. Jones was an EASY cut IMO. He sucks.

Jones has seemed fine to me. I think he would be good depth. But I think Andreessen has a higher upside. If it came down between the two of them, I'd choose Andreessen.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The problem is if you IR a 3rd person it’s for the season. That’s typically why they’ve IRd young guys. 

I thought if they made the final 53 you could IR them and designate them to return. If not then maybe they do that for Frank Gore Jr if they think he will be picked up off waivers and want to keep him

31 minutes ago, LEBills said:

yea the obvious thing if they want to IR a third player is to cut Reid Furgeson (2500 dollar cap hit) have the player make the roster, then IR and resign Ferguson. So Milano and Morris out of the gate probably, then if they wanted to they could IR MVS or Spector. 

Furgeson is likely expecting it and agent talked to team about it.

19 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I thought if they made the final 53 you could IR them and designate them to return. If not then maybe they do that for Frank Gore Jr if they think he will be picked up off waivers and want to keep him

So it appears you’re right after looking at the verbiage but I wouldn’t expect MVS to want to do that. Maybe Morris would , I would think Spector they wouldn’t want to do. I also wonder out loud how much if they did IR a Spector or Morris for the year how that affects their years of service and Free Agency purposes. Might not at all but curious is all especially since Morris was undrafted 

I had Jones making the squad in most of my projections, but then I realized today that his dead cap was zero if cut while Morrow’s was 750K.  That zero dead cap made Jones expendable if he didn’t dominate in camp, which he didn’t.  It will be interesting to see if he becomes one of the 6 vets they sign to the PS. 

One other note about Andreessen vs Ulofoshio.  Andreessen’s dead cap if cut is $2500, while Ulofoshio’s is 314K.  The Bills are pinching pennies this year.  If someone isn’t head and shoulders above another depth player, the Bills are probably cutting the guy with the smallest dead cap.

Edited by GASabresIUFan

46 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Only if it's before the season.  If you cut Reid Ferguson (as another poster suggested), or only keep 1 QB as I mentioned, and then wait until cutdowns are complete, you can then put another player on IR for return.  Say, for example, they have Trubisky and Edwards listed as the two who are eligible to return but not on the 53 man roster.  They "cut" Reid Ferguson and keep Spector on the roster.  Then, later this week, they put Ferguson on IR for return and re-sign Ferguson.  Spector would have agreed to do this and to re-sign before they even cut him.  They have a total of 8 IR for returns for the whole year (including the pre-cutdown ones).  So, in the above scenario they would be down to 5 left for the rest of the year.

2 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Only if it's before the season.  If you cut Reid Ferguson (as another poster suggested), or only keep 1 QB as I mentioned, and then wait until cutdowns are complete, you can then put another player on IR for return.  Say, for example, they have Trubisky and Edwards listed as the two who are eligible to return but not on the 53 man roster.  They "cut" Reid Ferguson and keep Spector on the roster.  Then, later this week, they put Ferguson on IR for return and re-sign Ferguson.  Spector would have agreed to do this and to re-sign before they even cut him.  They have a total of 8 IR for returns for the whole year (including the pre-cutdown ones).  So, in the above scenario they would be down to 5 left for the rest of the year.

Yup I got ya I read through the verbiage and admitted I was wrong unlike in years past where there was no 2 IR return spots hence IR ing a young guy before the season to protect losing them

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Yup I got ya I read through the verbiage and admitted I was wrong unlike in years past where there was no 2 IR return spots hence IR ing a young guy before the season to protect losing them

Yeah, I typed that before I saw you made the correction.  I think what is confusing is that there is the new rule (can IR two before cut-down) but still the old rule (can IR for return up to 8 during the year).