MIKE WHITE

DC Grid

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Mike White has a losing record, but another should consider himself as a backup now in Tannehill.  MT has a a slight winning record, and is still mobile at 36.  Given his age, he should be amenable to a reasonable contract and the pipe dream of him starting again is just a pipe dream.

Tannehill is looking at the Flacco move last year. Wait until Watson decides hes played enough this year, then join the Browns late, throw a bunch of picks, win comeback player of the year then get destroyed in the playoffs

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

The only reason they keep Tribusky is him knowing playbook and won't make waves in the locker room since him and Allen are close. Personally I would bring in someone else but if they decide to keep Tribusky. Go with younger player on the practice squad who could potentially be the back up in 2025. Front Office needs to stop wasting cap dollars on the back up QB position by targeting veteran players. Go with youth and potentially upside instead.

24 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

The only reason they keep Tribusky is him knowing playbook and won't make waves in the locker room since him and Allen are close. Personally I would bring in someone else but if they decide to keep Tribusky. Go with younger player on the practice squad who could potentially be the back up in 2025. Front Office needs to stop wasting cap dollars on the back up QB position by targeting veteran players. Go with youth and potentially upside instead.

I think people seriously undervalue the relationships in the QB room and the value of having a guy with experience starting, seeing lots of different coverages, blitzes ect in live action. There are plenty of examples of guys having tons of starting experience backing up established starters. David Carr has two Super Bowl rings for example backing Eli for years and years

The Chiefs have had the following guys as their backups in recent years

Carson Wentz

Blaine Gabbert

Chad Henne

Matt Moore

See a pattern? All of those guys we would be worried about if they had to play. All were failed starters. Hell Wentz has gotten several coaches fired because hes been so bad 

• Like (+1) 1

A very lackluster to poor preseason at best however he did show good ability to get sacked.  Sure that’s a great signing smh.  I’d rather have DiNucci or that A. Brown guy.

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

A very lackluster to poor preseason at best however he did show good ability to get sacked.  Sure that’s a great signing smh.  I’d rather have DiNucci or that A. Brown guy.

You’re splitting hairs. Of course he’s not good. If he was, he’d be starting for the Raiders. 

On 8/26/2024 at 9:03 PM, Captain Hindsight said:

I think people seriously undervalue the relationships in the QB room and the value of having a guy with experience starting, seeing lots of different coverages, blitzes ect in live action. There are plenty of examples of guys having tons of starting experience backing up established starters. David Carr has two Super Bowl rings for example backing Eli for years and years

The Chiefs have had the following guys as their backups in recent years

Carson Wentz

Blaine Gabbert

Chad Henne

Matt Moore

See a pattern? All of those guys we would be worried about if they had to play. All were failed starters. Hell Wentz has gotten several coaches fired because hes been so bad 

Henne and Moore fit the classic backup mould a little more - kinda the way Case Keenum did here too. Sure, he had been a starter in the league but he'd never been drafted to be a franchise QB - indeed Moore and Keenum were never drafted at all. Mike White belongs in that camp. Wentz and Gabbert are failed top 10 picks. That is a different category IMO and Trubisky falls in that bucket. It isn't to say one is necessarily better than the other but, generally, the classic backup bucket are guys with more physical limitations but good understanding, command of the offense etc and the failed former top 10 pick types have a bit more physical talent but are inconsistent or struggle with the mental side in terms of processing quickly etc. 

But all backups are backups for a reason and how many times have we seen teams over the years take a decent backup and try to make them a starter - Fitz and Tyrod here, Keenum with Denver, Hoyer with the Texans, Bridgewater (I know he was a first round pick originally but a backup after the injury) in Carolina.... it never works in the longer term. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

He was signed to the PS so that he could run the scout team to prep for the Dolphins. 

I like him more than Trubisky (that's not saying much after his preseason), but I'll be surprised if he dethrones Mitch for the backup role permanently. 

4 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

He was signed to the PS so that he could run the scout team to prep for the Dolphins. 

I like him more than Trubisky (that's not saying much after his preseason), but I'll be surprised if he dethrones Mitch for the backup role permanently. 

he won't. they have too much invested in Trubisky me thinks.

Trubisky to a two-year deal. According to NFL Media, the deal is for $5.25 million and worth up to $8.45 million for the veteran signal-caller. He is guaranteed $2.7 million this season.

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

he won't. they have too much invested in Trubisky me thinks.

Trubisky to a two-year deal. According to NFL Media, the deal is for $5.25 million and worth up to $8.45 million for the veteran signal-caller. He is guaranteed $2.7 million this season.

Yeah but cutting him is like a mil in dead cap or something. I don't think that'll be the determining factor but the Bills like him a lot more than the fans.