MIKE WHITE

DC Grid

Was just creating this same post, I'll just put it here, you beat me to the punch.

Per schefter, Miami is releasing White to keep Thompson as their #2.

Sign him to be #2 and move on from the Trubisky experiment. White has way more upside and development potential than Mitchell who is a known quantity... And it ain't much. Where white showed some great flashes in NY in relief.

White is a former 5th round pick of the cowboys, played for NY Jests in 2021 & 2022 and has been on Miami for 1 season.

With the Jests in 21 and 22, he has 7 starts, 191 completions in 307 attempts for 62.2%, 2145 yards, 8 TDs to 12 INTs

1 comeback drive 1 game winning drive.

StrengthsArm talent is the first thing you notice. Former high school pitcher with 90 MPH fastball who can crank up that heat when he needs to. Has good drive accuracy. Able to push the ball into tight windows. Has velocity and accuracy to attack the middle of the field. Can alternate between heat and touch. Throws catchable deep ball and has ability to drop it over a cornerback's head down the sideline. Can be dangerous from the pocket when he's protected. Completed 57 percent of his deep throws when protection was better in 2016. Resets feet before throwing when he leaves the pocket. Asked to make full-field reads at times.

Weaknesses

Heavy feet take time to set up in the pocket. Struggled to deal with poor protection. Lacks feel for pressure off the edges and drops his eyes when he sees pocket push. Pocket mobility is poor. Was responsible for his share of the 46 sacks. Sluggish processor when initial reads are covered. Stayed on covered targets rather than finding better options. Relies too heavily on arm over anticipation. Looks lethargic when trying to roll and throw. Fumbled 12 times this year and 17 times over two seasons.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I know Mitch looked awful in pre-season (but I don't put much stock into that) but I really don't see White or any of the viable attainable vet backup QB's being better than Mitch. Mitch has a lot of experience under his belt and while his stats are better than his performance I don't think he's that bad as a backup. 

I would like to see the NFL allow a 54th protected roster spot for a 3rd string QB. I think the 53 man roster with 6 mandatory inactive players already stretches teams depth so thin that teams don't even carry a third string QB anymore. The third string QB was a spot where teams would actually be able to develop a young player but now because roster spots are so valuable teams just carry one backup and call it a day and instead of having 3 QB's plus a PS QB they just put the third string guy on the PS. 

It would be nice for the Bills to draft a player in rounds 5-7 and keep him for 2-3 years and actually have someone another team could trade for or hold down the backup spot for a couple of seasons. I think the lack of true third string QB's is hurting NFL QB quality. There's 20-25 less QB's on NFL rosters/Practice Squads. That's less players developing at the position and less of a pipeline into QB coaching and other aspects that improve QB play.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've read somewhere that both of the Dolphin backups have struggled badly this Summer ... Pass for me.

If JA17 goes down, the Bills Offense becomes a run first Offense and all they'll need is someone who can hand it off, run it, and can be quick and accurate on short passes.

33 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I’d be calling the Broncos and see what it would take to trade for Zach Wilson.

Only if the Broncos are willing to give us their 1st round pick to take Wilson off their hands.  I'd rather have Wilson the soccer ball than Zach Wilson.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2