Based on current roster situation, predict top 3 positions to be selected in the 2025 draft…

JaCrispy

Just some fun food for thought, and as a Bills fan, it’s never too soon…😉

With Miller likely gone after this season, I’m thinking the Bills go DE in the 1st round to place opposite Rousseau…It’s a premium position to get good value…👍

With our first 2nd round pick, and Brown’s contract expiring, I could see the Bills going OT here, if they decide his asking price is too much…Again, great value with a pick that will likely be in the top half of the round…

With our second 2nd round pick, it was a little trickier…I could see the Bills going in a few different directions…

-First, depending how Milano, and how the rest of the LBs pan out, I could see that position being prioritized…

-Second,  the same goes for WR…I feel like a broken record, but I still think we need more speed…Stay tuned…

-Third, my dark horse position is DT, if the Bills really wanted to solidly the line…

What are your thoughts?

Edited by JaCrispy

• JaCrispy changed the title to Based on current roster situation, predict top 3 positions to be selected in the 2025 draft…

Defensive end or wide receiver.

Then it will depend on spencer brown's situation if they take a tackle or not.  

I also think the secondary is going to get remade in the next two drafts.  Corner and safety.

• Like (+1) 1

WR - I think this is going to be a sore spot all season depth and impact is needed here so I think they are going to go with a WR with their first selection.

RT- IF (and this is a big if) Spencer Brown walks in free agency I can also see a high pick invested to replace him. 

DE- AJE going into 2025 is going to be on his last year, Groot even if he's locked up (which I think they will take care of him) is only one player locked in long term, and Von is ancient by NFL standards so a premium pick is likely going to be invested into the DE position. 

If safety is an issue I think they address that via free agency. CB is somewhere I think they address later on for depth.  

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

WR - I think this is going to be a sore spot all season depth and impact is needed here so I think they are going to go with a WR with their first selection.

RT- IF (and this is a big if) Spencer Brown walks in free agency I can also see a high pick invested to replace him. 

DE- AJE going into 2025 is going to be on his last year, Groot even if he's locked up (which I think they will take care of him) is only one player locked in long term, and Von is ancient by NFL standards so a premium pick is likely going to be invested into the DE position. 

If safety is an issue I think they address that via free agency. CB is somewhere I think they address later on for depth.  

I would love to see them go this direction…But it’s hard to see defensive minded McD going offensive receiver with the first pick 3 years in a row…

• Like (+1) 1

LB will be in there because they’ll be worried about the injuries to Milano. I’d think DE, DT or WR as well.

if the wideouts struggle this season there will be massive pressure on Beane to grab one early. Could actually see him packaging the first on one of the seconds to move up for one of the top ones

in no particular order, 

1st level Priority: 
DE, WR, DT, always O-line, S,  we appear to be up to our ears in RBs  we are presently fine with TEs 

2nd level priority:

field goal kicker, backup QB, (Mitch plays scared, and at some point in the future, and I hate to say this, we will need a guy who can actually play the position) 

I likely have missed some other position that needs attention, but that’s not my problem, 😁🍸🚬

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I would love to see them go this direction…But it’s hard to see defensive minded McD going offensive receiver with the first pick 3 years in a row…

McD has course corrected with back to back years drafting offense with 3 out of 4 top picks (and the other pick being a pick of strong defensive need) I think he is not going to be afraid to draft a top offensive player again. The Bills have drafted pretty balanced since 2022 leaning slightly more towards the offense. 

What's going to be interesting to me is how do they spend their cap space in 2025? The Bills likely are going to have some space to play with. The Bills will enter the off-season with about 23 million in space but that doesn't factor in the money they can free up by cutting Von (8 million in savings or 15.8 if they did a June 1st cut but that would push 7.5 million into 2026) or reworking Von's deal (which if he has a solid season let's say 7 or more sacks and looks like a decent to good player I think they will work something out) along with restructuring Josh and a few other players deals. 

The Bills after addressing Von and doing some basic restructuring will probably give them roughly 40-60 million in space and the only major consequential free agents are Spencer Brown and Douglas. If they so choose they can easily take care of those players and sign the smaller vet depth players that will be free agents (Ty Johnson, Hamlin, Smoot, A.Johnson, Collins, Q.Morris, Hollins, etc) and still have some sizable space to actually "work with". Let's say you have 50 million in space and you spend 25 million taking care of Douglas, Brown, and some but not all of the smaller players. That's going to leave you with 25 million in space. Take out 12.5 million for rookie pool, practice squad, and in-season funds and you have about 12.5 million you can get aggressive with. 

If you have some actual space to play with where do you go with that? I think addressing a defensive need or two and then focusing the draft on offense makes more sense. If there's a big need at safety you can cheaply find a top safety in the market for 7ish million. If there's a need for some LB or D-line depth you can get that for 5ish million. Then in the draft go and be aggressive to get 2-3 really good impact "plug and play" players to keep the offense fully stocked around Josh.

Coming into this year’s draft, the top needs were WR and then DE.  Coming out of the draft, it was DE and then WR.  Those almost have to be the top two picks next year.  After that, it could be just about anything.  CB seems the most likely, as Douglas will be 31 when the 2025 season starts.

With where receiver salaries are going I could see the Bills (and lots of other teams) just pick one in the top three rounds quite often.   Obviously, next year can go a lot of different ways.  WR in the first three rounds no matter what.  If Bishop, Solomon and Carter make impacts do we need to go there right away?  Brown’s replacement is already on the team.

Think WR is near the top of list.  I was against drafting two this past year as rookies need a lot of TLC and having two rookies in one year, IMO would  stunt their growth.  Coleman now has one year under belt, draft another and extend likely Shakir.

Could also see LB and DE near the top to depends on what happens with Milano and how AJE plays.

I kind of agree that if Brown walks, replacement may be in house.