Birch Beer - anyone else drink it?

Saxum

Pepsi was drank by my mother (glass bottles) but we were supposed to drink it although occasionally sometimes some was taken or leftover from a party.

I never liked it preferring coke when it was available

I can remember drinking birch beer at one of my family trip to visit relatives i(father side) n Titusville PA.  I do not remember any of my brothers or sisters drinking it.

I college I drank Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, Fanta and ginger ale.   I stopped Mountain Dew post-college; switched Dr. Pepper to Diet  Dr. Pepper when I was increasing in weight.

Dr. Pepper starting tasting odd and it was not just the artificial sugar - tried w/o artificial sugar and still tasted odd.  I was left with Ginger Ale and Sunkist to drink until I noticed Diet Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer being sold at Supermarket I was shopping in.  They never carried very many bottles and every time It was on sale I'd buy all bottles available.

image.png.c9577c1f3a24bbd564b971571e9d61e7.png

It seems to be an acquired taste although I liked it first time I drank it.

1 hour ago, Punching Bag said:

Pepsi was drank by my mother (glass bottles) but we were supposed to drink it although occasionally sometimes some was taken or leftover from a party.

I never liked it preferring coke when it was available

I can remember drinking birch beer at one of my family trip to visit relatives i(father side) n Titusville PA.  I do not remember any of my brothers or sisters drinking it.

I college I drank Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, Fanta and ginger ale.   I stopped Mountain Dew post-college; switched Dr. Pepper to Diet  Dr. Pepper when I was increasing in weight.

Dr. Pepper starting tasting odd and it was not just the artificial sugar - tried w/o artificial sugar and still tasted odd.  I was left with Ginger Ale and Sunkist to drink until I noticed Diet Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer being sold at Supermarket I was shopping in.  They never carried very many bottles and every time It was on sale I'd buy all bottles available.

image.png.c9577c1f3a24bbd564b971571e9d61e7.png

It seems to be an acquired taste although I liked it first time I drank it.

I think a thread title is supposed to ask if anyone else is losing interest in something.   

Root beer and birch beer were both common in Buffalo.  Black Rock Beverage Company offered both in the small glass bottles.  I always maintained that root beer was peppermint flavoured, birch beer was wintergreen flavoured.  Both were eminently favoured over prune pop (Dr. Pepper).

The only time I have a soda as an adult is if I have pizza or wings at lunch to go with it. That is a childhood pairing that stuck, I guess.

Maybe a Diet Mt Dew if I’m driving long distance, then I arrive with the shakes and need wine to calm me. 

Vernor's is still made. Dr.Pepper is Sasparila. Haven't seen birch beer  since Visnak's on the east side closed down. My grandfather would get  it with other assorted flavors from them and he died >40 years ago

31 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Vernor's is still made. Dr.Pepper is Sasparila. Haven't seen birch beer  since Visnak's on the east side closed down. My grandfather would get  it with other assorted flavors from them and he died >40 years ago

Sarsparilla I thought was root beer, specifically birch beer?

Vernor's is pre-Prohibition ginger ale. My grandmother loved that stuff. I can't taste it today and not flash back to my grandmother's apartment! Pale dry ginger ale (pre-Prohibition too) mixes better.

• Like (+1) 1