Rams’ LB Ernest Jones IV wants a trade

Roundybout

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Jones is more a Mike in this scheme than a will. So what is the plan? Play him as a limited athlete at Will? Move Bernard off a great year to Will? Trade Elam for a backup LB? I just don't see the fit.

I don't really understand what happened to Elam. I saw him play in college and he bordered upon great. Has he ever done anything really good on the Bills.

I don't want to trade him because I am holding out against hope that he will some day turn into the player that he was at Florida.

Elam is working toward being the 2025 replacement for Douglas.  Why trade him now.  

Jones is a good player, but why would Beane want to take on a new big contract, when he’s worked so hard to get us out of cap hell and they like Williams? 

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I don't really understand what happened to Elam. I saw him play in college and he bordered upon great. Has he ever done anything really good on the Bills.

I don't want to trade him because I am holding out against hope that he will some day turn into the player that he was at Florida.

He was always a clunky scheme fit. I was asked on here before that draft to rank the top 7 corners in the class as potential Bills scheme fits. I put Elam 6th. They drafted him on physical profile and trusted they could totally change his playing style.

• Like (+1) 1

If I am Beane, I am gonna gamble that the upside to Elam is higher than what we could receive in a prospective trade... and roll with it.... now that is not saying it wont flop and we wont be second guessed because that gamble failed... But I have seen enough to say, lets let this play out.... rather that bring in a mediocre player (with cap implications) who needs to learn the system etc... or a day 3 pick. 

Edited by JP51

20 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Sure but the difference is that even though he’s not starting, he’s finally playing closer to the level they envisioned him for him. 

If this was a Cody Ford situation, it would be different

I agree it’s not a Cody Ford situation.  I actually think they should flip Elam for best possible pick they can get at this point, but I also get the point that he’s nice depth to have in the CB room.  I just think they have other CB depth that they trust just as much, so they’d get better value trading him.

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He was always a clunky scheme fit. I was asked on here before that draft to rank the top 7 corners in the class as potential Bills scheme fits. I put Elam 6th. They drafted him on physical profile and trusted they could totally change his playing style.

Yeah it was known that he wasn't a good scheme fit but they thought they could fix that overnight.   They drafted him expecting a day one starter.   And they are trusting that same judgement with Keon Coleman now.  But I digress........bottom line is with Benford's injury history and Rasul Douglas aging Elam could easily be starting pretty early in the season and totally change his narrative as a bust.   Ingram is more instinctive but the room gets a lot less athletic without Elam and less likely to be able to matchup in man.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I can't see the Bills even thinking about trading Elam. They need more than three competent CBs (it's the NFL, after all), and given his athleticism and the fact that he seems to have turned a corner, he's extremely valuable to them. There will be injuries -- there always are. Watching teams with really bad CB situations is generally painful to watch. It's considered a premier position for a reason. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I think you’re overestimating him in College. He had a good soph season but in his  junior season he couldn’t tackle anyone and has always been incredibly grabby at Florida. He didn’t excel in man his junior season and was never a good zone corner further showing his weaknesses when he got to the Bills. 

He was drafted on tools like size and speed and lineage more than his tape. He was the anti Tre White who didn’t have physical traits but great tape and excellent fit. 

25 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think you’re overestimating him in College. He had a good soph season but in his  junior season he couldn’t tackle anyone and has always been incredibly grabby at Florida. He didn’t excel in man his junior season and was never a good zone corner further showing his weaknesses when he got to the Bills. 

He was drafted on tools like size and speed and lineage more than his tape. He was the anti Tre White who didn’t have physical traits but great tape and excellent fit. 

I will not argue with you, whereas I don't spend much time looking at corners. That said, he played against great competition in the SEC, and I mean really great. He more than held his own against Alabama. I always assumed that his lack of production on the Bills was due to attitude and/or injuries.

Oh and btw, I was less than pleased when McDermott traded up for him. ;) 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He was always a clunky scheme fit. I was asked on here before that draft to rank the top 7 corners in the class as potential Bills scheme fits. I put Elam 6th.

Good call as usual.