IR: Who and how many?

I'm trying to guess what they do with IR'd players come Tuesday.

The new rules give you 2 to go to IR without any cuts being made.

I think Beane and McDermott will send at least 3 to IR with a Ferguson type "parking lot" cut and sign.

Beane has enough money to do that if he doesn't get rid of too many higher dead money vets.

Could he go with 4?  I'm not sure.

Milano

Spector?

MVS (saves the dead money and gives time for the WR stuff to settle down for a few games)

Morris?  Maybe if his injury is bad enough.

Is there a DB move to be made?  A DL move?

I don't see Trubisky going.  If he not available for Week 1 they can elevate DiNucci from the PS for the game.

I think this is key to who the final 53 Tuesday night end up being.  Moving some of these guys for a 4-week minimum gives them

some wiggle room to see what they really got with some of these younger players.  It also gives time to see who does clear to get to the PS.

Edited by ColoradoBills

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think you nailed it, Morris and MVS.

Both could straight up be released, though.

Thanks, but my thinking is if released and the replacements don't work out OR injuries.  Those guys could be valuable.

There could also be a "stashed" player similar to what Beane has done in the past.

I like Morris a lot, but if he's banged up some you can move him to IR and give Davidson a decent shot for a few games.

Make the final decision later.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

If they're injured, they can't be cut.

True, but my thinking is more about expanding the roster.  Morris could be waived/injured but my thinking is to keep him on IR for the

minimum time at least.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks, but my thinking is if released and the replacements don't work out OR injuries.  Those guys could be valuable.

There could also be a "stashed" player similar to what Beane has done in the past.

I like Morris a lot, but if he's banged up some you can move him to IR and give Davidson a decent shot for a few games.

Make the final decision later.

Shoot sorry, I meant Morrow, the LB not Morris. Morris is super safe, IR depending how bad the shoulder is. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think Beane and McDermott will send at least 3 to IR with a Ferguson type "parking lot" cut and sign.

Beane has enough money to do that if he doesn't get rid of too many higher dead money vets.

Milano

MVS (saves the dead money and gives time for the WR stuff to settle down for a few games)

I don't see Trubisky going.  If he not available for Week 1 they can elevate DiNucci from the PS for the game.

I think this is key to who the final 53 Tuesday night end up being.  Moving some of these guys for a 4-week minimum gives them

some wiggle room to see what they really got with some of these younger players.  It also gives time to see who does clear to get to the PS.

Guarantee (1): Milano

Likely (1): Spector

Possible (1): Morris

Unlikely (5): Morrow, our 3 injured safeties, MVS

I'd be shocked if we IR more than 3.  Reid is definitely the cut/sign back next day, if needed.

Morrow highly likely to be ready for week 1.  MVS injury update sounds promising, and if he's not ready week 1 then it's likely week 2.

Bottom line we have a lot of borderline injuries for week 1, but its likely we have most ready for then.  And those who aren't, very likely ready week 2. 

I think Davidson is not a TE3, with what we want to do in our ground game.  He's perfectly suited for our P/S, if we can sneak him on it.  Morrow is going to be a key S/T and a top reserve LB.  MVS, as much hate he gets on here, is our only WR that can take the top off a defense.  If he's close to ready, it's not worth IRing him.

Davidson is the 1 player that could make our 53, along with Morris, if we sacrifice at WR (keep just 5).  Shavers has showed so much progress throughout the offseason, I think they'll be reluctant to let him go...so I think Davidson is the odd man out

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Guarantee (1): Milano

Likely (1): Spector

Possible (1): Morris

Unlikely (5): Morrow, our 3 injured safeties, MVS

I'd be shocked if we IR more than 3.  Reid is definitely the cut/sign back next day, if needed.

Morrow highly likely to be ready for week 1.  MVS injury update sounds promising, and if he's not ready week 1 then it's likely week 2.

Bottom line we have a lot of borderline injuries for week 1, but its likely we have most ready for then.  And those who aren't, very likely ready week 2. 

I think Davidson is not a TE3, with what we want to do in our ground game.  He's perfectly suited for our P/S, if we can sneak him on it.  Morrow is going to be a key S/T and a top reserve LB.  MVS, as much hate he gets on here, is our only WR that can take the top off a defense.  If he's close to ready, it's not worth IRing him.

Davidson is the 1 player that could make our 53, along with Morris, if we sacrifice at WR (keep just 5).  Shavers has showed so much progress throughout the offseason, I think they'll be reluctant to let him go...so I think Davidson is the odd man out

If Beane and McDermott play the IR stuff straight up I agree with everything.

I missed Spector in my OP.  That seems probable.

It seems to me that there has been at least one "questionable" IR player "stashed" in the past.

I'm wondering if that happens again.  

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Milano

Spector?

Milano on IR- he is 1 of the 2 designated for activation for preseason IR

i don’t  know what MVS injury is but I think they did his contract with the intent of cutting him and he’s on the PS

a few other vets are cut then resigned to put players on in season IR and not cut kids.

12 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Milano on IR- he is 1 of the 2 designated for activation for preseason IR

i don’t  know what MVS injury is but I think they did his contract with the intent of cutting him and he’s on the PS

a few other vets are cut then resigned to put players on in season IR and not cut kids.

He's guaranteed $2.25M.  $1.35M dead money this year with $900K next year.  I don't think they thought that was intent to cut contract.

The way I see it, he makes the 53 or a slight chance they IR him to start the season.

IMO.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/25275/marquez-valdes-scantling

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

how about suddenly they are fine can they be cut :lol:

I know you’re kidding, but the best that can be done is doing an injury settlement and moving on. For those less likely to make the 53 , you can IR them now and out for the year.  They in turn could receive a settlement and be done.  My guess if in question at all on Milano, he may be the IR on the last day of the team docs thinks there is a chance for him to return in December or January, they may do it.  If the prognosis isn’t good, then they IR him early.

It’s a crap shoot when they early vs. last day IR.  Samuel is my guess would be the other last day IR as he may be able to come back in six weeks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A question for the board.  The new rules allow for 8 players to be placed on IR during the season with the potential to come back.  If a player makes initial 53 roster and then placed on IR soon after, does that count as one of the 8?

16 minutes ago, juno999 said:

A question for the board.  The new rules allow for 8 players to be placed on IR during the season with the potential to come back.  If a player makes initial 53 roster and then placed on IR soon after, does that count as one of the 8?

Yes. Making the 53 (as in, on the 53 man roster at 4:00 PM Tuesday) is what is considered the beginning of the "during the season" part. Also starting this year, they can place 2 of those 8 on IR without keeping them on the 53 for a day as long as they do it on the final cut down day.

Edited by Tuco
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Gore has looked really good in the last two backup players games. I don't think that there's a chance at the 53 unless one of the certain roster guys trips over a mat at practice, but he hurt his Knee late yesterday. I guess my question is, would he be poached off the PS if he were signed to that, or would it be better to IR him ? ... I'd like to keep him around one way or the other without being on the 53.

1 hour ago, juno999 said:

He only counts if/when he comes back.  There's no special "IR with designation to return" when a player goes on IR any more, it's just a total of how many players can be brought back from IR over the season.

But if any player is on IR and brought back, he counts, including one who was IR'd at the beginning of the season.

Note there is a rule change this year, two players may be carried on IR without having to be on the 53 man roster, and still be eligible to come back

1 hour ago, Kaenon said:

Released with injury settlement, right?

That could occur, certainly

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I know you’re kidding, but the best that can be done is doing an injury settlement and moving on. For those less likely to make the 53 , you can IR them now and out for the year.  They in turn could receive a settlement and be done.  My guess if in question at all on Milano, he may be the IR on the last day of the team docs thinks there is a chance for him to return in December or January, they may do it.  If the prognosis isn’t good, then they IR him early.

It’s a crap shoot when they early vs. last day IR.  Samuel is my guess would be the other last day IR as he may be able to come back in six weeks.

Wait wat?  Last I heard McDermott was "optimistic" Samuel would be ready at the start of the season?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1