Week 1 - Cardinals at Bills - Game Week Thread

We have laid some eggs in recent years in week 1. So many unknowns, new weapons, growing pains. Vegas has us at -6 which is a full point down from the -7 opening line. If anybody thinks this is a cakewalk think again. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Since 2005 West coast teams playing in EST win rate is 43%.

But what percentage of road teams win no matter where they fly in from?  I can’t find it.  But you would need to know that before you can make sense of the 43%.

1 minute ago, Mojo44 said:

But what percentage of road teams win no matter where they fly in from?  I can’t find it.  But you would need to know that before you can make sense of the 43%.

IIRC, road teams win close to 50% of the time nowadays.  It’s why the old “home field is worth 3 points” adage is no longer true, especially in Vegas.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

IIRC, road teams win close to 50% of the time nowadays.  It’s why the old “home field is worth 3 points” adage is no longer true, especially in Vegas.

I’ve heard that too and it just seems to be that way these days. So, if true, the West Coast thing is a thing.

Cardinals D is very very weak, they have talent on O but defensively; no pass rush and talent deprived CB’s. Their Safeties are very good but overall Bills should be able to move the ball  against them. 

11 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

I’ve heard that too and it just seems to be that way these days. So, if true, the West Coast thing is a thing.

The West Coast thing is definitely real.  A 3-hour time change is no joke and it seems to be worse than going East to West.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

The West Coast thing is definitely real.  A 3-hour time change is no joke and it seems to be worse than going East to West.

Cards were 1-1 away against NFC East last year. Beat Philly. Lost to Commanders. 

Edited by WotAGuy

33 minutes ago, Htt2821 said:

Cardinals D is very very weak, they have talent on O but defensively; no pass rush and talent deprived CB’s. Their Safeties are very good but overall Bills should be able to move the ball  against them. 

this is an interesting take.   They have good players on each level.  They play a 3-4 and that can cause some problems for offensive lines early in the year if they do a good job disguising pressure.  They have a great safety and a decent group of linebackers.   Because of injuries they do seem to lack a natural 34 OLB who can rush the passer though.

the flip side to the 3-4 is that if you can block it well you can kill it in the running game.  I have to think if they win the game they will have rushed for 150 yards or more as a team.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I do the West to East coast flight for a week every couple months. Been doing it for a couple years now. I can be dead ass tired and I won't sleep when I get to Eastern time. 1am at the earliest and even that's a stretch. I'm not 100% until 3-4 days into the trip. These aren't baseball players. It's not like they travel 80 times a year for most the year. They play 8-9 road games in a year. They aren't anymore adjusted for what to expect than I am. Then they have to play a game at what amounts to 10am. Except that's when the game starts, who knows what time they have to get up. Compare that to the home team. It certainly matters. The talent gap is just too small in the NFL. It would be interesting if this angle was even stronger earlier in the year. I could see logic to that as the traveling is new and they don't have any sense of rhythm yet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/24/2024 at 4:08 PM, ProcessImproverMan said:

Murray has some scary escapability and Harrison Jr and their tight end McBride scare me some. We have to play very disciplined on defense with contain. 

Agreed.  Arizona will have a formidable offense.  

11 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

this is an interesting take.   They have good players on each level.  They play a 3-4 and that can cause some problems for offensive lines early in the year if they do a good job disguising pressure.  They have a great safety and a decent group of linebackers.   Because of injuries they do seem to lack a natural 34 OLB who can rush the passer though.

the flip side to the 3-4 is that if you can block it well you can kill it in the running game.  I have to think if they win the game they will have rushed for 150 yards or more as a team.  

To me, their strength will be their secondary (Baker, Thompson, Murphy-Bunting) but looking at their LB’s and DL…*crickets*…no proven game changer among those groups.

IMO, this will be one of the least talented D’s the Bills face all season. 

On 8/24/2024 at 9:27 PM, klos63 said:

Cardinals have talent on offense, looks to be pretty solid on the Oline as well. Won't be easy

It never is easy, no matter who we are playing, 

the Cards would so love to beat us, we gotta come out putting the hammer down on these guys, 

GO BILLS!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1