Week 1 - Cardinals at Bills - Game Week Thread

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

I think I'm going to watch this game differently than about any other game I can imagine in years.

I'm really trying to not go in with any pre-conceived notions.  WR's being thin?  Potential problems in the secondary?  Basically, anything past history has taught me, or training camp has taught me, I'm not going to think about. Just observe the game.

I notice that before a game is even played, in the past I would 'think' what I liked, or didn't ilke about the roster and then go into the game looking for things to support my view.  Maybe its because I took a step back and didn't pay attention to camp too much, didn't really watch the preseason games...Not sure exactly why.  But I'm going to just watch the game and have an opinion AFTER the game, not look for things to support an opinion I generated before it.

this ^

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

I think I'm going to watch this game differently than about any other game I can imagine in years.

I'm really trying to not go in with any pre-conceived notions.  WR's being thin?  Potential problems in the secondary?  Basically, anything past history has taught me, or training camp has taught me, I'm not going to think about. Just observe the game.

I notice that before a game is even played, in the past I would 'think' what I liked, or didn't ilke about the roster and then go into the game looking for things to support my view.  Maybe its because I took a step back and didn't pay attention to camp too much, didn't really watch the preseason games...Not sure exactly why.  But I'm going to just watch the game and have an opinion AFTER the game, not look for things to support an opinion I generated before it.

I agree with some of the unknowns. For example I was concerned with LBers last year and Bernard was great and Dodson did well also. So maybe by the end of the season Bishop will be starter caliber.

But I feel like I’ve seen enough of Hamlin and Rapp to know what they bring. Also having both starting LBers (if it’s Dorian Williams and Bernard) having a combined 1 year of starting experience is concerning.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Are you watching in some official capacity? 😉

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I saw a Youtube short of some podcaster stating the Bills are going 5-12...and said it with conviction lol.  

he must think they are the oldest team in the league too.

On 9/4/2024 at 11:16 AM, paulmm3 said:

Hamlin has not looked good when I have seen him in game action. Hard for me to believe he's our best option, or a better option than signing Micah Hyde out of retirement. Hope Damar got better this summer

I agree.  But someone, I forget who, said that Hamlin did look good this offseason.  Better than ever.  

I'm hoping because I had doubts he'd even make the final 53 this year.  

The Bills under McDermott have historically done well at limiting mobile quarterbacks.

I trust Benford and Douglas to limit Marvin Harrison's production.

But Trey McBride? That dude is going to EAT on Sunday. THAT'S the only thing I'm worried about from a Cardinals offensive perspective.

As for the Bills offense -- it's just such an unknown to me. I have faith in Brady's scheming and, of course, in Josh Allen. But at some point, the Xs and Os give way to the Jimmys and Joes, and I haven't seen enough of the Bills' new cast of offensive players to have faith that they can or can't get the job done.

Some may view this as a likely Bills win. Home field advantage, the Cardinals' west-to-east trip, and the line in Vegas all support that notion. Me? Given the unknowns with this young Bills team, I can't think of it as anything other than a coin flip game.

Edited by Logic

Good Lord now Smoot is hurt too?  What is going on with this team.  Guys get hurt everyday in non contact practices.  They are going to be light on ends now in a week where they have 2 games in five days?  

This defensive line scares me to death.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I saw a Youtube short of some podcaster stating the Bills are going 5-12...and said it with conviction lol.  

I hate to be negative, but it's not an unreasonable take. They barely made the playoffs last year and actually got significantly worse, at least on paper. When you list out what the team lost this offseason, it's really quite striking:

• Both safeties
  • One of their leading pass rushers in Floyd
  • #1 WR
  • #2 WR
  • Starting Center

And at least on paper, every replacement looks like a downgrade. So, 5-12 is not unreasonable. But it's wrong, because 17. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I hate to be negative, but it's not an unreasonable take. They barely made the playoffs last year and actually got significantly worse, at least on paper. When you list out what the team lost this offseason, it's really quite striking:

• Both safeties
  • #1 WR
  • #2 WR
  • Starting Center

And at least on paper, every replacement looks like a downgrade. So, 5-12 is not unreasonable. But it's wrong, because 17. 

Last year thy were missing

Starting S

Starting MLB

Starting OLB

Starting CB

#2 WR

And had Douglas and Dodson playing on one leg/shoulder. 

And they lost to the Chiefs by 3 points. 

You think 5-12 is a reasonable prediction?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Process said:

Last year thy were missing

Starting S

Starting MLB

Starting OLB

Starting CB

#2 WR

And had Douglas and Dodson playing on one leg/shoulder. 

And they lost to the Chiefs by 3 points. 

You think 5-12 is a reasonable prediction?

I didn't say "reasonable prediction." I said "not an unreasonable take." In fact, the Bills being pretty bad is the most common opinion amongst fans of other teams and local sports talk radio guys not located in WNY. And that's where everyone here is pulling the "outrageous" quotes from.

20 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

• Both safeties
  • #1 WR
  • #2 WR
  • Starting Center

I'm not sure if our safeties are downgrades.  If it was 2021, yes, downgrade but both Poyer and Hyde were declining.

Floyd disappeared at the end of the season right?

Diggs and Davis both disappeared at the end of the season.

Morse was good but I think McGovern is good too.

• Agree 1

5-12 is crazy.  I get we lost a lot of guys - but 5-12?  

At least we're not being overhyped by many.  This is as under-the-radar as we have been since JA's first couple of years.  No one is really talking about us.

And that suits me just fine.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

• Both safeties
  • #1 WR
  • #2 WR
  • Starting Center

Well 5-12 would be a shock since plenty of local and national pundits have predicted around 10-11 wins.  

5 would absolutely be a disastrous season and probably mean Allen got injured somewhere in it.

37 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Good Lord now Smoot is hurt too?  What is going on with this team.  Guys get hurt everyday in non contact practices.  They are going to be light on ends now in a week where they have 2 games in five days?  

This defensive line scares me to death.

The Bills have 6 DEs on the 53-man roster.   They only need 4 for Sunday (even IF Smoot can't go).

They were never going to dress all 6 on game day.

It was pretty bad with injuries during camp/preseason but looking better now.

One day at a time.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The Bills have 6 DEs on the 53-man roster.   They only need 4 for Sunday (even IF Smoot can't go).

They were never going to dress all 6 on game day.

It was pretty bad with injuries during camp/preseason but looking better now.

One day at a time.

I am still thinking Solomon was going to be the fifth and Miller is more of a Role Player and not be viewed as an end.  I think they will dress five on gameday.  Solomon would be nice to have versus a mobile qb.  

I am very worried about the bills holding up in the running game on defense sunday and if they are down smoot and solomon that is a major bummer.  I know Toohill can take smoot's place if he is unable to play but smoot is the better player.

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

I am still thinking Solomon was going to be the fifth and Miller is more of a Role Player and not be viewed as an end.  I think they will dress five on gameday.  Solomon would be nice to have versus a mobile qb.  

I am very worried about the bills holding up in the running game on defense sunday and if they are down smoot and solomon that is a major bummer.  I know Toohill can take smoot's place if he is unable to play but smoot is the better player.

Agree they will normally dress 5 DEs.  Let's see how Smoot is and then IF they use the PS call up option.

• Like (+1) 1