Week 1 - Cardinals at Bills - Game Week Thread

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Admittedly I was not a fan of drafting a RB at that spot to begin with, namely because the difference between a RB there and a RB like Ty Johnson is practically nothing, so that certainly colors my opinion here. But I figure if you take a RB in the top 5 rounds they need to be part of the top two rotation from day one. I guess if Davis is the #2 within a few weeks it's not a huge deal.

Davis is already the # 2 lets not get all caught up in the depth chart. He's the best pass blocker of the group and he is the best pass catcher out of the 3. He's going to get significant playing time. I don't believe that Johnson even makes the team if Evans doesn't get hurt. Its the only reasonable reason I can think that they decided to IR Evans for 4 weeks instead of injury settling.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Davis is already the # 2 lets not get all caught up in the depth chart. He's the best pass blocker of the group and he is the best pass catcher out of the 3. He's going to get significant playing time. I don't believe that Johnson even makes the team if Evans doesn't get hurt. Its the only reasonable reason I can think that they decided to IR Evans for 4 weeks instead of injury settling.

And that's why Evans was on the P/S last season down the stretch, while Ty was active?

Yep makes alot of sense

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

And that's why Evans was on the P/S last season down the stretch, while Ty was active?

Yep makes alot of sense

If you can believe it guys get better. There is also a new offensive coordinator who likes to throw to Running backs. Evans is a better pass catcher than Johnson. I'm not saying its the reason I said its a possible reason for why they IR'd Evans. Johnson was also injured all preseason. Its not totally inconceivable to think that Evans was going to make it.

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

If you can believe it guys get better. There is also a new offensive coordinator who likes to throw to Running backs. Evans is a better pass catcher than Johnson. I'm not saying its the reason I said its a possible reason for why they IR'd Evans. Johnson was also injured all preseason. Its not totally inconceivable to think that Evans was going to make it.

Ha, Ok.  I agree players get better, and Ty is better than Evans.

So answer this, if Evans was higher on the depth chart, why did Evans get a solid chunk of playing time in preseason Game 3, while all starters and key backups (including Ty) did NOT play?

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Ha, Ok.  I agree players get better, and Ty is better than Evans.

So answer this, if Evans was higher on the depth chart, why did Evans get a solid chunk of playing time in preseason Game 3, while all starters and key backups (including Ty) did NOT play?

I already told you Ty Johnson was injured. They obviously weren't going to expose Davis and Cook in the last game. Johnson had 1 carry for 6 yards this entire  preseason. If we're going by your theory than Ty Johnson is in line to be the starter since the Bills didn't use him at all and must have been worried about their bell cow getting hurt.

• Simon unpinned this topic
12 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I already told you Ty Johnson was injured. They obviously weren't going to expose Davis and Cook in the last game. Johnson had 1 carry for 6 yards this entire  preseason. If we're going by your theory than Ty Johnson is in line to be the starter since the Bills didn't use him at all and must have been worried about their bell cow getting hurt.

You're wrong on this one pal.

Evans was kept for depth, that's why he was IRd.

If all RBs are healthy when his IR window expires, he'll be let go

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

You're wrong on this one pal.

Evans was kept for depth, that's why he was IRd.

If all RBs are healthy when his IR window expires, he'll be let go

Then they should have just injury settled with him instead of wasting one of their 8 return spots on him. Could have then signed him to the PS when he got healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

Then they should have just injury settled with him instead of wasting one of their 8 return spots on him. Could have then signed him to the PS when he got healthy.

Why?  

We are going to be heavily utilizing our RBs.  If Cook or Ty goes down, Gore just isn't ready.  His pass blocking just isn't ready and is a plodder (doesn't replace either skillset).

IR Evans, if someone goes down we have our RB3.  It's a calculated insurance policy, injuries happen

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

The most important thing to know about Sunday's game?  Why, what the concession stands will have of course! 

09.08.24 Cardinals Home Opener (nfl.com)

I’ve definitely got my eye on that “cocktail caraffe” - “2 ID’s required”.

Yeah lemme bust out my driver’s license AND passport at a football game for this $100 drink!

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

It's weird, in some ways the drought games were almost more enjoyable to watch.

Because wins were hard to come by, so when they did win it felt amazing lol.

Now a lot of the games I almost expect the bills to win. (Unless they are playing top teams of course)

Agree insofar as the Highmark vibes were a little more impatient and grumbly the past two seasons, especially post-Halloween GB game in 2022, which they won despite a BAD 2nd half. Allen might have stumbled through a head injury in that one (and some major off-field distractions). They lost at the Jets the next week, and then suffered an especially CRUSHING home loss to the Vikings, which had a similar vibe to that prior Packers game with an embarrassingly loud contingent of opposing fans present. Season ticket holders were able to turn profits for those NFC North games, with little effort to keep the seats local. Very disappointing trend that continued in 2023. 

The stadium vibe is much less fun recently. More disengaged and/or unhelpful. More dummies yelling "Come on, Josh!" and "Let's go, Josh!" while the Bills offense is lined up pre-snap (so dumb), and fewer stalwarts making noise while the Bills defense is looking for a stop. That Pittsburgh playoff game had way too many stupid yellow towels helicoptering in the stands. I recall a Bills fan vehemently defending his Pitt fan buddy who everyone hated for hitting nearby fans in the heads with his yellow rag which he swung too hard for being such a short dude. Like he just kept whipping it around and whacking people. Home field advantage evaporated against any teams that travel well. 

The drought at least was a drunken party that nobody took too seriously. 

• Like (+1) 2

• Simon pinned this topic

I am listening to the radio here in DFW and just like last year they have the bills missing the playoffs and continue to say Josh Allen is overrated.

one of their reasonings is that the roster is so old!  Technically the roster is skewed older but that is because miller, Martin, Ferguson and trubisky are over 30.

but the players they will rely on are all in their 20’s except Dawkins and Douglas.   

they also made the comment elite qb’s don’t miss the playoffs.  Pretty funny comment.

16 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

I am listening to the radio here in DFW and just like last year they have the bills missing the playoffs and continue to say Josh Allen is overrated.

one of their reasonings is that the roster is so old!  Technically the roster is skewed older but that is because miller, Martin, Ferguson and trubisky are over 30.

but the players they will rely on are all in their 20’s except Dawkins and Douglas.   

they also made the comment elite qb’s don’t miss the playoffs.  Pretty funny comment.

I saw a Youtube short of some podcaster stating the Bills are going 5-12...and said it with conviction lol.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Im more excited for Sunday than I have been in the last 3 years.  First time in a while we dont know what Buffalo is on offense and defense.  Many are looking at that as a negative.  Even though the consistency of the last few years was nice but there was an obvious ceiling.  Now as much as the floor is being doubted no one knows what the ceiling is and that is refreshing.  

Offense seems to be built to dictate to the defense using the ground game while always having the threat of Allen challenging all areas of the field.  

The defense is much faster in the middle and has better depth at tackle.  The safeties are not Hyde and Poyer though the past few season 1 or both have been in and out of the line up.  Im optimistic.  Buffalo has 17 and more often than not he will be the best player on the field and best player on either team.  

After watching the premier teams in the AFC last night I have no doubt in Buffalos ability to play with either team this season. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I saw a Youtube short of some podcaster stating the Bills are going 5-12...and said it with conviction lol.  

Social media "personalities" know that it is a sure path to more clicks if they say something to anger Bills fans.  It is usually a desperate attempt to boost their crappy podcast or show. Nick Wright made a living off of pissing off Bills fans.  He has zero appeal or insight.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Pretty concerned about our safeties and linebackers. Hopefully isn’t a big deal, but I’m thinking the offense is going to have to do some serious scoring this year to compensate.

I think I'm going to watch this game differently than about any other game I can imagine in years.

I'm really trying to not go in with any pre-conceived notions.  WR's being thin?  Potential problems in the secondary?  Basically, anything past history has taught me, or training camp has taught me, I'm not going to think about. Just observe the game.

I notice that before a game is even played, in the past I would 'think' what I liked, or didn't ilke about the roster and then go into the game looking for things to support my view.  Maybe its because I took a step back and didn't pay attention to camp too much, didn't really watch the preseason games...Not sure exactly why.  But I'm going to just watch the game and have an opinion AFTER the game, not look for things to support an opinion I generated before it.

• Like (+1) 7