Week 1 - Cardinals at Bills - Game Week Thread

My biggest concern is Trey McBride

With our issues in the middle of the defense and question marks at coverage LB and safety McBride is going to be a problem.  

For the bettors out there I think the over for McBride in catches and yards is free money.

• Like (+1) 1

I think week 1s are always the hardest to predict. We have seen very little of our starting defense, even less off our offense, we have seen our ST and kicker... less than impressive. On paper and in my mind this is an automatic W for this team. Quite honestly one if you are doing the W/L season prediction that we just gotta have. I dont suspect that this will be a loss at all... in fact I am pretty confident we open the season at home and at minimum find a way to win a game we should, if not just put a beatdown on them.... But... its week one...   weird stuff happens week 1.  Weird or not... the precipice of the new season, the anticipation of games, the family and friends you join with to watch... its a great time of year!

GO Bills! 

13 hours ago, stuvian said:

I remember how sloppy we came out of the gate last year. We were playing .500 ball at midseason, fired the OC, then finished with the streak that reconfirmed Clappy as a bona fide leader.

I feel we have our coaching room and organization where we want it yet I don't feel like we are more talented personnel wise than last year. Still, with the increased number of games, the NFL is preseason quality football until week 3 or 4. 

That we are owned by the Pegulas and the they are owned by the Bidwills is the biggest source of solace for me. Bidwill is a Dan Snyder who hasn't been caught yet.

I think we'll do enough to win by ten but it will be sloppy.

I blame a lot of that sloppiness and lack of attention to detail on McD spreading himself too thin trying to be DC and HC. Seemed like the finer details he would have been all over as HC got missed a lot for the first half of the year...got better after the bye

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JP51 said:

I think week 1s are always the hardest to predict. We have seen very little of our starting defense, even less off our offense, we have seen our ST and kicker... less than impressive. On paper and in my mind this is an automatic W for this team. Quite honestly one if you are doing the W/L season prediction that we just gotta have. I dont suspect that this will be a loss at all... in fact I am pretty confident we open the season at home and at minimum find a way to win a game we should, if not just put a beatdown on them.... But... its week one...   weird stuff happens week 1.  Weird or not... the precipice of the new season, the anticipation of games, the family and friends you join with to watch... its a great time of year!

GO Bills! 

Hell the first four weeks really do not say much. Patriots had that blow out loss to KC the one year week 4, KC lost to IND the year they went like 4-13, tons of examples of bad teams pulling upsets and good teams doing weird or bad things lol.

But yea week 1 especially is overreaction central and expectations can get weird. I have been consistent saying anything less then a multi score win and I think a lot of the fans are mad.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

Hell the first four weeks really do not say much. Patriots had that blow out loss to KC the one year week 4, KC lost to IND the year they went like 4-13, tons of examples of bad teams pulling upsets and good teams doing weird or bad things lol.

But yea week 1 especially is overreaction central and expectations can get weird. I have been consistent saying anything less then a multi score win and I think a lot of the fans are mad.

Great points.  Week 1 is not usually a good predictor of how a teams season is going to go.  Case in point, 2011 and Fitz is our QB.  Week 1 on the road at KC as a big underdog and the Bills win 41-7 in dominating fashion.  Enthusiasm for the season goes through the roof.  What happened down the stretch?  The team that started 5-3 and looked so good early ended up finishing the season a very disappointing 6-11.   That same opening week, the Steelers went to Baltimore and got clobbered 35-7.  My friend who is huge Steelers fan called me after the game and said the division belongs to Baltimore now.  Pittsburg would go on to finish the season with a record of 12-4 and gave up a fluke play in OT to the Tim Tebow led Denver Broncos.  All of this to say, win or lose, you can usually take the week one result and flush it.  Have fun, take it with a grain of salt, and settle in for a season sure to be filled with highs, lows, and everything in between! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Totally agree, and we say this now... but I know for me no matter what happens I am gonna over react at some point during the game... LOL win or lose no matter how hard I try not to. My friends and family always say ... I dont know which is most fun... watching the game or watching JP watch the game LOL 

• Haha (+1) 2

OMG YOU GUYS THE STORM IS COMING...

should the bills and their fans even show up.    

Goofy videos like this need to end.

Is Ross Tucker 5 years old?  Why  would that dumb video fire up a network tv analyst?

The depth chart has been updated. Joe Marino's comments:

The Bills' released their depth chart ahead of Sunday's Week 1 matchup against Arizona. We'll see how much this aligns with what actually happens but here are my quick thoughts:

- Looks like it's Damar Hamlin starting opposite Taylor Rapp at safety

- Hollins listed as a starter over Coleman which aligns with everything I've observed to this point. I think they share that X receiver role & the team rides the "hot hand"

- Ty Johnson RB2 over Ray Davis... only a matter of time before that flips

- Nicholas Morrow appears to be Bernard's backup at MLB

- Let's hope Brandon Codrington is awesome and ready!

Edited by bills742
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, bills742 said:

The depth chart has been updated. Joe Marino's comments:

The Bills' released their depth chart ahead of Sunday's Week 1 matchup against Arizona. We'll see how much this aligns with what actually happens but here are my quick thoughts:

- Hollins listed as a starter over Coleman which aligns with everything I've observed to this point. I think they share that X receiver role & the team rides the "hot hand"

- Ty Johnson RB2 over Ray Davis... only a matter of time before that flips

- Nicholas Morrow appears to be Bernard's backup at MLB

- Let's hope Brandon Codrington is awesome and ready!

Blah. Classic bills. Rd1/2 WR and rd 2 safety can’t even start

hamlin and Rapp! Backups and fringe roster players

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2

All I know for sure is it is far better to win week one than to lose week 1.

1 hour ago, bills742 said:

Damn..  That is sure rolling the dice...

19 minutes ago, wjag said:

All I know for sure is it is far better to win week one than to lose week 1.

Damn..  That is sure rolling the dice...

Less so than the alternative of starting either Edward’s or Bishop given their limited reps over the past 5 weeks.  This will take a little time.