15 Chargers players and staff freed from trapped Westin Elevator Friday night

Saxum

Elevator failed (some reports say it was due to a prank) and players and staff needed to be recused by Dallas Fire and Recue  via the stalled elevator car through the ceiling panel into another adjacent elevator.   Dallas Fire and Recue team was invited to dinner by Chargers.

Imagine being an offense lineman and needing to be hauled thru one ceiling panel and carried to and lowered into another ceiling panel?

Evidently this was first reported by one of Chargers players but cannot find original source.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/15-people-trapped-elevator-at-westin-in-downtown-dallas-rescue-underway/287-1fd1bdd1-aacd-4f4b-9888-6730e25361fa

does Boeing make elevators? It must have been too many OLs on the elevator at once. I am old enough to remember an article about the Bengals OL unit having to be weighed on a grain scale because they broke the team's human one. 

episode 7 bathroom scale GIF

Edited by stuvian
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

15 people?  Some needs to check the weight limit of that elevator

In one elevator? Maybe a kindergarten class, but NOT 15 full size NFL players! 

We have actually taken photos of elevators in Europe barely big enough for me, my wife and a suitcase with signs saying 9 people maximum. You’d have to put them thru a woodchipper to get 9 people in there! 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, stuvian said:

does Boeing make elevators? It must have been too many OLs on the elevator at once. I am old enough to remember an article about the Bengals OL unit having to be weighed on a grain scale because they broke the team's human one. 

episode 7 bathroom scale GIF

Recall  years back when Jason Peters tore his Achilles tendon he was using one of those scooters to get around and it broke  due to him exceeding the weight limit of the scooter.  Last I read about it he was trying to sue the scooter manufacturer.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Recall  years back when Jason Peters tore his Achilles tendon he was using one of those scooters to get around and it broke  due to him exceeding the weight limit of the scooter.  Last I read about it he was trying to sue the scooter manufacturer.

I am sure they had a clause in agreement that fat asses were not to use it.

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Augie said:

In one elevator? Maybe a kindergarten class, but NOT 15 full size NFL players! 

We have actually taken photos of elevators in Europe barely big enough for me, my wife and a suitcase with signs saying 9 people maximum. You’d have to put them thru a woodchipper to get 9 people in there! 

yeah, i've been in countless hotels/elevators in the the US: no way any of them held 15 large adults.

1 hour ago, Punching Bag said:

Elevator failed (some reports say it was due to a prank) and players and staff needed to be recused by Dallas Fire and Recue  via the stalled elevator car through the ceiling panel into another adjacent elevator.   Dallas Fire and Recue team was invited to dinner by Chargers.

Imagine being an offense lineman and needing to be hauled thru one ceiling panel and carried to and lowered into another ceiling panel?

Evidently this was first reported by one of Chargers players but cannot find original source.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/15-people-trapped-elevator-at-westin-in-downtown-dallas-rescue-underway/287-1fd1bdd1-aacd-4f4b-9888-6730e25361fa

15 people including players? That's like 3,000 lbs minimum. What was the elevator's capacity?

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

15 people including players? That's like 3,000 lbs minimum. What was the elevator's capacity?

So I have 2 buildings that I rent for college apartments 🙃 both have elevators max limit is 1500lbs. And hotel elevators are smaller than mine.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/24/2024 at 9:41 AM, Punching Bag said:

They wouldn't need to be carried, or lifted.  Elevator B, the rescue elevator, bring up a couple fireman and two step ladders.  Bring the top of it even to Elevator A, the stuck elevator.  Take one ladder from B and drop it down through the hatch into A.  Climb the ladder in A onto the car roof, step over onto B, then down the hatch onto the ladder in B.  

On 8/24/2024 at 11:30 AM, LabattBlue said:

I’m suprised they fit through the emergency opening in elevator car ceiling. 😂

They can be decent size, depending on who was on it, it could have been a tight squeeze.  

On 8/24/2024 at 9:41 AM, Punching Bag said:

Maybe the prank was to see how many NFL players one could fit in the elevator.

More info:

Harbaugh said [Justin] Herbert was among "11 or 12 of our players" on the elevator, as was Jeri Fouts, the wife of Pro Football Hall of Famer and Chargers TV analyst Dan Fouts.

image.png.5e888b2cabe89b98f5caee8349fc743e.png

"You get in those situations, and it's a test of wills," Harbaugh said. "I was proud of each of the guys and the two women that were on that elevator. That's a win. You feel good about yourself. You were challenged. It was a test of will, and you pull it down, or pull it in."

I am sure it was uncomfortable for the women especially.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/cowboys-country/chargers-at-dallas-cowboys-video-exclusive-justin-herbert-dan-fouts-wife-elevator-escape