Anyone else genuinely disinterested in movies from the last 10 years?

Another Fan

Just now, Just Jack said:

It's not that constant, most people get their orders before the actual movie starts.  And the space between your seat and the row in front of you is wider, so there's room for them to get by.  

If it's before the film starts, no problem.

But having employees repeatedly walking between me and the screen during a movie is non-starter for me.

I haven't been to a theater since pre-covid, there just hasn't been anything that interests me.

The lack of ideas out there is amazing for such a big industry, maybe I'll just wait for Fast and Furious 100 "Stuff we've done before"

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I live in rural Pennsyltucky and go to a movie about 1-2 times a year and have never seen this.

I honestly think I'd walk out if waiters kept passing in front of me carrying happy meals.

pitcher of beer and chicken fingers ain’t so bad 🤣

1 hour ago, Simon said:

But having employees repeatedly walking between me and the screen during a movie is non-starter for me.

it really wasn't a thing.  the rows are massive, and they have a way of coming in from the side as to not bother you.  if it was a packed movie and the people in the middle of the row kept ordering...that may be the only annoyance.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, teef said:

it really wasn't a thing.  the rows are massive, and they have a way of coming in from the side as to not bother you.  if it was a packed movie and the people in the middle of the row kept ordering...that may be the only annoyance.

….and almost everything happens before kickoff. It’s really not very obtrusive from my experience. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not disappointed at all. There are good movies out there, you just need to find them.

2014: Interstellar, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Whiplash, The Imitation Game, Fury, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, American Sniper, Birdman, Big Hero 6 & Godzilla.

2015: Sicario, Inside Out, Room, Jurassic World, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars Episode VII, Ant-Man & Creed.

I'm just using two of these years as examples.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Not disappointed at all. There are good movies out there, you just need to find them.

2014: Interstellar, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Whiplash, The Imitation Game, Fury, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, American Sniper, Birdman, Big Hero 6 & Godzilla.

2015: Sicario, Inside Out, Room, Jurassic World, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars Episode VII, Ant-Man & Creed.

I'm just using two of these years as examples.

I agree, they are out there, you just to be more selective than you did before.

With a few exceptions, I have no use for watching/binging any made-for-Netflix/etc. shows, total waste of time.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Simon said:

I thought the same thing when they first opened the place in Syracuse Jack is talking about until I gave it a try. They used to have full service waiters bringing people stuff whenever they wanted but surprisingly it wasn't very distracting at all.

Much less of an annoyance than the person a couple rows in front of you who is shining that bright screen for the rest of the theater while on their phone the entire film. 😡

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/24/2024 at 3:03 AM, Fr. Jerk said:

Cocaine Bear was amazing. They should remake that a million times instead of Batman, ya dig?

Then I got duped thinking a movie about the Von Erichs would be good...

022a631d-6496-48ec-b593-32ceec6010d0_tex

Iron Claw should have been a good movie, Oscar worthy movie.   The story wrote itself.  Instead, we got some sort of over acted, saccharine redemption story attempt.    They needed to let the story breathe a bit and not suffocate it with big name stars.   The casting, story development, and acting were horrible.  Dont get me started on having 5'7 inch actors playing 6'2 inch people.  They didnt pay any respect to who the Von Erich's were in real life.  It was the first movie I'd seen in the theatres since 2016 and it was a massive disappointment.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

For sure.  In part:

1. Movies are no longer primarily made for American audiences.
  2. Studios don't have the stomach for the independent film.
  3. Production is watered down by the 50,000 companies and their executives that are cobbled together to fund a movie.
  4. Nearly every film has a battalion of writers that waters down ideas with group think.
  5. Can't offend the Chinese, and that's largely why comedy, romance comedy, war movies and any sort of movie like Basic Instinct - are no longer "big" movies. 

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 1

I saw a very interesting interview with matt Damon a few months back (can't find it now).  He said that the rise of streaming services as a replacement for the DVD had an outsized impact on the type of movies that can be made.  Movies now have to make all their money in the first month or two because there is no second bite at the apple when the DVD is released.  So studios are betting more and more on sure things like Marvel etc and the independent films just don't get made.  Was a great interview.

And IMHO, the best movie made in the last 10 years was Top Gun Maverick.  Which, for me, is up there with Rocky 2, Godfather 2 and Empire Strikes Back as greatest sequels of all time.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/28/2024 at 2:25 PM, bills_fan said:

I saw a very interesting interview with matt Damon a few months back (can't find it now).  He said that the rise of streaming services as a replacement for the DVD had an outsized impact on the type of movies that can be made.  Movies now have to make all their money in the first month or two because there is no second bite at the apple when the DVD is released.  So studios are betting more and more on sure things like Marvel etc and the independent films just don't get made.  Was a great interview.

And IMHO, the best movie made in the last 10 years was Top Gun Maverick.  Which, for me, is up there with Rocky 2, Godfather 2 and Empire Strikes Back as greatest sequels of all time.

Top Gun 2 was one of the few movies of the last few years to gaze my interest.  I would say I thought the first one (1986) was all right but I just couldn't really get into the 2022 one.  I usually like Lady Gaga as well and that theme song she did for that movie was my least fave song she ever did.  

But what Damon said there makes a lot of sense.  Movies I think were trending that way but streaming services and the pandemic sped it up.  

On 8/28/2024 at 2:25 PM, bills_fan said:

Saw Deadpool/Wolverine yesterday and left the theater happy.  It was a perfect antidote to my current state of professional malaise, and did everything that I want a movie to do for me.

Speaking of Top Gun Maverick, was pleasantly surprised / thought it was great, loved the flying scenes and overall grandeur of it.  But at the same time there was a certain familiarity to it -- in the sense that it's premise seemed a lot like the original Star Wars.