Anyone else genuinely disinterested in movies from the last 10 years?

Another Fan

Business school dweebs with no artistic sense run the big studios now. That's why we get nothing but comic book movies and reboots. No one wants to make a creative decision so corporate safetyism reigns. Read David Mamets Everywhere An Oink 🐷 Oink to learn about the film industry's creative committees whose job it is to insulate the higher ups from accountability 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Business school dweebs with no artistic sense run the big studios now. That's why we get nothing but comic book movies and reboots. No one wants to make a creative decision so corporate safetyism reigns. Read David Mamets Everywhere An Oink 🐷 Oink to learn about the film industry's creative committees whose job it is to insulate the higher ups from accountability 

That is truth.

To see how it was done right, back in the day, see The Offer series about the making of the Godfather.

It is a great watch. It is on Paramount+ the trailer is here:

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I only go to iPic.  Bottles of wine and beer delivered to my seat.

same thing with the apple theater they opened in the pittsford plaza.  besides food they'll bring booze to the seat.  the first thing you notice when you walk in is a full bar.  i never really thought i'd enjoy drinking during a movie, but here we are.  

1 hour ago, teef said:

i'm more involved now with the apple theaters and their ability to bring me beer during the movie.

We have a Movie Tavern in my area, same concept.  Food can be hit or miss though.  Also, all ordering (unless you want to go to the bar) is done through their app, and they cut off sales at a certain point during your movie. So if you decide you want one more drink about half an hour before your movie ends, you can't get it unless you leave and go to the bar.  Pre-Covid, they had buttons at each seat to summon the staff. 

39 minutes ago, teef said:

same thing with the apple theater they opened in the pittsford plaza.  besides food they'll bring booze to the seat.  the first thing you notice when you walk in is a full bar.  i never really thought i'd enjoy drinking during a movie, but here we are.  

I just went there Sunday to see the new Alien movie and I asked where I get snacks and they told me to scan the QR code at my seat and they'll bring it to me...I just stared at the woman in disbelief lol. It took getting used to but was pretty convenient.

Wait, so you're sitting there trying to watch a movie and people are constantly coming in and out walking in front of you with food and drink deliveries? :blink:

Just now, Simon said:

Wait, so you're sitting there trying to watch a movie and people are constantly coming in and out walking in front of you with food and drink deliveries? :blink:

From my single experience this past weekend, the deliveries were all done in the last few minutes of trailers/first few minutes of movies. Although one girl did go to the bathroom like 18 times during the movie.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

We have a Movie Tavern in my area, same concept.  Food can be hit or miss though.  Also, all ordering (unless you want to go to the bar) is done through their app, and they cut off sales at a certain point during your movie. So if you decide you want one more drink about half an hour before your movie ends, you can't get it unless you leave and go to the bar.  Pre-Covid, they had buttons at each seat to summon the staff. 

that's actually a good heads up.  i've only been once, but i always like to sneak that final beer in.

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

Do they deliver alcohol? I know back in the pre covid time when they actually had servers they would but I thought that alcohol drinks had to be purchased at the bar versus on the app.

51 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I just went there Sunday to see the new Alien movie and I asked where I get snacks and they told me to scan the QR code at my seat and they'll bring it to me...I just stared at the woman in disbelief lol. It took getting used to but was pretty convenient.

it was also less of a hassle than i thought it would be.  i didn't eat anything, but my kids had chicken fingers/burger type food, (i think it's smash burger?) and they were happy.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, teef said:

it was also less of a hassle than i thought it would be.  i didn't eat anything, but my kids had chicken fingers/burger type food, (i think it's smash burger?) and they were happy.  

Yeah, the hassle side is was made me hesitant (and fumbling about with my phone in the theatre) but it was pretty cool in the end.

2 hours ago, Metal Man said:

Do they deliver alcohol? I know back in the pre covid time when they actually had servers they would but I thought that alcohol drinks had to be purchased at the bar versus on the app.

Interesting question, I had to take a look.  Yes, alcohol needs to be ordered at the bar, can not do it through the app.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

This is the norm in most of the movie theaters in my part of VA.     There’s a few throwback classy theatres that do this but make you order 30 mins before movie starts so there aren’t interruptions  

25 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

This is the norm in most of the movie theaters in my part of VA.     There’s a few throwback classy theatres that do this but make you order 30 mins before movie starts so there aren’t interruptions  

I live in rural Pennsyltucky and go to a movie about 1-2 times a year and have never seen this.

I honestly think I'd walk out if waiters kept passing in front of me carrying happy meals.

3 hours ago, Simon said:

It's not that constant, most people get their orders before the actual movie starts.  And the space between your seat and the row in front of you is wider, so there's room for them to get by.