Anyone else genuinely disinterested in movies from the last 10 years?

Another Fan

I saw there was as a Garfield movie out a few months ago.  I liked the cartoon and it's something I'll probably try to watch at some point.  

But really for the most part the only movies that have interested me the last 10 or so years were cartoons I liked as as a kid/teenager that translated to the big screen: The Peanuts Movie, Beavis and Butthead Do The Universe, and Curious George.  Cocaine Bear was a rare exception.  Pretty solid movie, especially it being Ray Liotta's last.  

Other than I could care less.  I respect fans of the Marvel comic books, I just never got into them.  

And growing up I was a huge movie fan in the 90s.  To the point I'd spend afternoons watching pay per view ads for all the movie trailers.  I was like so jealous of other kids in my neighborhood who had a Pay Per View/Viewers Choice cable box in their house.  

I hear ya. i don't go to the movies much and I don't "rent or buy" from streaming sites either. There just isn't much out that's very creative anymore. I tend to watch more documentaries and reruns of shows from growing up. 
There are a few exceptions for me and they tend to be throwback movies like TMNT and ghostbusters. I'm always down for a TMNT movie and the last couple GB movies were not too shabby. I liked that they were not reimagined but rather they continued the story from back in the day. 

• Like (+1) 2

I have become disinterested like I have a lot of things which skyrocketed in price post COVID.   

There is a 2nd class movie theater which used to sell tickets for $4 and no sells for $10 now but has made no changes - normally I'd go to theatre to watch a film I wanted to see but not pay the first run price but not have energy to go see them anymore.

I don't go to the movies much as the wife and I have very different tastes in film.  This means most of the movies I watch are at home via streaming service at odd hours of morning in the summertime. As a result, I'm very behind a lot of the time.

I am pretty interested in the new Alien movie though. I've enjoyed most of that franchise and it looks like they are getting back to its roots with the new film.  There is ZERO chance that the wife will watch that at all so I either go by myself like a middle aged serial killer, or I wait until next summer to watch it. 🤣

I kinda want to see Megaopolis- Sounds like Coppola's going real-life Colonel Kurtz, so I'm intrigued.  

Getting back on topic, I have less than zero interest in anything superhero, so that knocked about 85% of recent Hollywood films out of contention for me.  

Edited by BringMetheHeadofLeonLett
  • Like (+1) 2

In general, I share the OP's sentiment, with a few exceptions. As a fan of Science Fiction movies, I enjoyed "Blade Runner 2049" and "Annihilation". I am also looking forward to seeing the new Alien "interquel".

And there was an addition to my personal Best Western list, "News of the World".

I haven’t been to a theatre in ages, even pre-Covid.  Honestly don’t watch a lot of movies when they hit Netflix, etc.  I’m become more interested in TV series like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul.  

Not interested in much of what they are dishing out. Especially the Marvel series.

• Agree 2

I agree with the OP but I try to go to the theatres once a year for the experience of it, usually in the Summertime.  This year I saw the new Bad Boys movie.  It was kinda fun but a way over the top action movie.  I really liked the new Beverly Hills Cop movie.  I wish that one would have been a theater release instead of straight to Netflix.  The last truly great newish movie IMO was Once Upon a Time in Hollywood but even that came out 5 years ago now.

• Agree 1

To illustrate my non-familiarity with nowadays' movies. Walking through the living room I had a cursory glance at a movie the kidsv were watching, and I thought: well, another Asian karate/action B movie. But I was immediately corrected: No, this is "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings", the ninth-highest grossing movie of 2021. It was even nominated for an Oscar for Best Visual Effects.

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

The last truly great newish movie IMO was Once Upon a Time in Hollywood but even that came out 5 years ago now.

A fantastic time period piece, definitely one of the best in the last decade.

• Agree 1

More so disappointed with theaters. They serve too many ***** options, nachos, burgers, hot dogs, something that smells like ketchup in arm pits. It stinks up the entire theater. It’s nauseating.

just get your popcorn and drink and ***** the ***** down fatass.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I agree with the OP but I try to go to the theatres once a year for the experience of it, usually in the Summertime.  This year I saw the new Bad Boys movie.  It was kinda fun but a way over the top action movie.  I really liked the new Beverly Hills Cop movie.  I wish that one would have been a theater release instead of straight to Netflix.  The last truly great newish movie IMO was Once Upon a Time in Hollywood but even that came out 5 years ago now.

When I see Bad Boys I still think of this movie

Which kinda proves my whole point.  It wasn't like a relatable film to me but still a pretty solid one.  This kind of film is pretty much dead... I mean at least in the larger movie theaters these days 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

My teenage kids like going to the movies but admit that in some ways being home is better. I can pause movie, I can get food or drink quickly, I don't have to worry about twits talking during movie. When you have a 75 inch TV and a decent sound bar the quality is so close the experience is overall similar but free.

I lost interest in movies made in this millennium. Music and Movies since 2000 are garbage.   Of course there are some rare exceptions.  No thannk you to Brady Bunch 3 or another Freaky Friday remake.  No thanks to  soulless Autotune drivel.

It goes against evolution.