Poll: which pre-season standouts and fan favorites do you think will make the final 53 roster?

Lost

Poll: which pre-season standouts and fan favorites do you think will make the final 53 roster?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Select all of the players you think will survive the roster bubble and make the final 53

• Joe Andreessen
    • Zach Davidson
    • Ja'Marcus Ingram
    • Javon Solomon
    • Tylan Grable
    • Tyrell Shavers
    • KJ Hamler
    • Marquez Valdes-Scantling
    • Gable Steveson

Roster cuts coming on Tuesday and I'm curious how everyone else is feeling about some of these players who may or may not be on the bubble to get released.  

Edited by Lost
  • Like (+1) 1

• Lost changed the title to Poll: which pre-season standouts and fan favorites do you think will make the final 53 roster?

Solomon and Grable are draft picks plus they've shown plenty of upside to be rosterable. They will make the team for sure. Ingram is the 4th corner. Who makes it ahead of him? MVS I think is the 5th receiver. Not sure any of the others make it ahead of him.

We'll see with Andreessen. I see him as a 50/50 chance to make the roster.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

What has Morrow or Simon or EU shown this year?  Andreeson was best player on D besides Greg, and they did against the first string.

Deon Jones has played well. Dorian and Bernard make 3 LB.

Spector can’t stay healthy.  

Andreeson would get picked up in a second if we tried to sneak him on practice squad.

see the ball- find that ball- what’s not to love?

If Andreeson has another stellar game- we have to keep him.

I might be one of the odd ones out on this, but I really do not want MVS to make the team. Yes he has come through in the playoffs but all I can imagine is he drops a game winning ball that costs us the 1 seed and right now I feel like that's more important. I don't know who else can fill his archetype but I'd rather they risk not having him than risk having him.

As for the rest of them, Solomon and Ingram feel like locks at this point, Solomon because he's a draft pick and Ingram because he's come into being a solid depth piece.

Andreessen needs to have another great game to survive the roster bubble I think. The job is there for the taking with Spector not being healthy so if he can ball out again I think he makes it.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GuardianAngel said:

I might be one of the odd ones out on this, but I really do not want MVS to make the team.

You're not alone.

I just cannot trust the guy at a key moment.

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

I think McDermott mentioned MVS will be available week 1, is a pretty strong signal he will be on the roster.

"available" does not necessarily mean on roster.  He appears to be believe he will be healthy enough to be put on 53 man roster or released without settlement.

1 hour ago, GuardianAngel said:

I might be one of the odd ones out on this, but I really do not want MVS to make the team. Yes he has come through in the playoffs but all I can imagine is he drops a game winning ball that costs us the 1 seed and right now I feel like that's more important. I don't know who else can fill his archetype but I'd rather they risk not having him than risk having him.

Any player can drop a pass, some which should never have been thrown or thrown such that difficulty of making catch is very, very high.

How many players with significant number of game winning balls have never failed to make every catch possible?

1 hour ago, Punching Bag said:

Any player can drop a pass, some which should never have been thrown or thrown such that difficulty of making catch is very, very high.

How many players with significant number of game winning balls have never failed to make every catch possible?

This is very true, and it's not like we didn't watch Diggs let a game defining ball slip through his arms. It just felt like when Beane was putting the wr together he made a point to get people with solid hands. Shakir and Kincaid have really good hands and supposedly so does Coleman. (I say supposedly because the NFL hits different than college at least in my eyes.) I don't have the numbers in front of me but I'm pretty sure both Hollins and Samuel also have pretty high catch %. So when MVS was signed I couldn't help but scratch my head and wonder "Why him of all people?" after seemingly making the effort to get high catch % players. 

This camp hasn't really helped my doubts either seeing as MVS has had a decent portion of drops in practice, I won't count the preseason games because he had crap qbs throwing to him but I still cringed a bit. 

I'm definitely an "any given Sunday" type of person, so he very well could catch that ball that I'm so afraid he drops or he might never be in that position in the first place. It just makes me nervous at the end of the day and I'm really sick of being nervous watching this team, we're too good to be pumping my anxiety. Now I'm not sure who could take his roster spot that would be better, If I'm honest I was hoping Claypool could've turned himself around but that ended when the turf monster ate his grippers. 

13 hours ago, GuardianAngel said:

As for the rest of them, Solomon and Ingram feel like locks at this point, Solomon because he's a draft pick and Ingram because he's come into being a solid depth piece.

Andreessen needs to have another great game to survive the roster bubble I think. The job is there for the taking with Spector not being healthy so if he can ball out again I think he makes it.

You have to keep Andreessen based on the Steelers game. His raw instincts for the ball are elite. Give him time with NFL coaches and the sky is limit with him. His athleticism is great. He absolutely gets snatched up id he is released. Do the right the McBeane

As of right now, I think Andreeson is someone who they would like to keep, but may be forced to release due to a numbers crunch at other positions.  I think they believe they will be able to still get him on the PS because of his undrafted status, etc.  That said, if he comes out today and puts another game on film like the one he had last week......well, they will be forced to keep him if they want him because one of these lesser talented rebuilding teams will gladly put him on their 53.  Of all the players on the bubble, I think he legitimately has the most to play for today.  He will start and probably get 2-3 quarters of playing time.  If he plays well and they pull him before halftime, I think we will all know that he could be our backup MLB this season.  This game today will be a pile of garbage in a lot of ways, but I am super excited to watch him play.  I don't know if Solomon is going to get to play because of the injury he suffered, but if he does, he's another guy that is absolutely playing for a roster spot today.  He has flashed quite a few times this preseason and if he plays and has another solid game, I think they keep him as well.

It's going to be very tough for the offensive guys to make an impression, especially with the QBs we will have playing.  Guys like Shavers, Hamler, etc. are going to have to go out there and just win their routes as much as possible whether they get the ball or not.  They will also have to show a willingness to block in the run game.  If they put on tape that they can win their match ups and block, they will make an impression and their case to stay regardless of whether they catch a pass or not.  But, if a ball does happen to come to them and it is catchable, they better make the play.

I can see most of those players make the final 53 except ...

Gable Stevenson - Probably less than 50/50 he even gets signed to the PS

KJ Hamler - I think he takes Isabella's spot on the PS

Zach Davidson - He's TE4 and I think the final roster spot could come down to him vs WR6 Tyrell Shavers. Shavers plays ST's Davidson doesn't... It's possible that Davidson takes the TE3 job from Morris but he hasn't from what I've seen in two preseason games.

• Joe Andreessen. I think an opportunity opened up for Andreessen with the Milano injury, and I think he capitalized. Very good chance of making the roster.
  • Zack Davidson. I think Davidson also has a very good chance, especially if they only carry five WRs, which I think is likely.
  • J'Marcus Ingram is solid depth on a very thin secondary. Also a very good chance.
  • Javon Solomon has been impressive, and consistent. Decent chance to make the 53. I think he does.
  • Tylan Grable. I had originally thought that Tylan Grable was a wasted pick, but he has been terrific in the preseason. He still needs to be developed, but I think he may have shown enough to be developed on the 53. If not, he's probably safe on the PS, imo.
  • Tyrel Shavers has made the most of his time in Buffalo, including his time on the PS last season. The biggest knock on him out of college was inconsistent hands. He seems to have improved remarkably. With his ST skills, he could be WR#5.
  • KJ Hamler was an intriguing prospect when they brought him in. He's the kind of player who could fill a role on offense that we are lacking to a degree. But, imo, he just hasn't been consistent enough. I'd love to see him make it, but I doubt he will.
  • Marquez Valdes-Scantling. The only thing MVS has going for him at this point, is a slightly bloated contract. He has not delivered. I keep hearing things like "he's the only true field stretcher on the team..." etc., but I don't see it. No ST, bad drops for his entire career, and a redundant skillset. I think they eat his salary.
  • Gable Steveson is a fun project for the PS. He's shown some flashes, and that extraordinary athleticism. But, he's way too raw to spend the capital developing him on the 53.

Those are my takes.

Edited by Rocky Landing

I think Andreessen, Solomon, Ingram and Grable are safe personally. None of those four make it through waivers IMO so Beane has to keep them on the main roster.

Davidson I think will but its 50/50. MVS will health allowing.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Lost said:

Roster cuts coming on Tuesday and I'm curious how everyone else is feeling about some of these players who may or may not be on the bubble to get released.  

I see Andreessen making it, due to injuries at LB and how well he's played.  He'll be depth and ST.

Zach Davidson I don't see making it, just due to numbers, and the fact that he isn't much of a blocker at all.  I see them trying to stuff him on the practice squad, help him learn some blocking, and eventually elevate him.

Ja'marcus Ingram has been playing well, but it will be difficult for him to make the team.  I hope we keep him on the PS, but I don't  see him making it as depth, simply because we have Rasul Douglas, Elam, Benford, Taron Johnson, and Hardy making the team.  He'd have to make it as the 6th CB.

Javon Solomon has been good, and I don't see them believing they can try and hide him on the PS.  Epenesa, Rousseau, Miller, and likely Smoot will be the top 4 DE's, but Miller is on a pitch count, so there will be a 5th, and the other DE's haven't outplayed him IMO, AND he's a draft pick.  He'll be depth on the line.

Tylan Grable won't make it.  There's just to much ahead of him.  He's another hopeful PS.  They'll likely carry the top 5 OL, a swing tackle, and an inside OL sub.  There's an outside chance he makes it as a swing tackle, but I kinda doubt it.

I'm going to combine MVS, Tyrell Shavers, and K.J. Hamler here.  I'm going to guess that the latter two get pushed by MVS, I'd honestly prefer either of them over MVS.  Tyrell Shavers, in my opinion, is a better big target than MVS is.  MVS just drops the ball too much.  K.J. Hamler showed how versatile he was today, returning kicks, running screens, lining up in the backfield, etc.  He doesn't do anything GREAT, but he can do a LOT at a decent to good playstyle. 

Gable Stevenson likely won't make it.  Just too many people competing for too few spots, and he's likely too raw.  I see the Bills trying to stash him on PS if possible.

• Like (+1) 1