What was the year we almost went undefeated?

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well, you asked a question with a very easy to find answer. Discussing that season is fine, but maybe you could have provided more to the discussion yourself if this was something you were interested in talking about.

Y'all attack anybody that starts a discussion. Does it matter?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Lafromboise said:

Y'all attack anybody that starts a discussion. Does it matter?

I'm just giving friendly advice. It will help you not get "attacked".

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, skibum said:

That was 1990-91. 13-3; The Chiefs clobbered them 33-6, but the other two losses were 3 points each, one in OT. 

1-1 after 2 weeks wouldn't really allow for "almost undefeated"...

In 1920, the Buffalo All-Americans went 9-1-1.  

In 1921, we finished the season undefeated (9-0-1) and thought we were the NFL champs because we had the best record.  There were no playoffs back then.  The team with the W-L best record was crowned CHAMPS and that was us.

But then we decided to play two postseason "exhibition games" that the NFL decided to count toward our record because of league politics.  That left us tied with Chicago for the league championship.  So the NFL invented a tie-breaker rule that gave the championship to Chicago.  This series of unfortunate events is knows in football history as the "Staley Swindle."  

In other words, it was a normal Billsy story that saw us screwed.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

OK, in 2022 they had three losses, all close games.  But the nature of the NFL is that you also win close games.  The week after the loss to Miami in the heat, but Bills fell pretty far back behind the Ravens, in Baltimore, and ended up pulling that game out by 3.  Later on they beat the Chiefs (in KC) by four, and they beat the Lions and Dolphins by 3 each.  All four of those wins could have been losses, just as easily as the three losses could have been wins.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/24/2024 at 3:23 PM, amprov56 said:

I believe the best team in football that year, including the NFL!

The Browns were the NFL champs that year.  Jim Brown was playing great.  But so was Cookie Gilchrist.  The Bills' run defense might have been the best in football, so it would have been a very tough game, but the Bills certainly would have had a good chance to win.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Utah John said:

The Browns were the NFL champs that year.  Jim Brown was playing great.  But so was Cookie Gilchrist.  The Bills' run defense might have been the best in football, so it would have been a very tough game, but the Bills certainly would have had a good chance to win.  

Jim Brown versus Cookie Gilchist would have been one of the great match ups of all time and both teams had great defense!

14 hours ago, Utah John said:

https://www.strat-o-matic.com/announcements/super-bowls-never-were-part-3/

It's got to be 2022. Bills loss week 3 to the Dolphins: the heat game. Loss to the Jets when they couldn't stop Wilson late and then the ****show that was the 4th quarter and OT vs the Vikings. Bengals game was cancelled. Bills only lost 3 games and they had the ball late with an opportunity to win 2 of them and 1 where they had a late lead vs bad offense and didn't get it done.

On 8/26/2024 at 10:50 AM, amprov56 said:

Jim Brown versus Cookie Gilchist would have been one of the great match ups of all time and both teams had great defense!

https://www.strat-o-matic.com/announcements/super-bowls-never-were-part-3/

Thanks for that link!  It was an enjoyable fantasy discussion.  I can remember as a child of 8 or 9 talking to friends about whether there could be a championship game played by the Bills against the NFL champs, but it wasn't to be until the 1966 season, when the Bills were aging and the Chiefs had gotten really good.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/23/2024 at 11:49 AM, Lafromboise said:

I just remembered I think we went 13 and 3 and those three losses were so close. Just curious what season that was with Josh and McDermott and if someone can explain how those losses came down that would be cool. Thanks. edit. It was the 2022 season. The missed throw in the end zone in Miami during the heat. 3 points to the jets(have to see how) and the Josh Allen fumble snap against the vikings. Other wise VERY CLOSE to being undefeated 

It was 2022, we lost 3 games and by a total of I believe 9 points.  It was a weird year, so close to undefeated season, yet every week felt so hard to win.  

On 8/23/2024 at 12:52 PM, Doc Brown said:

google-search-bar-engine-interface-eleme

cat lady meow GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

On 8/23/2024 at 5:31 PM, Jon in Pasadena said:

That's what she said!

Comments like this is why I'm hooked on this board.

That punchline when used properly never gets old! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

Thanks for that link!  It was an enjoyable fantasy discussion.  I can remember as a child of 8 or 9 talking to friends about whether there could be a championship game played by the Bills against the NFL champs, but it wasn't to be until the 1966 season, when the Bills were aging and the Chiefs had gotten really good.  

Years ago, an internet page provided a computer analysis of games between great teams that never occured! Oh ya, I was at the 1966 AFL Championship gane at the Rockpile. I don't think the 1966 Bills would have beaten the Packers.