Troy Franklin update

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Both Carter and Davis are both looking better than Franklin so far.  Swing and a miss on this line you are taking.

Completely disagree with this btw.  A backup RB and backup interior D lineman are not "looking better" than a starting boundary receiver who last night was featured in the game plan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Completely disagree with this btw.  A backup RB and backup interior D lineman are not "looking better" than a starting boundary receiver who last night was featured in the game plan.

Truth. Carter hasn’t shown anything but one garbage time TFL vs ravens. And a few (2 plays) vs hous. Im never gonna expect anything from a 5th year player at Duke - w abysmal production senior year. And the ACC blows now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’d love Franklin on the Bills, but I’m pretty satisfied with Beane’s third and fourth rounded picks this year.

McBeane have gone CB, RB, LB, TE, G, LB, WR, S, and DT with their last 9 RD1-3 picks. 

The RD3 and RD4 picks are guys who may turn out to be solid players in a rotation or even become starters.  Doesn't remove the fact that safeties, DT's and RBs are available in UFA at discounted rates which demonstrate that their value across the league is low.  Same with LBs and OL.    

Compare that to a good starting WR2 or even 1 who is gonna get substantially more on the market for their services.  If that's the case, the Bills should have drafted another there so they wouldn't be needing (again) to tap the UFA market.  After all, Hollins isn't likely to get another contract, Coleman's NFL future isn't assured, Samuel's been a dud so far and they'll need someone even if they keep Cooper for another season or 2.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Here is what I will say... Beane and the scouts did their due diligence on Franklin. Even after what was described as a disappointing combine, they met with him on multiple occasions and attended individual workouts. Based on that, I was under the impression that they were high on him and I thought he was the likely WR they were targeting when they moved down to the 1st pick of the 2nd round (where they eventually selected Coleman). In reality it seems that their repeated visits with him confirmed whatever doubts they may have had about him after the combine -- whether that was limitations they viewed physically or something regarding his character/personality/mentality/etc.

I guess we will never know, but what we do know is that obviously OBD valued Coleman over him. And even if they had better than a 4th round grade on him, they obviously preferred drafting Carter over him.

23 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Davis has been indistinguishable from Ty Johnson, even in the last game to my eyes which I know is a very unpopular opinion.

Bishop can't get on the field.

Carter is weirdly enough the player that I feel best about amongst those three because he plays a position that can have a real impact on the game and is harder to find good talent.

I would certainly rather have Franklin than any of those players, in the order I listed them, even though he has not popped until last night. Having a constant pipeline of young WR talent is just that important.

I'm not going to take any victory laps about the player from one decent game, just philosophically I would rather have another talented WR prospect on the roster right now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Davis has been indistinguishable from Ty Johnson, even in the last game to my eyes which I know is a very unpopular opinion.

Bishop can't get on the field.

Carter is weirdly enough the player that I feel best about amongst those three because he plays a position that can have a real impact on the game and is harder to find good talent.

I would certainly rather have Franklin than any of those players, in the order I listed them, even though he has not popped until last night. Having a constant pipeline of young WR talent is just that important.

I'm not going to take any victory laps about the player from one decent game, just philosophically I would rather have another talented WR prospect on the roster right now.

Carter is the player I feel the worst about - I just don’t see much of a ceiling there.  Hope he proves me wrong of course.  Agree re Davis - who I really like and liked in the draft - he’s not materially different from Ty Johnson (or Ty Chandler or Raymond Chandler).  You can find these guys anywhere.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Again...before last night he could have been on a milk carton the other 6 games.

After last night he has the same number of receptions as Coleman, almost half the yards and 1 less TD. And he has played an extra game.

You are way too excited about a single game where he was OK and paying no attention to the other 6 games where he was invisible.

Ray Davis had more yards against the Jets than he has the whole year so far.

Edited by Big Turk

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Again...before last night he could have been on a milk carton the other 6 games.

After last night he has the same number of receptions as Coleman, almost half the yards and 1 less TD. And he has played an extra game.

You are way too excited about a single game where he was OK and paying no attention to the other 6 games where he was invisible.

Ray Davis had more yards against the Jets than he has the whole year so far.

You are completely missing my point.  I am not comparing him to Coleman - I would've drafted both.  And in no universe is a starting boundary receiver worth less than a backup running back.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You are completely missing my point.  I am not comparing him to Coleman - I would've drafted both.  And in no universe is a starting boundary receiver worth less than a backup running back.

Perhaps when the WR is performing at a replacement player level they are?

Ray Davis essentially won us the Jets game. That's more than Franklin has done this year.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Ray Davis essentially won us the Jets game. That's more than Franklin has done this year.

Josh Allen and good run blocking won us the Jets game. Davis did what we needed him to do, he was not exceptional. Personally I think Ty Johnson could have replicated his performance for the most part.

Franklin was a 2nd round rated wr who fell to the 4th for whatever reason you want to choose.  You can't convince me that taking Carter over Franklin helped replace Diggs/Davis. Especially since our run defense is ranked in the bottom of the NFL.  I was screaming for Troy halfway thru the 3rd but I also knew McD couldn't help himself and he'd go defense. Franklin was that perfect X wr to compliment Coleman. We're not going to see a heavy wr draft like that for awhile. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

You were saying?  Is it time for a little forkful?

eating-crow.jpg

That’s funny. However I comment in real time, i don’t hitch my wagon to anybody.  Glad to see Ray have a breakout game and perform like we all thought he was capable of.  When evaluating any of these guys you need 2-3 seasons to make a real evaluation, but i will always comment in real time.  I’m sure your comments are all 100% perfect.  

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Josh Allen and good run blocking won us the Jets game. Davis did what we needed him to do, he was not exceptional. Personally I think Ty Johnson could have replicated his performance for the most part.

I think it's too early to tell about Davis, but it's a little unfair to say Ty Johnson would have done the same. Maybe, maybe not. Truth is the kid looked good, let's see if the coaching staff agrees and gives him more carries to see if he can build on that.

...And personally that catch was exceptional, I'm 99% sure Cook drops that (even though Davis made it harder than he needed to). It's ironic that a DB and RB had the two best catches of the game for the Bills!

Edited by Ballhawk
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

That’s funny. However I comment in real time, i don’t hitch my wagon to anybody.  Glad to see Ray have a breakout game and perform like we all thought he was capable of.  When evaluating any of these guys you need 2-3 seasons to make a real evaluation, but i will always comment in real time.  I’m sure your comments are all 100% perfect.  

Aw, hell to the Noes on the "perfect", I had that .jpg handy because I've eaten my full fair share of "crow pie" over the seasons.  I don't even want to get started on my Bad Takes, it'd take a while.  I acknowledge I was a "wrong Josh"er in 2018, for example.

I don't tend to get too absolute in my "real time" comments, though, like saying a rookie "sucks" one month into his rookie season.  So there is that.

I didn't watch the game yesterday, but the way some of you are talking, I had to look up what he did. 

5 receptions on 6 targets for 50 yards against a putrid Saints team in a 33-10 route.

Yeah... I mean he could continue to improve and turn into a very good WR. But I don't know how we're taking that statline as any kind of "I told you so".

Edited by BillsFanForever19

14 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I didn't watch the game yesterday, but the way some of you are talking, I had to look up what he did. 

5 receptions on 6 targets for 50 yards against a putrid Saints team in a 33-10 route.

Yeah... I mean he could continue to improve and turn into a very good WR. But I don't know how we're taking that as any kind of "I told you so".

Two weeks ago people were laughing at him over a dropped pass

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Carter is the player I feel the worst about - I just don’t see much of a ceiling there.  Hope he proves me wrong of course.  Agree re Davis - who I really like and liked in the draft - he’s not materially different from Ty Johnson (or Ty Chandler or Raymond Chandler).  You can find these guys anywhere.

Oh yea he’s got JAG written all over 

Pff grade = 45.

woof

So, Franklin caught a few passes against a dive bombing team and we are all crying now that we didn't draft him? This reminds me of the Isaiah Hodgins drama when he went to the Giants and fans were freaking out that he caught a few passes there.