Troy Franklin update

56 minutes ago, Logic said:

We'll never know for sure, but I'd be willing to be that one of our two 2025 2nds could have gotten us up high enough to draft BTJ. Then we still could've had Bishop.

It seems to me like Beane never seriously considered any kind of move-up this year, because he felt he was entering a reset/rebuild period where he didn't want to give up any significant capital to move up.

It's a shame, because Brian Thomas looks to be an AJ Green level player, and his presence seems like it would tangibly elevate our offense.

Coleman has shown flashes, and I'm not writing off the idea that he can be a good player for us, but Thomas ALREADY looks like an elite NFL receiver, and I'd bet my bottom dollar that he winds up having a more impactful and impressive NFL career than Keon.

Yeah, it was clear ahead of the draft his preference seemed to be to move down unless someone they coveted was atop their board while on the clock.  Beane then later stated he went in really looking to recoup the 3rd he used to get Rasul, which he did in the KC trade down.  

I too would have been willing to use a 2025 pick to get BTJ based on where he fell.  I do like Coleman, so not a knock on the kid.  Just saying on draft night, BTJ is who I was most hoping to land at WR.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I actually think it’s likely you see multiple WRs drafted next year. They have Shakir and Coleman and Samuel will be on the roster because of his contract but he’s often injured and they have yet to utilize him in any manner(maybe because of the toe). 

For as much love as this past class got, mostly because of the 3 at top, the depth of this class may be better. I would actually say this years crop has been a huge disappointment outside of the sure thing WRs and Thomas. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

i dont think its hindsight to say him instead of say Mack Hollins wins us the Texans game

Keep in mind, if we had BTJ he would have been on the left boundary like Coleman.  Mack Hollins runs the same route, the play stays the same.  And that play failed because Allen threw a terrible pass and was substantially more on Allen anyway.

I like Coleman, but BTJ was also the guy I preferred and I would take now too.  So not saying BTJ wouldn't help this offense more, just saying he wouldn't have replaced Mack in the lineup, he would have replaced Coleman.  So if we call that same play its Hollins in that spot.  

But to fair, maybe something else happens in the game with BTJ on the field that helps us win that is more than Colemans one catch for a 49 yard TD.  So in that respect, yeah possible it makes a difference.  

• Shocked 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Keep in mind, if we had BTJ he would have been on the left boundary like Coleman.  Mack Hollins runs the same route, the play stays the same.  And that play failed because Allen threw a terrible pass and was substantially more on Allen anyway.

I like Coleman, but BTJ was also the guy I preferred and I would take now too.  So not saying BTJ wouldn't help this offense more, just saying he wouldn't have replaced Mack in the lineup, he would have replaced Coleman.  So if we call that same play its Hollins in that spot.  

But to fair, maybe something else happens in the game with BTJ on the field that helps us win that is more than Colemans one catch for a 49 yard TD.  So in that respect, yeah possible it makes a difference.  

no need to relitigate the Hollins drop😂

I think Coleman has potential. But right now ThomasJr has both a more pro-ready skillset and addresses our need at wideout which is why i liked him for the Bills best

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think Coleman has potential. But right now ThomasJr has both a more pro-ready skillset and addresses our need at wideout which is why i liked him for the Bills best

He also became an immediate #1 and has the targets to show. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Everyone liked him more.  One cost multiple draft picks.  Another got us a draft pick in return.  

I agree that I would’ve liked to trade up- but the price was much more- as in two day 2 picks, maybe more.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Everyone liked him more.  One cost multiple draft picks.  Another got us a draft pick in return.  

I agree that I would’ve liked to trade up- but the price was much more- as in two day 2 picks, maybe more.

liked him FOR THE BILLS

as in where we were drafting, when he fell, what it would have taken to go get him...as in the choice between trading up or back down for Coleman

read  ffs

• Dislike 2

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I agree about BTJ, I was just pointing out he wouldn’t have been in the field in Hollins spot getting that pass from Allen, he would have been where Coleman was on other side of field because we wouldn’t have Coleman if we had BTJ.

But I agree about BTJ, he was my top target in draft of the guys who were realistic and he’s off to a good start too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

I actually think it’s likely you see multiple WRs drafted next year. They have Shakir and Coleman and Samuel will be on the roster because of his contract but he’s often injured and they have yet to utilize him in any manner(maybe because of the toe). 

For as much love as this past class got, mostly because of the 3 at top, the depth of this class may be better. I would actually say this years crop has been a huge disappointment outside of the sure thing WRs and Thomas. 

I’m curious what the hit is to move on from Samuel next year if it’s not figured out how to get more out of him as the season goes on.

We are absolutely adding another WR next year via draft as neither Hollins or MVS were anything other than inexpensive guys to fill roles while we had so much dead cap from Diggs.

Not sure if it will be 2 though, as it depends on what FA’s are out there too.  I can see them wanting to add a Vet as well (or we may even trade for one before the deadline).  But if we don’t trade for or sign a relevant WR next year then I think 2 is very much a possibility next year in the draft as we will be replacing at least 2 WRs next year.  

55 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

BTJ was my top pick, I liked Ladd McConkey but WTH do I know?

BTJ, Ladd, Mitchell, Coleman were ranked in order, for the Bills, for my draft day preferences.  

I pleaded for us to draft a WR who could separate.  I thought Mitchell and BTJ could separate.  Ladd has some shake, and is plenty quick

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

liked him FOR THE BILLS

as in where we were drafting, when he fell, what it would have taken to go get him...as in the choice between trading up or back down for Coleman

read  ffs

🤣 oh man-  he says read……yet wrote none of that in the post I quoted.  I’ll work on my mind reading skills.  

On 10/9/2024 at 11:25 AM, GoBills808 said:

BTJ is who I wanted badly. And now look how he's playing. 

On 10/9/2024 at 8:44 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I’m curious what the hit is to move on from Samuel next year if it’s not figured out how to get more out of him as the season goes on.

We are absolutely adding another WR next year via draft as neither Hollins or MVS were anything other than inexpensive guys to fill roles while we had so much dead cap from Diggs.

Not sure if it will be 2 though, as it depends on what FA’s are out there too.  I can see them wanting to add a Vet as well (or we may even trade for one before the deadline).  But if we don’t trade for or sign a relevant WR next year then I think 2 is very much a possibility next year in the draft as we will be replacing at least 2 WRs next year.  

It's $11m.

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It's $11m.

For perspective, $9M to keep him, $11M to cut him and move on. So a $2M hit.

Keeping him next year and waiting until 2026 would be $9.7M to keep and $3.5M to cut.

I'd be fine with cutting him next year and taking the additional $2M hit, especially if we draft a couple of WRs, considering pretty much our entire WR corp would be on rookie deals. But we're also going to need to pay Shakir soon too.

• Like (+1) 1