Troy Franklin update

17 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Yes fully aware if preseason week 3 just stating whats going on so far. Legette, Two Bills Drive's love child, has been injured and hasn't played yet.  God forbid the guy has a big day though against the Bills cut guys or it will be pandemonium on this board after tomorrow's game.

Leggette had a minor injury was out only a few days . Carolina has not really used there starters this preseason there holding them out and they won't play vs the Bills either. 

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Leggette had a minor injury was out only a few days . Carolina has not really used there starters this preseason there holding them out and they won't play vs the Bills either. 

I think it is a brave but odd decision for Canales to not play any starters at all in pre-season. When proven, strong, vet teams do it I get it and support it. But new regimes with questions all over the roster? I'd be wanting those reps myself.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

The Bills helping the Chiefs get a fast weapon that Reid will know how to use was a bad move.  You don’t help your rivals

The Chiefs gave us an excellent upgrade in draft capital. One could say the same to them.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This whole saga was/is very interesting.

Wonder what it is exactly that scouts saw and is happening in Denver? Doesnt have the mental ability? Isnt dedicated enough to working on the details?

It has to be something along those lines preventing him from taking the next step u since the raw talent is there.

I would disagree. There were physical questions involved. You can't narrow it down to mental / dedication yet, IMO.

Here are the "Weaknesses" from Zierlein's evaluation:

"Weaknesses

"Below-average strength and could struggle against physicality.

Unable to hold off challengers and save catch space when contested.

Rolls into intermediate breaks with excessive gather steps.

Ball-tracking inconsistencies will pop up at times.

Focus drops are part of the package."

And a fairly damning final bit:

"Sources Tell Us

“He’s not as explosive as (Jalin) Hyatt was coming out, but I look at him in a similar way with what he can do for your offense and what you won’t ask him to do. He’s a better route runner than Hyatt.” - NFC scouting director

I don't really get a sense yet, but it does seem that fans and draftniks had him higher than the teams did.

21 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

*Checks calendar*

Hah!!  Nice!

1 hour ago, Avisan said:

The Chiefs gave us an excellent upgrade in draft capital. One could say the same to them.

Nicely put.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Anyone feeling leery about the KC trade in 2017 is just being overly dramatic. 

The context that you’re missing here is that the Bills GM and his scouting staff were all about to be fired days after the draft.  

If you were Sean McDermott, a defensive coordinator up to that point, are you going to trust the intel THE most important from a crew that has been largely unsuccessful.   Plus the 2017 QB prospect pool was somewhat polarizing depending on the evaluator and the 2018 group seemed to be much stronger.  

This is why Buffalo passed on Mahomes and Watson in 2017.  McDermott knew he wasn’t qualified to make that decision and he didn’t trust Doug Whaley.   So he punted on the QB and waiting until someone he knew, trusted and valued help him make that decision after a year’s worth of scouting.  

So all in all it was a bad situation, which is largely moot considering Buffalo came away with arguably the #2 QB.  

As far as 2024, I think once Thomas was off the board they ranked the next group of WR’s similarly.  So they knew they could trade down and come away with one in the group.  I don’t think Beane should have given much thought KC taking Worthy.  

Yes, John. This nailed it.

People want to ignore this about McDermott being stuck with Whaley, who had been in on the EJ Manuel pick. Ignoring that ain't reasonable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Brand J said:

Actually that’s not totally true - even though the talk was about Bills and a CB, specifically Lattimore, Pegula very much wanted Mahomes and the team made the trade thinking they could get him at the back of round 1. Mahomes was a 1st-2nd round prospect, they had no idea KC held him in such high regard. If he had lasted to pick 27 he would’ve been taken, not Tre White. This all came from the interview with Jim Monos. Could he have been lying to save face? It’s possible, but I do believe if Pat lasted til the end of round 1, they would’ve picked him. He had Pegula’s utmost blessing.

I do believe that's reasonable, but Pegula isn't the decision maker. You wouldn't want him to be. He has a voice, as he should. It's one of the best things about Pegula. He found a guy he trusts and he listens to him. Two guys he trusts at this point.

It's interesting to think that they might possibly have picked Mahomes.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it is a brave but odd decision for Canales to not play any starters at all in pre-season. When proven, strong, vet teams do it I get it and support it. But new regimes with questions all over the roster? I'd be wanting those reps myself.

They have no hope of winning this year. The entire season is just prep work for next year and to see if Young can be the QB. They have 17 games to figure out who stays for next year.

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

They have no hope of winning this year. The entire season is just prep work for next year and to see if Young can be the QB. They have 17 games to figure out who stays for next year.

Fair. But why not have 19 or 20 games? 

12 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I read the story by Ty Dunne.  It said that while Terry loved Mahomes he wanted to empower his new HC and didn’t interfere in the decision.  

I believe the comment you’re referring to was from Doug Whaley on the Go Long podcast.  IMO taking about Mahomes at 27 was hyperbole to illustrate how much Terry liked him.  Whaley had zero real power that draft - McDermott was fully in control by all reports.  If Terry didn’t stop McDermott from trading down why would he force him to take Mahomes at 27?

Just about everyone who covered the Bills explained that the Bills were trying to acquire draft capital to position for themselves for a top QB in 2018.  I’ll take their word over a guy who hasn’t worked in a front office since that draft.  

Only those closest in the organization knows what would’ve happened of course, but what I meant was that if Mahomes had lasted til pick 27 - which wasn’t some far-fetched idea considering that’s exactly where he was slotted in some mocks - then he would’ve been the pick, not Tre White. Maybe they weren’t comfortable enough to take him as high as 10, but at 27? They wouldn’t have punted on the position til next year when no one knows what next year would bring. Especially when there’s a guy right there that Terry loved (and yes, I know Terry allows the ones he hires to make the decisions).

On 8/23/2024 at 11:10 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

For those of us including myself that were wanting Beane to draft this kid on day two, he is not doing much in camp for the Broncos. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/2024/08/troy-franklin-could-be-facing-a-redshirt-year-with-the-denver-broncos-in-2024.html

Maybe these GMs do know more than me....lol!!!

While spending a day 3 pick on him would have been reasonable, I don’t get the fascination with a deep threat who can’t figure out how to make over the shoulder catches. 

On 8/23/2024 at 11:15 AM, gonzo1105 said:

The whole class hasn't really done much to be honest so far in looking at it. Out of the guys we could have drafted, Worthy is having the best preseason and Mitchell caught a TD pass last night but none of the guys including Coleman have done much of anything yet.

I don't put much stock into needing to dominate pre-season games to showcase ability. I think looking good in camp is a better indicator of how a player is doing. Keon is doing well in camp by most reports I think that's a good sign. I don't think Keon is going to have a huge impact his rookie year but I think he will have some impact. I think he is going to have slightly more efficient Gabe Davis (Gabe had 35 receptions for 599 yards and 7 TD's his rookie year for reference on 62 targets) like rookie year. I think Keon can have 45-50 catches on 70-75 targets with 600-650 yards and 4-6 TD's. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Good point

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Franklin looked like a fish out of water during the Gauntlet drill.  I’m surprised any team had a draft grade after that

😆 after a gauntlet drill?! Really? So who cares about how productive he was in college and how much separation he could get on his routes. The gauntlet drill is the end all be all for evaluating WR talent. Puka killed it so that must mean that’s the only way to find a true difference maker in the NFL 

How about we wait and see how they year plays out before branding these rookies that have never played a regular season nfl snap busts 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

😆 after a gauntlet drill?! Really? So who cares about how productive he was in college and how much separation he could get on his routes. The gauntlet drill is the end all be all for evaluating WR talent. Puka killed it so that must mean that’s the only way to find a true difference maker in the NFL 

How about we wait and see how they year plays out before branding these rookies that have never played a regular season nfl snap busts 

yea in this thread there is a weird combination of people trying to take a victory lap on their pre-draft takes already and fans trying to cope with how thin our WR room is by saying “see if we drafted him he wouldn’t be any help anyway.” I thought Franklin was a good player on tape and think he will figure things out eventually. If he doesn’t, congrats to everyone else I guess?

9 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Did you see Franklin's drill?  There is much more to football than speed, otherwise every Olympic Sprinter would be NFL star.  Thats all I see with Franklin.  In that drill, Franklin lacked coodination, looked awkward, fragile, he fought the ball, , and could not even stay within 5 yards of the the gauntlet line.  This leads me to believe that Troy cannot run routes, does not have good hands, is a skinny, one trick pony.  

Compare it to Coleman's gauntlet.  Keon was super smooth, and caught every pass effortlessly.

Right now Troy is at the bottom of Broncos depth chart, so experts agree with me.

We can let it play out,  its not looking good for Troy.  Its a message board, and we are allowed to have opinions. 

Tim Tebow was great in college.  That doesn't mean his game transfers to the NFL. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Did you see Franklin's drill?  There is much more to football than speed, otherwise every Olympic Sprinter would be NFL star.  Thats all I see with Franklin.  In that drill, Franklin lacked coodination, looked awkward, fragile, he fought the ball, , and could not even stay within 5 yards of the the gauntlet line.  This leads me to believe that Troy cannot run routes, does not have good hands, is a skinny, one trick pony.  

Compare it to Coleman's gauntlet.  Keon was super smooth, and caught every pass effortlessly.

Right now Troy is at the bottom of Broncos depth chart, so experts agree with me.

We can let it play out,  its not looking good for Troy.  Its a message board, and we are allowed to have opinions. 

Tim Tebow was great in college.  That doesn't mean his game transfers to the NFL. 

Yes and my opinion is a gauntlet drill is a very small part of the evaluation process. We don’t get to sit in on interviews and I have a feeling that holds more weight on what’s going on with him than a combine drill. He’s still a very good prospect because he showed out every week as a difference maker at Oregon. Maybe he’ll just take a little longer to prove it in the NFL. He’s got the talent, just watch any game of him at Oregon 

On 8/24/2024 at 5:55 AM, Thurman#1 said:

I do believe that's reasonable, but Pegula isn't the decision maker. You wouldn't want him to be. He has a voice, as he should. It's one of the best things about Pegula. He found a guy he trusts and he listens to him. Two guys he trusts at this point.

It's interesting to think that they might possibly have picked Mahomes.

Reports are also that Mahomes would have never lasted past the Saint's pick that year. Landing Mahomes at 27 would have likely never happened. 

On 8/24/2024 at 7:08 AM, Avisan said:

I’ve always looked at it this way.   We didn’t give the Chiefs draft capital, we exchanged draft capital.   The win or lose comes from how you evaluate talent and use the capital.  We didn’t give the Chiefs Mahomes, we evaluated Mahomes differently.  Advantage Chiefs on the evaluation.