Troy Franklin update

14 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

He has a rookie QB Nix throwing to him.

Franklin may be good but it's going to be tough to tell

He hasn't even earned anything close to top four reps, though, from what Broncos beat reporters are saying.

It's something like:

Sutton
Patrick
Reynolds
Vele
Mims

Franklin

Benjamin Allbright said Broncos fans should not be expecting Franklin to contribute this year whatsoever. 

Pretty damning assessment. 

I'll admit to being a "draft Franklin on day 2" guy. I'll also admit to being an idiot.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I'll admit to being a "draft Franklin on day 2" guy. I'll also admit to being an idiot.

I don't think you're an idiot, I just think you're jumping conclusions way too early.

All the teams have had so far is TC and a few preseason games where the starters have barely played.

I think we will have to wait until at least game 4 or 5 of the regular season to see what the WR's really are.

Coleman included.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

This is correct.

HOWEVER...

Sometimes, the process of getting into position for the player the GM wants causes him to miss out on a player ANOTHER team wants, and sometimes that player is at a position that was also a need for the GM that traded the pick away.

For instance, part of the Bills' calculation for trading down and selecting Tre'Davious White was to stockpile draft picks to be able to acquire a quarterback the following year. But quarterback was ALSO a need for the Bills in 2017, and rather than maneuvering all around to stockpile picks for a future QB selection, they could've stood pat and DRAFTED Pat. Instead, in positioning themselves the way they wanted, they allowed an all time great player to go to another AFC team.

Fast forward to this year, and Beane was once again simply positioning himself to get the player he wanted. But given that the Chiefs traded into the Bills' spot to take a player AT THE SAME POSITION, and given the sting some fans still feel from the LAST time we traded with KC on draft day, you can understand why some are a bit leery of the move.

Yes, the GM's sole concern should be to do what's best for HIS team. But when a rival GM who seems to be better at roster building the past few years than our guy maneuvers into the Bills' spot and takes a player at the same position the Bills want, it should be understandable that it gives some of us a moment of pause.

Anyone feeling leery about the KC trade in 2017 is just being overly dramatic. 

The context that you’re missing here is that the Bills GM and his scouting staff were all about to be fired days after the draft.  

If you were Sean McDermott, a defensive coordinator up to that point, are you going to trust the intel THE most important from a crew that has been largely unsuccessful.   Plus the 2017 QB prospect pool was somewhat polarizing depending on the evaluator and the 2018 group seemed to be much stronger.  

This is why Buffalo passed on Mahomes and Watson in 2017.  McDermott knew he wasn’t qualified to make that decision and he didn’t trust Doug Whaley.   So he punted on the QB and waiting until someone he knew, trusted and valued help him make that decision after a year’s worth of scouting.  

So all in all it was a bad situation, which is largely moot considering Buffalo came away with arguably the #2 QB.  

As far as 2024, I think once Thomas was off the board they ranked the next group of WR’s similarly.  So they knew they could trade down and come away with one in the group.  I don’t think Beane should have given much thought KC taking Worthy.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

42 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

This is why Buffalo passed on Mahomes and Watson in 2017.  McDermott knew he wasn’t qualified to make that decision and he didn’t trust Doug Whaley.   So he punted on the QB and waiting until someone he knew, trusted and valued help him make that decision after a year’s worth of scouting.

Actually that’s not totally true - even though the talk was about Bills and a CB, specifically Lattimore, Pegula very much wanted Mahomes and the team made the trade thinking they could get him at the back of round 1. Mahomes was a 1st-2nd round prospect, they had no idea KC held him in such high regard. If he had lasted to pick 27 he would’ve been taken, not Tre White. This all came from the interview with Jim Monos. Could he have been lying to save face? It’s possible, but I do believe if Pat lasted til the end of round 1, they would’ve picked him. He had Pegula’s utmost blessing.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I liked Franklin and wanted him when he fell to day 3

I still want him. I’m gonna let the season play out before all of this garbage talk. He’s a good wide receiver and Sean Payton is an arrogant SOB so we’ll wait and see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

For those of us including myself that were wanting Beane to draft this kid on day two, he is not doing much in camp for the Broncos. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/2024/08/troy-franklin-could-be-facing-a-redshirt-year-with-the-denver-broncos-in-2024.html

Maybe these GMs do know more than me....lol!!!

I had him as WR10 leading into the Draft. I took a lot of flack for it. But during the Draft, even I was surprised he fell as far as he did. I had him as a mid-late 2nd Round Pick.

When I watched him, what I saw was someone who had a flashy looking highlight reel. But down to down, I saw a guy who's speed didn't come until late in the route. He had a hard time at the line, often against non-NFL level Cornerbacks.

Then he came to the Combine and solidified that with the worst 10 yard split of anyone, including Keon Coleman. And then a slower than expected 40. And unimpressive jumps. And the worst route running at a Combine that I've maybe ever seen, specifically in the gauntlet.

He tried to argue it was because he was sick... but then he stood by his times at his Pro Day instead of re-testing. That was extremely head scratching to me. If you're saying you tested poorly bc you were sick, why wouldn't you do it over at your Pro Day?

It came out later that on top of his film (which again, I thought was over hyped on this board) and poor physical testing - he also bombed the interviews. Reportedly not impressing team officials to a point where they wondered if he even likes playing Football. Even after all that, we brought him back in to have a workout do-over in Buffalo, which is almost unheard of for a Draft Prospect of his caliber. The fact that we weren't interested even at the bottom of Round 3 says to me, nothing changed with that workout.

When you take that all into account, it's not surprising to me that he fell to the 4th Round. I wonder how far he would have fell if Denver had not taken him? As I think the fact that they Drafted his QB Bo Nix in Round 1 played a major factor. The fact that they are now thinking of red shirting him after spending a high 4th Round Pick on him (as you don't often see a Rookie above mid Round 5 getting that designation) and even pairing him with the QB he found success with in College?... yick.

In my opinion, people really need to stop talking about him as an unforgivable missed opportunity. He simply was never the Draft prospect certain people around here made him out to be Pre-Draft.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

How did Beane know the Chiefs weren't going to take Coleman

He and McDermott were probably confident that the Chiefs still owed them a favor for when McDermott gave them the Mahomes pick and went down 17 spots to draft a corner.

Edited by Bill from NYC

7 hours ago, Logic said:

He hasn't even earned anything close to top four reps, though, from what Broncos beat reporters are saying.

It's something like:

Sutton
Patrick
Reynolds
Vele
Mims

Franklin

Benjamin Allbright said Broncos fans should not be expecting Franklin to contribute this year whatsoever. 

That doesn’t mean much. Sutton and Patrick are way better the Hollins so it seems their might be a little more competition in Denver.  Mims heading into year two probably has the advantage as well. Sometimes it’s about situation and the Bills WR situation is very questionable at this moment

5 hours ago, Brand J said:

Actually that’s not totally true - even though the talk was about Bills and a CB, specifically Lattimore, Pegula very much wanted Mahomes and the team made the trade thinking they could get him at the back of round 1. Mahomes was a 1st-2nd round prospect, they had no idea KC held him in such high regard. If he had lasted to pick 27 he would’ve been taken, not Tre White. This all came from the interview with Jim Monos. Could he have been lying to save face? It’s possible, but I do believe if Pat lasted til the end of round 1, they would’ve picked him. He had Pegula’s utmost blessing.

I read the story by Ty Dunne.  It said that while Terry loved Mahomes he wanted to empower his new HC and didn’t interfere in the decision.  

I believe the comment you’re referring to was from Doug Whaley on the Go Long podcast.  IMO taking about Mahomes at 27 was hyperbole to illustrate how much Terry liked him.  Whaley had zero real power that draft - McDermott was fully in control by all reports.  If Terry didn’t stop McDermott from trading down why would he force him to take Mahomes at 27?

Just about everyone who covered the Bills explained that the Bills were trying to acquire draft capital to position for themselves for a top QB in 2018.  I’ll take their word over a guy who hasn’t worked in a front office since that draft.  

• Agree 1

The draft was never deep at WR after the top maybe 2 - I’m not sure what Odunze is.  

The Bills did right by taking the highest upside guy after that. 

If Worthy showed up to be a WR 1 with legs the size of Coleman’s forearms we’d be livid.  I have no doubt his ceiling in the NFL is a faster MVS - who looked good early for Green Bay and just became meh - bc he’s a twig.  

So here’s to hoping Coleman works out (I believe he will) and Shakir is ready to become a WR 1 - I think he is.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Logic said:

It's something like:

Sutton
Patrick
Reynolds
Vele
Mims

Franklin

You know, we don't always agree (although I think we do more than we don't)...but I always respect your opinion and you as a poster as you are never afraid to admit a bad take, or something you thought turned out different, etc.  You don't try and spin it and spew some nonsense to try and sound like you were still right about something that didn't pan out.  And you are also not set on whatever position you initially had, you take in other views and new information and weigh it against your initial thoughts.  

So cheers and kudos.  And also, its a long season...which has not even started yet...he can still bounce back. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

The draft was never deep at WR after the top maybe 2 - I’m not sure what Odunze is.  

The Bills did right by taking the highest upside guy after that. 

If Worthy showed up to be a WR 1 with legs the size of Coleman’s forearms we’d be livid.  I have no doubt his ceiling in the NFL is a faster MVS - who looked good early for Green Bay and just became meh - bc he’s a twig.  

So here’s to hoping Coleman works out (I believe he will) and Shakir is ready to become a WR 1 - I think he is.  

I had a serious crush on Odunze and it was definitely a top 3 type draft with him right there with MHJ and Nabers.  He was actually my favorite WR in the draft.  But I am also someone who loves receivers who have elite ball skills and the size and strength to go get it.  And that is Odunze for me, not to mention he has excellent hands and route running skills.

Edited by Alphadawg7

11 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

How did Beane know the Chiefs weren't going to take Coleman

Still, with the Niners/Cowboys rivalry of the 90’s, they would never help each other.  They focused on stealing each others free agents.

As silly as it sounds, if another team traded with the Chiefs to let them get worthy, I wouldn’t like it but it would be an ‘oh well”.

The Bills helping the Chiefs get a fast weapon that Reid will know how to use was a bad move.  You don’t help your rivals.

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

They told him so?

Haha. I think he probably knew the Panthers weren't taking him when they did the second trade back because Dan Morgan probably did tell him. But when they executed the first trade back it wasn't just KC... the Cowboys who were by then at #29 were a possible receiver team, as were the Ravens at #30, the 49ers took a receiver at #31. There is zero chance he could have been confident "his guy" was surviving those four picks. It was clearly "don't love any of these guys, let's take the extra pick, move back and take the best of what's left." When Beane was "his guy" he trades UP not back. Elam and Kincaid are proof of that.

• Like (+1) 2