Do Athletes endorsements affect your purchasing?

Saxum

I thought of doing this during offseason but I was unavailable.

Personally it tends to decrease my interest in what they are advertising.

As example recent advertisement endorsed by Dan Marino for Relaxium Sleep previously endorsed by former governor Mike Huckabee.  Him endorsing it does not increase my willingness to pay for a herbal supplement.   In fact it decreases it for I think they are very unqualified to speak on it.

I have been contacted by State Farm and the salesperson actually told me they knew I was a football fan (public knowledge since I a Bills Backers Group president) and that State Farm is endorsed by Patrick Mahomes at which point I told salesperson it actually made me reduce interest in State Farm after his whining about referee call in game. Salesperson said he would not take any more time of mine and hung up.  Later in week I got sales call from State Farm again with different salesperson who did not mention Mahomes and I told salesperson immediately I have no interest.

Buffalo Bills QB1 Josh Allen has made good on some big endorsements. The star signal-caller has earned some big name endorsements from companies such as Nike, Microsoft, Hyundai, FedEx, and Pepsi among others.   I have purchased a laptop for my daughter using Micro$oft but just the bare bones and did not even know at time Josh Allen endorsement

Only endorsement I can remember affecting me was an athlete recommending airline due to seats back when TWA is in business and I paid for upgrade seats and they were worth it.

Many purchasing effects are implicit, rather than explicit. I think recognition of company/product over long time periods is where most of the meat on the bone is, in terms of "source credible" endorsements.

Very few people like to think they're even capable of being persuaded, explicitly. 

Edited by NickelCity
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

I am not that influenced by what a favorite player endorses

Sure, when I was a kid, I wanted to "Be Like Mike" and own a pair of Jordan's and drink Gatorade.

Other than that, no.

Edited by Wizard

5 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Not a whit…to the OP’s point, it could even backfire and make me less likely to purchase said product if I already dislike the athlete like Mahomes, Gronk, Brady, etc…

Especially if you end up seeing the ad over, and over and over...

• Thank you (+1) 1