Commanders trade WR Jahan Dotson to the Eagles. Would you have done this move if you ran the Bills?

Logic

With so many good WRs coming out of the draft nowadays, I say no.  Seems pretty high for him IMO.

Just like RBs, create a stable of RBs and WRs.  Keep them young and fresh, then when its time to jettison or trade... goodbye.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

At first I thought I would as I read it quickly and thought it was him getting traded for a 5th...then as soon as I read it again and realized it was a 3rd...nah, I wouldn't pay that price for what essentially would be a backup WR because as you said he is a bit redundant with Shakir and Samuel here, who I think are both better players anyway.  

I would be open to a trade that pushes MVS off this roster though because I am not looking forward of having to refrain from throwing things at my TV when he puts on a drop clinic to put even Davis to shame.

yep

• Like (+1) 1

He's not been bad his first two seasons but he hasn't light it up either. Hard to say if I would pull the trigger on trading a 3rd plus two 7th rounders for Dotson and a 5th round pick or some sort of similar package because I don't know if Dotson really fits the Bills scheme or what the Bills internal evaluation on him is both in the draft and thus far in his NFL career if he's someone they think is good and hasn't reached his potential or if this is just who he is?

Personally I don't think it is bad that the Bills didn't make a move. I know we all as fans think there is a big need at WR, but sometimes when teams don't make moves it is a sign that they like what they have.

No. As others have said, Dotson duplicates what we have.

There are about 10-15 WR's to trade for, and Dotson is not close to one of them.

You trade for a #1 receiver if you are one piece away from seriously contending for the Super Bowl, if the team has the cap space, and the player is either on a rookie contract and/or willing to commit for 3-5 years.

Next year...a very reasonable and desirable option. This year, the Bills do not meet any of those criterion.

Hard pass!

• Like (+1) 1

He's just a guy. He wouldn't move the needle here. We need a #1.

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

So a few hours ago I suggested that the Bills would get no more than a Third for Elam….and based on the Wash/Phil trade it appears I was right.

I doubt we could get a 3rd. He has barely played.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I like Dotson a lot.  Weird move by Washington here. I have a feeling both parties wanted this.  

I wonder if they got any other offers.

I wonder how NFL would react to two teams in same division which cooperated with each other to try to beat two other teams in division as well as other teams in NFL.

15 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah- I was just stating the one thing that Dotson has working in his favor- more to the point that Shakir is just a better WR.  I wouldn’t trade shakir for Dotson and a 3rd

Very true.  Also, even with Washington eating his bonus, shakir is still a cheaper cap hit.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, harmonkillebrew said:

No.  We need a #1 WR, not a #3 and not for that price.

Trade for Davante Adams or Ayiuk.  That's about all that's left.

I don’t mean to pick on you, but I’m honestly sick of everyone saying we need to fix our perceived issues at WR by acquiring someone from another organization. Honestly that’s all Beane has done for most part except Davis.  Diggs, Saunders, Crowder, Brown, Beasley, Samuel, McKenzie, Sherfield Hollins, MVS, Harty etc… Sometimes it worked great (Diggs, Beasley) and sometimes it didn’t, but it’s not a sustainable team building model.   Just look at how hard it's been during this camp to get quality WR depth when you’re hiring castoffs from other organizations.  

Investing and developing our own skill players has been long overdue. It saves significant cap space and helps the team grow together. Cook, Shakir, Kincaid, and Coleman have all been drafted in the last 3 years and our team is the better for it.  Coleman is actually the 1st top 64 pick Beane has used on a WR during his tenure.I just wish Beane had drafted a 2nd WR in this past draft.  

More to the point, it's time to give Shakir his shot at being the top WR threat.  His numbers last year, his first year really utilized in the offense, is very reminiscent of Diggs’s rookie season, except Shakir caught everything thrown his way and was more explosive.

Shakir 39/45 611 15.7 2TDs 86.7% Success% 73.3%

Diggs  52/84 720 13.8 4TDs 61.9% Success% 46.6%

We don’t need Aiyuk, or Dotson or ________ .  We need to continue the draft and develop path.  I look at GB and love what they are building with Love at QB.  In 2022 & 2023 they drafted 4 WRs and 2 TEs; some with premium picks and some with middle round picks, but all given an opportunity and all are contributing. It past time we did the same and Cook, Shakir, Coleman and Kincaid are a very good start, but they are not enough.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, harmonkillebrew said:

No.  We need a #1 WR, not a #3 and not for that price.

Trade for Davante Adams or Ayiuk.  That's about all that's left.

That's not going to happen. We don't have the money to take on their contract and don't have the ways to come up with that money. You have to be able to take on their current contract before you can restructure it.