Commanders trade WR Jahan Dotson to the Eagles. Would you have done this move if you ran the Bills?

Logic

8 minutes ago, Billl said:

Dotson has played in 25 straight games.  Hamler has played in 23 games total in his 4 year career.  Dotson has 11 TDs in his 2 year career.  Hamler has 3 in his 4 year career.  They aren’t similar in any meaningful way other than both being WRs from Penn State.

Who?

Khalil Shakir. 

21 minutes ago, Billl said:

Who?

In a straight up who you taking I might take Dotson but it would be close. But in Shakir and a 3rd round pick or Dotson it is Shakir and the pick without doubt. I only had just over a round between them when I evaluated them coming out. I know Dotson went mid 1st and Shakir went 5th but I had a mid 2 on Dotson and a late 3rd on Shakir. Now at this point if you redrafted them..... they would go pretty close together. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In a straight up who you taking I might take Dotson but it would be close. But in Shakir and a 3rd round pick or Dotson it is Shakir and the pick without doubt. I only had just over a round between them when I evaluated them coming out. I know Dotson went mid 1st and Shakir went 5th but I had a mid 2 on Dotson and a late 3rd on Shakir. Now at this point if you redrafted them..... they would go pretty close together. 

And after this season, shakir would go higher than Dotson.  

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Quite possible

I’d venture to say very likely.  Although Dotson is in the envious position of having zero interest of opposing DCs now in Philly, while shakir is going to become one of the focal points of opposing defenses.  I’m confidant Shakir is the superior player at this point.  The kid is putting in work, his recognition is coming 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’d venture to say very likely.  Although Dotson is in the envious position of having zero interest of opposing DCs now in Philly, while shakir is going to become one of the focal points of opposing defenses.  I’m confidant Shakir is the superior player at this point.  The kid is putting in work, his recognition is coming 

Yeah, but he's also in the less envious position of being an afterthought in that offense.  Shakir is likely to get tougher coverage looks, but a lot more targets this year while Dotson likely is 5th on his team in targets behind Brown, Smith, Barkley and Goedert.  

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, MR8 said:

Not for that price. I like the idea of adding unrealized talent, but a 3 for 5 is too much IMO.

Not a doom n gloom poster at all, but man.... I would've done it, but the fact is, it wouldn't have taken multiple picks to have taken a 2nd WR in this past draft.

That's what leaves me frustrated here.

No excuses to not go all in on a major, top of his position WR, in 2025. Invest that extra Diggs 2nd, back into the position

7 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Yeah, but he's also in the less envious position of being an afterthought in that offense.  Shakir is likely to get tougher coverage looks, but a lot more targets this year while Dotson likely is 5th on his team in targets behind Brown, Smith, Barkley and Goedert.  

Yeah- I was just stating the one thing that Dotson has working in his favor- more to the point that Shakir is just a better WR.  I wouldn’t trade shakir for Dotson and a 3rd

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Would you have paid the price the Eagles just paid? A 3rd and two 7ths for Dotson and a 5th?

Personally, I feel as though it would've been a good trade for the Bills, given the extra 2nd they have in hand next year.

One could argue that perhaps his skills would be redundant, with similarities to Samuel and with Shakir seemingly having the slot locked up. Still...He's a talented guy who could benefit from a change of scenery.

At first I thought I would as I read it quickly and thought it was him getting traded for a 5th...then as soon as I read it again and realized it was a 3rd...nah, I wouldn't pay that price for what essentially would be a backup WR because as you said he is a bit redundant with Shakir and Samuel here, who I think are both better players anyway.  

I would be open to a trade that pushes MVS off this roster though because I am not looking forward of having to refrain from throwing things at my TV when he puts on a drop clinic to put even Davis to shame.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yea kinda depends what the Philly offense looks like. But he should have a LOT of opportunity as the slot with those guys outside.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Personally, I think Shakir would go much higher than Dotson even right now.  I watch or listen to a lot of sports talk shows...not the Stephen A Smith kind of garbage either.  Good shows where they regularly have guests that include current and past head coaches, GM's, players, etc.   And when they are talking about the Bills this year, they almost always talk about how good they think Shakir is, loving his game, etc.   

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, julian said:

They might not be showing the urgency because much like the Edmonds leaving situation when everybody outside the building was panicking, they had a plan and felt good about it.

Now of course it doesn’t mean they’ll be correct again this time, but may explain the lack of urgency.

Good points.  They watch their guys day in and day out on the practice field.  I think they really like Hollins Coleman Shakir (who could be a top 10 receiver in the league this year.) and Samuel.  And probably like Shavers and Hamler (if he can stay healthy also) too.  And maybe MVS comes back quickly also.  

The Bill have been one of the top teams in the league pretty much since 2019.  I think on the whole management has done an excellent job.  The Eagles have a bunch of receivers.  But a QB who can't really get them the ball.  And a defense that absolutely collapsed last year.  And a coaching staff pretty much in disarray.  Have the fans lost their minds like many on here have? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Would you have paid the price the Eagles just paid? A 3rd and two 7ths for Dotson and a 5th?

Personally, I feel as though it would've been a good trade for the Bills, given the extra 2nd they have in hand next year.

One could argue that perhaps his skills would be redundant, with similarities to Samuel and with Shakir seemingly having the slot locked up. Still...He's a talented guy who could benefit from a change of scenery.

Good OP.

3 separate points

Not sure I would have paid that at this point during a Football season.

Change of scenery is always  A hope and pray proposition.

If Bills had serious injury concerns to get them off to a good solid start to the season ? I might do this deal.

Does anyone really think he might hit his stride under Brady , or the Eagles ?

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Personally, I think Shakir would go much higher than Dotson even right now.  I watch or listen to a lot of sports talk shows...not the Stephen A Smith kind of garbage either.  Good shows where they regularly have guests that include current and past head coaches, GM's, players, etc.   And when they are talking about the Bills this year, they almost always talk about how good they think Shakir is, loving his game, etc.   

FWIW, I’d take Shakir over Dotson right now. 
They’re similar players I think. Similar size, similar strengths. Dotson is faster and maybe a better deep ball tracker. Shakir is a better rote runner and separator and has more consistent hands. 

• Thank you (+1) 1